SASS Wire Forum

who Build this pile of junk???? oh wait I did

Dirty Dog Doug

the first 5 shooters  knocked down all 4 targets  . Then it was my turn to miss one !

my second shot was edge hit but with so much lean forward it did not go down 

we adjusted them closer to plumb for next posse and they had no problems 

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

about the same as all our other shotgun targets .

worst from one guy who shoots a 28" barrel with full choke pattern is about One inch 

no one hit the square face of angle iron base .

after all we are shooting a steel plate at close range  ..why we need glasses and do the cough in to your elbow face guarding 

only blood drawn was pistol target nick and bandaid fixed it 

the pic is our  old single targets 

IMG_0326.JPG

You have another physics problem.   The target has to lift the chain off the ground and then drag it back so the target can fall.  And the Chains are connected.  An Object at Rest wants to stay at Rest.  The more mass you're trying to move, the more force is required.  Both in the target and the Chain attached to it.

Suggest a short arm down low on the vertical target pole at about 45 degrees.  Shorter pull on the chain (for the target) and separate the chains.  Each change will reduce the force needed to knock the target down.

Re-mount the targets to the support so the bottom of the target is 5 - 10 degrees back from vertical.  You DO NOT want the top of the target plate to pivot away.  If there is any pivot, the BOTTOM of the target should pivot away from the firing line.

Your Getting there. 

IMO you should never make adjustments after to a knockdown match has begun. The first posse was not afforded the same target opportunity as the following posse's. Consider that any shooters following you on your posse may have slowed down and took more careful aim after seeing your tribulations. These shooters were in effect given a penalty to be sure the targets fell. As I said, just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

IMO you should never make adjustments after to a knockdown match has begun.

We used some heavy, ugly, finger pinching knock down shotgun targets for years.  They had a bolt to adjust the forward lean.  As they were shot, and reset a number of times,  the forward lean would increase until it was not able to go down with a solid hit.  We would make adjustments and go on. We finally got money ahead to replace them with reaction targets.  

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

IMO you should never make adjustments after to a knockdown match has begun. The first posse was not afforded the same target opportunity as the following posse's. Consider that any shooters following you on your posse may have slowed down and took more careful aim after seeing your tribulations. These shooters were in effect given a penalty to be sure the targets fell. As I said, just my opinion. 

We have sandy loose soil at many of the ranges out here in the high desert. Adjustments have to be made, sometimes between each posse, raking, kicking dirt, etc.

Depends on the type of target too. Bolts get loose. 

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

the first 5 shooters  knocked down all 4 targets  . Then it was my turn to miss one !

my second shot was edge hit but with so much lean forward it did not go down 

we adjusted them closer to plumb for next posse and they had no problems 

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

Those shadows would jack with my vision. 

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

point taken every one should get the same targets  no matter how bad 

but since I was the only one of 9 in the posse to miss them..I hit the foot but the target did not go down it moved an inch but fell back 

the second posse did not know about any adjustment and they had the 3 tops shooters of 9 

most in our club know if you shoot slow to shoot clean  you will shoot slow with more misses 

Best part they where all made from  steel I found in gun clubs "yard"

I see what Irish Ike is referring to - trying to keep targets relatively fair and consistent.

At larger matches you have to monitor the target set up so that you have reasonably similar targets.  Depending on the ground, as more shooters hit the targets, the condition can change a lot.  So some adjustment may be required - either to lighten the fall or increase resistance to be more like the first shooters experienced..

On 11/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

At annuals, regionals etc you shouldn't adjust anything unless its for safety or target failure. Monthlies are for what they just did. New target. It sort of worked, let's adjust it.

Yep break in run ... it seem I was the only one to miss my own target 

This shoot was a train wreck..

Cold so eveen smokeless cowboys has steam off our guns 

we could not have a smoked turkey dinner after cause of the Vid

Our trail boss was out of town shooten Wild bunch

Second trail boss was taking care of his bride who just had a total knee done 

Stage writter though the shoot was Sunday after Thanksgiving 

We had only 19 cowboys usally 40+

We took the stages from 2 weeks ago and had turkey shoot  leftovers 

with a posse of 9 it was going fast so we could allow those with lots of ammo to make 2 runs 

Best thing the targets  where Free or close to it all the steel was "found" in the gun clubs "yard"

I bought the chain in the 90s and just taking up space 

4 bucks for shackles  and 10 for can of galvie stuff 

On 11/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, Assassin said:

Those shadows would jack with my vision. 

On 11/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, Waimea said:

Thinking the same.

Those are "shadow shooters".

On 11/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

My experience is that many KD targets require adjustments as the match continues.  Repeated pressure of being hit and targets falling cause the target stands, in many cases, to be driven into the ground.  Often the rearward tilt will inhibit the target from getting back to vertical.  The stand can be lifted out of the holes and Sat back on level ground.

Archived