SASS Wire Forum

Buying guns because of ammo availability.

Dantankerous

Locally there is a large sporting goods store that is selling almost every medium and large caliber hunting round available. 243, 25-06, 6mm, 35 Remington and 35 Whelen, 6.5 Creedmore and Grendel, 300 Win mag. 338, 7mm mag, 30-06, some 308, 444 Marlin, 450 Bushmaster, 450 Marlin, many others. No 30-30 or 45-70 though. :( Their inventory is seemingly hundreds of boxes of each, price not great but not horrendous either.

Also locally and online you can find plenty of 500 S&W mag. Yeah, I know. 500 S&W. Wow!

There is simply no availability anywhere of more common calibers for handguns or rifles. 380 up to 44 mag and 45 Colt. And no 223, 5.56, 300 Blk, 6.8Rem... basically anything remotely militaryish. I know why.

Standing in the ammo aisle perusing available calibers I have overheard conversations where others are expressing the desire to buy guns they don't have just because of certain ammo availability. Since there are no limits on hunting ammo purchases somebody can come in clean up the entire selection. When this starts to happen there won't be anything left anywhere.

And I'm very tempted myself.

I don't see anything getting better anytime soon. But primer availability would sure make things a little nicer...  :o

Another problem is dirtbags that have no real jobs go to stores, stand in lines, buy up everything they can to resell for huge profits once they get home. The stores all stock at regular intervals and the dirtbags find out and exploit this. 

And then there are the hoarders that just buy up everything even though they have enough at home to stock a guns store and then some. 

EDIT: I should have said “Hoarding just because they can and buy things just so others can’t get it”. Saw a lot of that in Oregon a few years ago. 

:angry:

I've also contemplated buying some odd caliber guns but I'm limited to where to shoot them and I haven't hunted in years!

One idea I had was getting a good trap shooting shotgun and getting back into that. I reload shotgun and there seems to be no shortage of primers, powder etc. plus factory SG is readily available. I've never owned an over and under and I'm thinking about it!!

I have never seen so much 10mm ammo.

Been thinking about buying conversion cylinders for my two Pietta 1851 with the intention of shooting .45 Cowboy Specials.  I am rethinking that since I found the same cylinders in .45 ACP.  I have several thousand of .45 ACP in small primer configuration.  This set up would allow me flexibility on primers.

"And then there are the hoarders that just buy up everything even though they have enough at home to stick a guns store and then some".

Or they are the prudent ones who bought when available after the last shortage. And are now sitting comfortably with no worries about running out! I guess call me a hoarder. But I can shoot and not worry.

58 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

"And then there are the hoarders that just buy up everything even though they have enough at home to stick a guns store and then some".

Or they are the prudent ones who bought when available after the last shortage. And are now sitting comfortably with no worries about running out! I guess call me a hoarder. But I can shoot and not worry.

I edited my post. 

Prudence is one thing greed and animosity is another. 

The local shop sold some dusty 357sig pistols because they still had 357 sig boxes on the shelf.  Ammo was limited to two boxes per person per day or per firearm purchase.  One customer bought 2 pistols to buy 4 boxes.  

Personally, I might buy a conversion barrel to fire 357 sig through an existing 40 s&w.  Overpaying the current pistol prices for an available ammunition that has never been more than a curiosity, no thanks.  If the 357 sig pistol was on sale, I may buy it, then buy a conversion barrel to run 40 or 9 through it.

You could take a risk that things will improve before too long and sell and make a great deal perhaps?  Enough to buy a dream new reloading setup or whatever......challenges always have opportunities.  

Here in CA, a dirtbag who gets caught scalping ammunition is going to have his rectum married to his cell mate for quite awhile.
All (legal) ammo sales in CA require a Real ID, and FFL and DROS forms for the transaction.

I'm not concerned about trading boxes of 243 Hornady Superformance Varmint for boxes of ?? that I might need.
However, scalping for profit on a large scale, is gonna land the perp in a lot of hot water.

I do admit to acquiring a new '06 even though I don't hunt game... because I have a safe full of '06 ammo from my Dad... and I always wanted a nice '06...
:D

Scalping ammo using an internet auction sites is not illegal in CA if the buyer has a C&R FFL or the ammo is sent to a CA FFL or CA  licensed ammo dealer that is willing to handle the transfer.

8 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I'm starting to think it might be fun to get a flintlock rifle to play around with...:blink:

Wait, haven’t you heard about the anticipated Great Flint Shortage in 2021!

Seamus 

16 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

How come 40 caliber stopped being so popular?  

FBI switched to 9mm again so many municipalities and civilians followed.  The market dropped out of 40 a couple years ago.  Many retailers talked about being shocked by the demand for 40 during this COVID scare.

8 hours ago, JD Lud said:

You could take a risk that things will improve before too long and sell and make a great deal perhaps?  Enough to buy a dream new reloading setup or whatever......challenges always have opportunities.  

Good idea.  Tomorrow’s project should involve cleaning the drawer of old boxes left by arms that went down the trail.

