SASS Wire Forum

Use For FFFF BP in Our Game?

Cholla

I got carried away at a local gunshop that was having a yard sale and selling off all of their remaining stock of BP. In the mix was a pound of FFFF. I know it is supposed to be for flintlock priming. I suspect using it in BP cartridges would overload the round to some extent. What can it be used for in CAS equipment?

The ODG's used to use it in small amounts when they loaded BP big bore cartridges. Maybe as much as .5cc in the case before adding the rest of the powder in order to insure more consistent ignition of the round. That is 1/2 cc, the next to smallest dipper in the Lee set.

kR

A pard I know had a few pounds of it, and used it in his 36 caliber 1851 Navies.

Said it felt & shot about the same as the FFFg he normally used.

--Dawg 

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I have experimented with it for other uses and really did not find any that were suitable for for cowboy shooting.

kR

I wondered what that loud bang in the  back of my truck was in Alabama! :wacko:

Kajun

6 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I wondered what that loud bang in the  back of my truck was in Alabama! :wacko:

Kajun

I think it was them New Englanders you was cavortin with and you got some of their Saturday nite beans.

kR

PS I have used it in 32 H&R mags, it is a pretty sharp load.

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Hey I like that idea.  @Cholla if you don't have any 32 short revolvers I can take the ammo off your hands

I am confused. I don't have any .32 Short revolvers or ammunition. What ammo are you referring to?

1 hour ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Has anyone used it in 12 gauge?

Seamus

You could do it once in each barrel.... like Wile E Coyote

giphy.gif

On 11/21/2020 at 8:44 PM, Cholla said:

I suspect using it in BP cartridges would overload the round to some extent.

Why do you suspect so?  

It's black powder.

Smaller grain size, slightly more propellant per volume, adjust your load accordingly.

Original 44 WCF used FFFFg equivalent powder, not that most CAS shooters want highest velocity, but FFFFg will not magically blow up your firearm any more than any other granulation.

On 11/22/2020 at 4:17 AM, Kid Rich said:

The ODG's used to use it in small amounts when they loaded BP big bore cartridges. Maybe as much as .5cc in the case before adding the rest of the powder in order to insure more consistent ignition of the round. That is 1/2 cc, the next to smallest dipper in the Lee set.

kR

What he said. I especially liked doing that when I was trying to get rid of a case of Pyrodex.

I received a pound as a gift.  I mixed it at about 1/5 in with the FFg I use in my rifle and pistol loads.   Mixed in small batches.   All went bang with no noticeable change in recoil or point of impact (Of course, I was doing the shooting so who really knows?).  

Chancy

8 hours ago, Palouse said:

Why do you suspect so?  

It's black powder.

Smaller grain size, slightly more propellant per volume, adjust your load accordingly.

Original 44 WCF used FFFFg equivalent powder, not that most CAS shooters want highest velocity, but FFFFg will not magically blow up your firearm any more than any other granulation.

The grain size used in ammo made from 1874 - 1918 in .38 Wcf. , .44 Wcf. and .45 Colt Compares very closely to Goex fffg. !!! 

And properly loaded in modern Cases with bullets of 180 gr. (.38 Wcf ), 220 gr. ( .44 Wcf ) and 255 gr. .45 colt... It matches both in velocity and pressures that of original loads from the times past ....

Jabez Cowboy  

My Lyman BP Manual shows loads using FFFF for small caliber pistols but it also shows reducing the load a few grains. It does not show its use in large calibers, which is what I am planning on using. (.45-70)

On 11/22/2020 at 5:46 PM, Cholla said:

I am confused. I don't have any .32 Short revolvers or ammunition. What ammo are you referring to?

Well that's perfect then.  Bailey creek suggested using your 4F powder for 32 short.  I have a couple of 32 short revolvers and I don't reload.  So you could do that and give all that ammo you can't use to me. 

Works out perfectly if you ask me. 

That's 32 S&W short BTW. 

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Well that's perfect then.  Bailey creek suggested using your 4F powder for 32 short.  I have a couple of 32 short revolvers and I don't reload.  So you could do that and give all that ammo you can't use to me. 

Works out perfectly if you ask me. 

That's 32 S&W short BTW. 

Ah...humor...got it.

Works great for your .32 caliber Cap Guns ! 

So saith the Rooster 

Archived