SASS Wire Forum

The French Laundry

Rye Miles #13621

I know it's a really fancy upscale restaurant but does anyone else think the name The French Laundry isn't too appetizing? :P

26 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know it's a really fancy upscale restaurant but does anyone else think the name The French Laundry isn't too appetizing? :P

Not an appetizing name, but it goes with the history of the building.  It was built as a saloon just after the turn of the century but one.  Prohibition did it for that and the owner turned it into a French steam laundry.  Hence the name.

Would I eat there?  I wish I could afford to eat there.  Not that I would if I could.  https://www.thomaskeller.com/tfl/menu

https://www.thomaskeller.com/sites/default/files/menus/11.20_dinner_with_prices.pdf

White Truffle and Caviar Dinner

• Thursday, November 19th and December 17th, please join us for an Alba White Truffle and Regiis Ova Caviar Dinner

• Prepaid reservation for parties of 1 to 12
      • $1,200 per person
      Book now
    • RESERVATION

Outside Dining Room (Chase Exclusive)

Two tasting menus are offered daily: Chef's Tasting and the Tasting of Vegetables. In the event of rain, booking times will be adjusted.

Exclusive Experience
      • Prepaid reservation for parties of 2
      • $350 per person + add-ons
      Sold Out+ Join waitlist
    • RESERVATION

New Year's Eve

Luxury Tasting Menu to celebrate the new year, to include Ossetra Caviar, White and Black Truffles, and Wagyu beef. Everyone will be greeted with 2008 Bollinger La Grand Année and a gift from Chef...

+ More

• Prepaid reservation for parties of 1 to 10
      • $800 per person
      Book now
    • RESERVATION

The Board Room

Our new private dining room is available for parties of six to twelve guests. This room is in our new building and located next to the wine cellar.

• Prepaid reservation for parties of 6 to 12
      • $450 per person + add-ons
      Book now
    • RESERVATION

Courtyard

This outdoor dining experience is in the courtyard across from our culinary garden. In the event of rain, booking times will be adjusted.

• Prepaid reservation for parties of 8 to 10
      • $450 per person + add-ons

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

yup - im thinking a whole different appetite from that .............

Hate the smell of a laundry. The word laundry sets up my olfactory senses for something besides the smell of food. I wouldn’t eat there regardless of cost or smarm factor. 

It's all about the presentation.

And the clientele.

Good to know the Emperor has a place to dine.  Doesn't that make y'all just so glad...?   Rolling Eyes  

The French Laundry victimized by Christmas Day wine heist [Updates] -  Inside Scoop SF

We had a Governor a few years back, whose politics did not attract me.

But he did ride the subway to work, and carry his lunch in a paper sack.  

I admired his sense of civic responsibility, and his reluctance to spend my money on his personal pleasures.

But that just could not overcome his laughable pretentions to military competence when he ran for President.....

download.jpg

Thinking How many Good In and Out Burgers I could get for one overprice yuppie dinner

Napas river walk has become a place a family can't afford to eat at 

This is starting Recall attempt  number 3 

I'm not saying this to brag, but prior to it closing, I'd dined at The Maisonette in Cincinnati several times. It was arguably among the finest dining establishments in the U.S., with a record number of five star ratings. It was nowhere near the level of pretentiousness that place seems to be, and I would question if the food is as good.

Which all leads me to wonder, how many of the clientele at The French Laundry spend thousands of dollars for their food, while discussing the woes and the needs of the downtrodden poor, all with no sense of irony.

14 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Which all leads me to wonder, how many of the clientele at The French Laundry spend thousands of dollars for their food, while discussing the woes and the needs of the downtrodden poor, all with no sense of irony.

Far too many.  That is after they fly into Napa, or SFO, and have a limo whisk them away to Yountville so they can discuss the horrors of homelessness and climate change.

I always wanted to open a restaurant called “Soup on a Plate” in a really upscale setting and over the top uppity maitre d. The restaurant would serve exactly what’s in the name: soup on a plate. All done as sort of a candid camera gag and watch people try to eat their soup from a plate and the wait staff and all treat the patrons as uncouth and unsophisticated.

