SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of war movies

Utah Bob #35998

Here's a list.

It's not my list.

It's just a list. ;)

50 BEST WWII MOVIES OF ALL TIME

Not my list either.

The Longest Day #48, 12 spots behind a cartoon about the guy that design the Zero.

No mention on The Battle of Britain, Waterloo, Zulu or The Patriot.

We need some more movies about The American Revolution.

4 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Not my list either.

The Longest Day #48, 12 spots behind a cartoon about the guy that design the Zero.

No mention on The Battle of Britain, Waterloo, Zulu or The Patriot.

We need some more movies about The American Revolution.

Well these ar WWII movies so Waterloo and Zulu would be a stretch.

One thing I, and perhaps some fellow persnickety grammar/spelling police here, might notice that in the brief reviews the article's author several times speaks of prison camp inmates as being interred in the camp. Close, dude. So close.  :D

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well these ar WWII movies so Waterloo and Zulu would be a stretch.

Missed that.

I have been to China 8 times for work.  In Shanghai there is a TV channel that showed WWII movies.

Usually the Japanese came into a village, killed the fighting-age men, tortured the remaining g people until the Chinese Army came or the remaining people got together and killed the Japanese.

Well, it is a list, you're right. Not a particularly good one, in my opinion. No A Bridge Too Far, Guns of Navarone, Twelve O'Clock High... I could go on...

I remember my Dad taking us to see Battleground in the theater in 1949; I was 5 years old.  He wanted to see it, which I have learned is unusual because many veterans (he was in the 44th Field Artillery) didn’t want reminders of their experiences.  He liked the movie.  

I think there are surely better ones, but Battleground came out fairly close to the war.

Sorry UB, I could not work through the list, too many ads and popups.  I don’t know if Battleground is considered one of the 50.

34 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I remember my Dad taking us to see Battleground in the theater in 1949; I was 5 years old.  He wanted to see it, which I have learned is unusual because many veterans (he was in the 44th Field Artillery) didn’t want reminders of their experiences.  He liked the movie.  

I think there are surely better ones, but Battleground came out fairly close to the war.

Sorry UB, I could not work through the list, too many ads and popups.  I don’t know if Battleground is considered one of the 50.

I don’t know either. I just kind of scanned the list myself. If it’s not it should be.

https://www.historynet.com/how-mgms-battleground-became-an-unexpected-film-classic.htm

Archived