SASS Wire Forum

Having a hard time finding primers?

So, at 30 seconds a foot burn rate you have 5 seconds to light the fuse, insert the cartridge, close the bolt, aim and then realize the hissing noise at your foot is the last 2 seconds of your fuse burning up...Brilliant! :P

:lol:

I was talking to our fearless leader, Harry Yount, at one of the clubs I shoot at and he said if next year it doesn't get better if folks want to shoot .22's they can. They'll be scored separately as we do with Wild Bunch. This is at Firelands Peacemakers here in Ohio.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I was talking to our fearless leader, Harry Yount, at one of the clubs I shoot at and he said if next year it doesn't get better if folks want to shoot .22's they can. They'll be scored separately as we do with Wild Bunch. This is at Firelands Peacemakers here in Ohio.

Then there won't be any 22's left. And we will be stuck with expensive clubs.

It just dawned on me with the way things are going for me personally with all my injuries / surgeries / healing & PT combined with CoVid issues and ammo/primer shortages I may not be able to shoot matches for some time. 

I do have a few thousand rounds of .22 LR but I have no .22 LR “Cowboy” guns... Hmmm....;)

I stopped in the Missoula Sportsman's Warehouse Monday night to pick up some wads (nada), HSM bullets (nada), a couple pistol rugs, and whatnot, and there was a kid stocking... PRIMERS. :blink: Two boxes of Federal SP, and six boxes of CCI SR. They had a limit of 1000 per customer, so I got one of the Federals, another guy standing there got the other, and a couple others got two of the CCI's. I asked why they were being put out at 5:30 pm on a Monday. He said, "The manager has us put them aside when the truck comes in, and then we put them out at a random time on a different day because there were always the same people here waiting on delivery day to snap them up and resell them for a big profit." I expect the other four were gone before I got to my car.

FederalPrimers.jpg

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It just dawned on me with the way things are going for me personally with all my injuries / surgeries / healing & PT combined with CoVid issues and ammo/primer shortages I may not be able to shoot matches for some time. 

I do have a few thousand rounds of .22 LR but I have no .22 LR “Cowboy” guns... Hmmm....;)

why on earthy would you not - repeat NOT , have any 22cal cowboy guns ? I thought we all did ............im in for shootin them till the 22s run out , just sayin , 

I have a few primers, that I purchased, but haven't reloaded yet. 

I switched to shooting my flintlocks, until the time (if it ever comes) when availability, and prices, are back so some sort of fairness. 

That may take a long, long time, but I can't see paying out the kazoo for primers, when and if you can find them, that is.

I have black powder, and enough patching material, and bullets, and lube, to shoot for a long time.  Since they are flintlocks, I can always find a piece of chert, or some flint, from Britain, or France, or an arrowhead, to use, for ignition. I don't need no stinkin' primers.   

No cow patty is safe. 

W.K. 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

why on earthy would you not - repeat NOT , have any 22cal cowboy guns ? I thought we all did ............im in for shootin them till the 22s run out , just sayin , 

Because I don’t. Cowboy Action is not my only hobby and cowboy guns are definitely not the only guns in the world. Thank God. 

20 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Then there won't be any 22's left. And we will be stuck with expensive clubs.

I don't think so because not everyone will be shooting .22's and plus around here everyone has .22's although they're more expensive than they once were. I don't see there being a shortage of .22's Just MHO

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Because I don’t. Cowboy Action is not my only hobby and cowboy guns are definitely not the only guns in the world. Thank God. 

Here ya go. :D

image.thumb.png.fd89beb16c6606718f2df73e15355b66.png

28 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Here ya go. :D

image.thumb.png.fd89beb16c6606718f2df73e15355b66.png

:lol: Heck, I might as well go ahead and buy a Heritage or a Wrangler. They’re pretty inexpensive.  :D

Oh wait, I need 2...then a lever gun....Henry, definitely a Henry.
Hey, may as well get a .410, right?
Ya know, since we are going “Cowboy Light”.

Oooooh...would a .410 Henry lever gun work? That would be fun! 

Oh, I don’t have holsters. Need to get me some holsters....

Crap, this is gonna get a little spendy....

During the last shortage one of our local big box sporting goods stores, Sportsman's, was really being Adam Henry's. The guys is the gun dept. were buying primers as they came in. Or the'd call their friends and set aside primers for them.

How do we know. When of the guys in the club was on the"friend" list. They'd call him the day before the shipment arrived.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

During the last shortage one of our local big box sporting goods stores, Sportsman's, was really being Adam Henry's. The guys is the gun dept. were buying primers as they came in. Or the'd call their friends and set aside primers for them.

How do we know. When of the guys in the club was on the"friend" list. They'd call him the day before the shipment arrived.

When I worked there and certain items were in short supply and high demand, the manager wouldn't let store employees buy the items for the first day or two or three. This guy was a hawk too, there was no putting things aside as he'd have the LP agent in their office up front watching the cameras - you can't imagine how many cameras there are in one of those little stores. The manager's office in a SW store is also located right above the front entrance and has just a low front wall, so he has a clear view of the entire sales floor from his desk. Two minutes after you stashed something under the counter or in backstock, he'd be on the phone asking you why. Now that didn't stop people from calling their friends, but he did the best he could. The guy was a phenomenal store manager, but a complete dick as a person.

Archived