I grew up in Napa.  When I left, Napa was a sleepy dump on Hwy 29 at the start of the wine country.  Yountville was dusty little nothing dump with run down Railroad Depot.  Claim to fame was the Cal Vets Home.  There was no "River Walk" as the Napa River hosted a large Leather Tannery (Home of "Napa leather" and Scully).  One could have bought the entire town of Yountville for $50,000.  Calistoga was even cheaper.  The valley was a Gorgeous drive though, and the Wineries that were there offered complimentary tasting and were glad to receive you.  No more.  It's a Shame, really a Shame. 

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

And probably the wine is sour, anyway...

12 hours ago, MizPete said:

Sounds a bit pretentious...just saying

a bit  ?? NO totally pretentious

We go RuthChis . $100 a person with no drinks is all I want to spent 

I remember when the steakhouse at the Napa airport was the place to eat 

long before the river walk 

They'd probably charge you a "baggage fee."   

After all, if you bring your own bottle of wine they charge a $150 "corkage fee."  :wacko:

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm not saying this to brag, but prior to it closing, I'd dined at The Maisonette in Cincinnati several times. It was arguably among the finest dining establishments in the U.S., with a record number of five star ratings. It was nowhere near the level of pretentiousness that place seems to be, and I would question if the food is as good.

I enjoyed the Maisonette and Le Normandie several times in their heyday. Nice places for sure, but they just weren’t my cup of tea. Still, I was sad to see them fold. It was at the bottom downtown Cincinnati’s skid before change came to the city. 

If you and Mrs Doc are looking for a nice night out, try Sotto. It went into Le Normandie’s space. Rustic Italian fare done really well in a comfortable setting. Plus, my daughter used to work there and developed several menu items. No daddy bias. :-)

I sure as heck can't afford "fine dining". Used to frequent a few establishments around here when I had more disposable income. Like my income, those establishments are no more. Most high end places are now up north of us in Jackson Township/Belden Village area. Someplace I really don't want to drive in if I can help it. Just not my cup of tea,or coffee for that matter:rolleyes::blink::lol::blush:

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I enjoyed the Maisonette and Le Normandie several times in their heyday. Nice places for sure, but they just weren’t my cup of tea. Still, I was sad to see them fold. It was at the bottom downtown Cincinnati’s skid before change came to the city. 

If you and Mrs Doc are looking for a nice night out, try Sotto. It went into Le Normandie’s space. Rustic Italian fare done really well in a comfortable setting. Plus, my daughter used to work there and developed several menu items. No daddy bias. :-)

We don't get down to Cincinnati anymore, but if we do, we'll do what we can! It's always good to have something in mind if we do get there.

These days, we tend to stay closer to home. Up until recently, my schedule and her schedule, among other things, kept us from getting away like we used to. Other than a large horse show in Tulsa back in 2012, we haven't been on a real vacation since 2009, when we went to Mackinac Island. I'm hoping that changes in the future, now that I am going to be working a more normal schedule again.

If we go out to a nice restaurant it is local, typically The Winds in Yellow Springs. Not quite The Maisonette, but nice enough for us. They also typically have some good wines. We used to go to The Refectory in Columbus (another amazing wine list) and before that The Worthington Inn (We stayed there for our significantly modified and truncated Honeymoon). This year for our anniversary we stayed at a local B&B that has a very good restaurant, and I was quite happy with that!

Oh, and you can't receive messages.

funny how so many fine dining establishments . supper clubs , have crashed and "burned" [literally] here over the last 30 years or so , we had some real fine places once - some accessible by water on the mississippi , wife and i enjoyed those days but little to none left now , i sorta miss them but then i seldom think of spending that kind of cash these days for a meal , we eat well at home - she is a gourmet chef , lucky to have her as i dont even boil water without burning it , 

7 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

............. but is the food PALATABLE ???

:unsure:

From reports, very much so.  No mistake there, the chef/owner knows his stuff and hires only the best of the best of the best (SIR!).  

Is it good enough to be worth $450 a person?  I don't think any food is that good.

We ate there many years ago with some Napa wine folks. It was good, but overpriced, and the portions were small. Snooty waiters rounded out an experience I never cared to repeat. I'll take a French bistro at a fraction of the cost any day of the week.

Archived