SASS Wire Forum

Serial No. 9

Lawdog Dago Dom

I held a Colt 1911 with a 700s serial at a restoration shop.  The owner sent it in for a complete refinish.  I judged the gun to be 70% finish and in good condition, certainly not bad enough to refinish a piece of history.

4 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I held a Colt 1911 with a 700s serial at a restoration shop.  The owner sent it in for a complete refinish.  I judged the gun to be 70% finish and in good condition, certainly not bad enough to refinish a piece of history.

I was talking about military guns with a neighbor who told me about an M1 Carbine he purchased in the 60's. He researched the gun and found out it was carried in Europe by a soldier who actually lived about 20 miles away. He told the whole story of where that gun had been, etc. He asked if I wanted to see it. Hell, yes! That was a piece of history I would love to hold!

He disappeared into his basement and brought out the carbine. COMPLETELY STRIPPED AND REFINISHED.

He then told me how rough it was when he got it, and how much work it was sanding the stock and using a wire wheel to get the parkerizing off.

I wanted to cry.

Sadly that sort of vandalism is commonplace. Half the people out there ruin vintage guns by trying to make them look new again, and the other half ruin them by treating them like they're a Hi-Point.

Oh, and then there are the idiots like the one I saw interviewed on a local TV station. He had inherited his dad's evil old service 1911 and decided to "send a message of peace" by giving it to a local artist to melt down and use as part of an anti-gun violence memorial. I'll bet the ghost of his dad must have been really proud of him to destroy something he had risked a court-martial to bring home.

Archived