SASS Wire Forum

Who says you can't use your SASS guns for hunting

Knucky McPee

This is kind of SASS related being I use my 1871 Uberti Baby Rolling Block 45-70 in plainsman matches. I normally go hunting with my bow but I decided to use my rolling block this time to get my buffalo.  I am not a good long range shooter as I shake like crazy. Some of my CAS friends call me shakey pudding. Little over a 100 yards right through the heart. It was fun using this rifle for what it was intended for rather than ringing steel.  My guide enjoyed it as well.  I told Black Diamond Deb I should've wore my buffalo chaps and Knucky hat. 

Knucky McPolack

125924476_10215100471943851_7869718666585734074_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Nice!  What state did you bag that in?

In Idaho near Ashton.  The guide service is Elk Safaris West. We have been there a lot getting our elk and buffalo meat.  Great family.

What do they charge for a buffalo hunt, and is it a matter of culling a private herd or finding a buff and getting close enough to shoot?  I'd love to take one with an original .50-70 carbine that was used during the Indian Wars campaigns.

Stay well and safe, Pards.  Happy, Healthy Thanksgiving!

24 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What do they charge for a buffalo hunt, and is it a matter of culling a private herd or finding a buff and getting close enough to shoot?  I'd love to take one with an original .50-70 carbine that was used during the Indian Wars campaigns.

Stay well and safe, Pards.  Happy, Healthy Thanksgiving!

The meat buffalos go for $5000.  If you want to get a trophy bull they are much more. They had two white buffalos including this big guy. Our guides 8 year old daughter shot the smaller white with her 300 blackout right through the heart as well. That was awesome.  Give them a look.  They are an awesome family and treat you like family.   Their bull elks are amazing. It is like entering Jurasic Park.  http://www.elksafariswest.com

Knucky

IMG_3243.jpg

27 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

That's just plain cool, Knucky! 

Thanks Charlie. It was fun.

Knucky: I assume it was with Black Powder as well?

That's Fremont County. It has the Western part of Yellowstone Park on its Eastern edge. My great uncle and my grandfather got an incredibly awesome elk in the Park. Back then, it had not been clear cut on the border and, until they double checked at our place, they thought they were out of the Park.  :)

21 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Knucky: I assume it was with Black Powder as well?

yes. trip seven

16 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Congrats!  I like that.

I got this whitetail with my SASS Uberti '73 last year.  45 Colt.

PC140008.JPG

Wow. That is a beast.  congrats

Archived