SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith recommendation please

Fill Yer Hand

I'm new to CAS (less than a year) and am located in AZ. My rifle is a 73 purchased from a gentleman who bought it brand new from pioneer gun works with all their bells and whistles. Lately it has not been extracting cartridges and is jamming up consistently on about every stage. I've done just about everything to resolve the issue with no success. Pioneers website says they do not do general work which I figure this falls under. Any recommendations for a gunsmith I can send it to that can make it dang near bulletproof? Thanks for any input you may have.

have you changed your ammo lately?  when you say not extracting do you mean the brass is sticking in the chamber?

how far are you from Prescott?

Yes the extractor is not removing the spent case from the chamber and causing a feeding issue. I've cleaned it and changed different type of brass and bullet weights and removed the extractor and haven't been able to bail down the issue.

The extractor is pinned into the bolt. I have had gunk build up under the extractor. I had to take the pin out and clean out the channel it sits in. Be careful...it’s a small pin. When you put the pin back in...you may have to file a bit off after it is back in or a rough spot may catch in the action. If you want to put in a new extractor...several smiths have them. Also VTI gun parts should have replacement pins and extractors.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Contact Johnny Meadows in AZ.  He can fix it right.

Very dependable & knows his stuff.

(928)300=6684

Do a good clean up on the extractor pilgrim.

Kid,

Up near Show Low see if you can find Rowdy Lane. 

He doing some "fixits" for folks guns up that way.

If you head toward Buckeye, I'm close.

Ol'  #4

by cleaned it, did you get under it?  also might wanna give that chamber attention as well, if it’s got enough build up the spent cases wanna stick.

If it was my work I would be more than happy to sort it out for you ....

And I think most smiths would feel the same .

Jabez Cowboy

Archived