SASS Wire Forum

Primer Shortage Analysis

Ozark Shark

Good analysis. 
In Germany there are currently no supply problems at all. 
Probably because all American (Fed, CCI, Rem, Winch.) And all European Primers (Magtech, S&B, Ginex, Geco, RWS, Fiocchi) as well as 
Russian Murom are available. 
We had no toilet paper for months. But that's the difference.  American citizens buy ammunition and guns to protect themselves. 
Germans buy toilet paper because they are afraid of peeking their pants ........

I was thinking of adding a new topic but decided to just add something to this one.

I’ve been watching who is coming to local matches and the shooters list for the ones I miss and there might be a trend showing up.  While most SASS shooters who’ve been around had a good supply of reloading components the newer pards didn’t.  Makes sense when you think that they probably don’t know how much ammo they’d need, maybe couldn’t afford a lot of supplies what with the cost of guns, leather, etc.  It’s starting to look like the newest members are getting hit the hardest and they’re not showing up.  Of course there are exceptions, but if I’m right this shortage could have a greater effect on retaining these newer folks.  And who’s to say if they’ll come back when things finally become available again.  Let’s all hope and pray for a quick end to this craziness for the future of our sport.

The situation reminds me of Aesop's Fables of the Grasshopper and the Ant. Some of us bought when we could and stored supplies. Lesson's were learned from the last shortage. I slowly increased my stockpile of powder, primers, and lead over the last 7 years. I didn't wait for sales or specials. If I saw what I needed and I had the cash it was bought.

40 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The situation reminds me of Aesop's Fables of the Grasshopper and the Ant. Some of us bought when we could and stored supplies. Lesson's were learned from the last shortage. I slowly increased my stockpile of powder, primers, and lead over the last 7 years. I didn't wait for sales or specials. If I saw what I needed and I had the cash it was bought.

Bingo.

Gents, we can post a 100 links about the shortages in the US.  Fact, one company controls the whole supply chain and they have stated they have a 1 billion backlog ... with no time table as to when it will be cleared.  Plus,  when there is a supply, every Tom, Dick and Harry is going gobble up the supply again.  It’s going to generate more posts ... we can’t find any all over again.  The short term correction is for the international manufacturers to fill boat loads and flood  the US market

Now also, where would the reloaders be that buy only ONE can of powder and the powder supply chain dried up also ... Screwed double ... Self Inflicted 

This shortage makes me want to load 44 Special, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt Keith ammo, not weak cowboy play loads.

Archived