The calibers that are still available are the ones fewer people shoot. Because of that, once inventory is depleted they will also be the last ones to finally return to the shelves. The reason for that is because priority is being given to producing the popular calibers like 9mm and 5.56, and nobody is going to produce a run of .44 Special or .35 Whelen ammo until the major calibers are being restocked on a regular basis. So enjoy shooting your 8mm Nambu now while you can still find ammo for it.

46 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

FBI switched to 9mm again so many municipalities and civilians followed.  The market dropped out of 40 a couple years ago.  Many retailers talked about being shocked by the demand for 40 during this COVID scare.

I was wondering why my local store had 40 caliber.  Many moons ago my department toyed with the glock 23 for carry even though we had to buy our own at the time.  Then I opted to trade my glock 23 to a local deputy that was good to come provide backup to us since sometimes we only had 1 officer on duty. 

I traded for his 686 Smith and wesson.   Then since I had no hips and the 686 pulled my pants down I gave it back with the understanding he would give me cash.  

He was murdered on duty not long after our deal, but before he paid me  for the gun he had from me.  A few years ago I missed him still so I bought another glock 23.  It seems to have brought me closure.   I've never fired it.   I did buy ammo, including the other day.   Might have been a good purchase for lots of reasons. 

i did not hoard - i slowly and methodically stocked up on what i shoot regularly over the years with the intent of not being dependent on fluctuating markets , my big error this year was to decide last december to load for a new caliber that i only previously shot on rare occasions , ive got what i need save the primers , ill sit and wait and shoot what ive always shot for now , 

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

i did not hoard - i slowly and methodically stocked up on what i shoot regularly over the years with the intent of not being dependent on fluctuating markets...

Yup. There is a difference. I have been telling people for 2 years to stock up on ammo. Some listened, some did not. Now the folks that I told to buy ammo when it was available and inexpensive are calling me asking me "where I can buy ammo." I tell they they missed their chance. Then the question becomes, "Well... won't you sell some of yours?" :blink:

Like mentioned the problem becomes when one wants to jump into a new caliber, one that maybe they had no interest in a year ago and now that person has to start from scratch with no ability to do so.

I remember in the 1980s when senator Moynihan advocated a severe tax on ammo.  I started adding ammo back then, whenever I could.  A box here and there and not really buy during times of shortage unless I had shot some.  

I've noticed that cap supplies can be found right now so I bought some like I used to do ammo.  

When there was plenty of ammo and loading supplies available with no shortage in sight nobody cared if bought a case every time that one of Big suppliers put a free hazmat sale on. Over time that adds up. Now, if you have all of those case they are mad at you and call you a hoarder. Don't think it won't be the same if food were to get scarce. If you are smart, you WILL get some long term food stocked up....NOW!

My Dad had a huge stock of light bulbs.
He was a Lions Club member, and we did the yearly fundraiser of light bulbs, door mats, etc, etc, so we wound up with cases of bulbs.

Light bulbs never go bad.
They never get any cheaper than when he bought each case.
We always had a light bulb when we needed one.

I found an 8 lb tub of IMR 4350 at my LGS.
It was the same price as Internet + Hazmat + Shipping, but it was in my hands, so I picked it up.
My stocks of Clays and Trail Boss were picked up on those free hazmat sales before it all went South.

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Then the question becomes, "Well... won't you sell some of yours?" :blink:

My answer is always "NO". The only people I will help  with ammo are friends and family, damn good friends. I do not have many of those and the "family" is my immediate family.

I guess if one were an anti-gun leftist and they looked at my ammo supply they would think I had WAY too much ammo.

One of y'all might look at it and say, "Wow, that's it?"

It's all about perspectives.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My answer is always "NO". The only people I will help  with ammo are friends and family, damn good friends. I do not have many of those and the "family" is my immediate family.

I guess if one were an anti-gun leftist and they looked at my ammo supply they would think I had WAY too much ammo.

One of y'all might look at it and say, "Wow, that's it?"

It's all about perspectives.

C'mon Pat you know I'm practically your best friend so you can send me some small pistol primers!!:P or .38's would be nice too!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

C'mon Pat you know I'm practically your best friend so you can send me some small pistol primers!!:P or .38's would be nice too!

3 or 4? You didn't say how many...:P

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

3 or 4? You didn't say how many...:P

3000 would be all I need. Thanks man I knew I could count on you!:lol:

10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

3000 would be all I need. Thanks man I knew I could count on you!:lol:

No, I meant three or four...No  attached zeroes. I might be able  to go with five, but that would be pushing it....:D

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No, I meant three or four...No  attached zeroes. I might be able  to go with five, but that would be pushing it....:D

Thanks Ill take 'em, could you ship those overnight to Ohio?:P

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks Ill take 'em, could you ship those overnight to Ohio?:P

Okay but I am not removing the dents out  of the back of them....

12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Like mentioned the problem becomes when one wants to jump into a new caliber, one that maybe they had no interest in a year ago and now that person has to start from scratch with no ability to do so.

yes indeed , i have enough factory ammo to shoot what i bought but i was looking to reload and got as far as but just short of primers , i can wait till they are back in stock - just put my winter reloading for that on hold till it does , not the end of my world - as i said i just decided to do this the first of the year , i have adequate supply of what ive always shot ..and ...had planned to continue shooting , 

Archived