SASS Wire Forum

LR Magnum Primers with BP on .45-70?

Cholla

A local shop has a stock of LR Magnum primers. Good idea/Bad idea for BP on a .45-70? I do not know the brand just yet.

Thanks all. Against all odds I was able to pick up a brick of Winchester LR Magnum primers at a local shop.

OK Grit’s, it’s you and me not in agreement with this thread ...

*. Magnum primers with a long flash are going to blast the BP powder column like a Sherman Tank creating a large

briance that will disrupt the powder column

*  The objective igniting a BP powder column is to have a low briance because BP does not explode, it deflagurates

*. To create this low briance, there is a large number of match BPCR shooters that use CCI BR-2 primers or even Federal LP primers, both which throw a shorter lower briance flame than magnums 

I shoot a lot of BPCR calibers and this is why my primer inventory now is over 4500 CCI BR-2 bench rest primers 

For Cowboy though with the short distances..... any primer available can be used to ignite BP because there are really no long distances that require low briance for accuracy 

52 minutes ago, John Boy said:

OK Grit’s, it’s you and me not in agreement with this thread ...

*. Magnum primers with a long flash are going to blast the BP powder column like a Sherman Tank creating a large

briance that will disrupt the powder column

*  The objective igniting a BP powder column is to have a low briance because BP does not explode, it deflagurates

*. To create this low briance, there is a large number of match BPCR shooters that use CCI BR-2 primers or even Federal LP primers, both which throw a shorter lower briance flame than magnums 

I shoot a lot of BPCR calibers and this is why my primer inventory now is over 4500 CCI BR-2 bench rest primers 

For Cowboy though with the short distances..... any primer available can be used to ignite BP because there are really no long distances that require low briance for accuracy 

I use Br2 and hope never to have to use mag primer.

But, if that's all you can find. Better than not shoot'n.

Put a double wad of white coffee filter paper on the inside bottom of the case to muffle the spark a bit?

OLG 

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Do not do this as it can lead to a hangfire

Disagree 110%

A paper disc over the primer pocket at the bottom of the case in BPCR loading, has been proven to lower ES in velocity what in turn reduces vertical stringing.

This is a common procedure in BPCR loading.

OLG 

The more I learn the more I think I should just sell the Sharps...

3 minutes ago, Cholla said:

The more I learn the more I think I should just sell the Sharps...

That's no fun and would be boreing.

Smokeless or BP there is a lot to learn if you want to shoot well at long range.  You need to pick up a couple of good books.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why?

OLG 

This seems pretty overwhelming at times. I think I need to find someone local that is into this to watch and learn from. I have not read anything about coffee filters in my books so that's a new twist.

6 hours ago, Cholla said:

This seems pretty overwhelming at times. I think I need to find someone local that is into this to watch and learn from. I have not read anything about coffee filters in my books so that's a new twist.

Have you looked over the Shiloh Sharps Forum? 

The coffee filter deal is just part of loading match grade BPCR ammo. Not a necessity....

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you looked over the Shiloh Sharps Forum? 

The coffee filter deal is just part of loading match grade BPCR ammo. Not a necessity....

OLG 

I have read many of the topics but until I start putting it to use it doesn't stick in my brain. I will get this worked out.

Cholla- and you won't.  Very few experienced BPCR community shooters are on the SASS Wire .exclusively on the Shiloh Forum.  Register and one can learn a lot.

PS: construction paper and cigarette paper also works in the case in front of the primer hole. I've found it even reduces the briance more using CCI BR-2 primers

And wads come in all different flavors  too:  LDPE of various thicknesses, card board, cork, lubed felt (my favorite), fiber etc. and one can ever reduce fouling by putting a 1/16 or 3/8" lube wad before the wads used against the bullet base and a thin wad behind the lubed one Here's a good trick to determine if one has to champher the case mouth - pull a fish hook UP inside the case and if it hangs up, the case has burrs that are needed to be LIGHTLY champhered off for shooting accuracy - don't grind the mouth down to a razors edge. One more for your inventory, for accuracy, expand the case so there is 0.001 to 0.002 tension on the seated bullet

Archived