SASS Wire Forum

WR Long Distance Recommendations?

Cholla

I know this is late but what 45-70 bullet weight is best for the BSSR, Quigley, and Bill Williams shoots? I have molds for 405 and 535. The BSSR is at 280/300 yards, the Quigley is 385 yards, and the Bill Williams is at 500 meters. (Using BP.)

I have no idea on the ROT. It's an older Shiloh Sharps that has the C. Sharps sights.

The three molds I have are:

Lyman 457193 405 grain

Lyman 457132 535 grain - Postell

SAECO 65745 525 grain

I bought them at an estate sale last year.

1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I use a 500 Gr. RCBS Bullet. With 72 Gr, 1 1/2 Swiss powder.

Have shot this load out to 600 Yards. Very accurate load.

SPG Bullet LUBE. 

What do you do for fouling control in-between shots?

OLG 

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What do you do for fouling control in-between shots?

OLG 

pour water down the barrel. 

20 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

WR is sort of long range. But it is also speed rifle. Winner = most hits in shortest time. Practice loading and repeating as fast as you can. I also don't like it but smokeless may be the ticket for speed.

That's why I don't blow and swab unless it is a True and Real Long Range match. 

I use .458" 500 Grn. RN Lyman 1-Cav. Mould #457125.  Lyman Single Cavity Cast Bullet Mould produces Lyman Rifle bullet #457125, .458" nominal diameter, 525 grain, Round Nose bullet This is the original standard 500 grain 45-70 Government bullet. This has been in the mould line for nearly 100 years. Lyman Top Punch #374, Item#LYM2786719. Approximate Bullet Dimensions: Bullet Length-1.350". Bottom of Crimp Groove to Bullet Nose-0.76".  It gives me a 530 gr bullet used in a C Sharps, a H&R Trapdoor, and a 1884 Trapdoor.  I used them to shoot to 700 yards.  I don't have a flexible cleaning rod so use a blow tube.   My best was 7 out of 10 on a ram my not so good was 0 out of 10 shots, today with my 75 year old eyes get 3 or 4 hits is great.  I like a a big heavy bullet if I am shooting over 200 yards.  My guns just shoot better with heavy bullets.  All the guns have their own load they like.  

Our long range side match is a bit different. We shoot out to 700 yards. But we line up 5 shooters and go down the line shooting the same target. Usually 300 to 700 yards for 4 targets total. 5 rounds each. It's cored by points. Closer targets less points. 1 hit at 700 yards is better than 3 hits at 300 yards. 2 spotters and a score keeper. It isn't timed. This way after you fire a round you have time to swab your barrel and make sight adjustments. It allows smokeless and BP to compete together.

Spotters just say hit or miss, high right etc. They don't give adjustment info.  Thats on the shooter.

Without a doubt a heavier bullet will do you better at any yardage. Especially past 300 yards/meters.

Ike

On 11/23/2020 at 11:08 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I read on the SASS Northwest FB page about 40 minutes ago that Winter Range was just cancelled...? Anybody know?

Here is the thread on this forum Winter Range 2021 is Cancelled - SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

Archived