SASS Wire Forum

.22s. Discuss values and shortcomings!

Urban legend or actual fact, I donna know, but some years back it was said in hunting circles that some young fellow ( 11 YO)?

shot and killed a grizzly bear, in Alaska. He shot it in the ear with a .22 caliber rifle, according to the story. 

I spent my last 13 years working as a field Parole Agent supervising nothing but sex offenders and felons so violent they were on GPS tracking. I told women afraid of shooting anything larger than a .22 to empty the magazine into the goblin's belly button or groin.

Like many of you I got my start with firearms shooting a .22 as a teenager. Once I became an adult I moved on to centerfire firearms, and for awhile had all but stopped shooting any of my .22s. Then in more recent years I started to appreciate the low cost and ease of shooting .22s, and my collection of guns slowly grew. Here in 2020 I'm shooting my .22s almost exclusively, since ammo can still be found on occasion.

For me though it's purely a recreational cartridge. I don't hunt and I see no need to rely on it for self defense with so many better options out there. But sometimes I'll suggest it to people with physical or age constraints, since a .22 they can actually shoot is a lot better than a 9mm they can't.

One of my grandfathers only killed one deer in his life and that was a doe, through the heart at I couldn’t imagine more than 50 yards ( his woods were thick) with a Marlin model 60.

He would dispatch hogs to the back of the head with a 22

22 Long Rifle

Fun

Fun

Fun

Great teaching caliber

Effective for small game hunting

Cheap plinking

Pretty affordable

Kid friendly

Hooks new shooters

Fairly quiet