SASS Wire Forum

New New Vaqueros?

WOLFY

Did Ruger revert to the old vaquero scale with their current 44 mangler offerings or are these colt sized frame?  I thought they were only making .357 and .45 New Vaqueros now a days.

5C0E400D-C7D2-4BDF-9FBD-BCE429CD62B1.jpeg

I remember there being a dealer exclusive run of 44spl when ruger moved to the New Vaquero.   My 3 .44 mags are pre-New.  Kinda wish I had gotten a 4th.

From Ruger’s web site it looks like these are sheriff sizes, though.

Ruger website only shows 3 3/4" barrel lengths with either birdshead or plow handle grips.

It would be nice if they came out with 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel lengths. 

BS

9 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Did Ruger revert to the old vaquero scale with their current 44 mangler offerings or are these colt sized frame?  I thought they were only making .357 and .45 New Vaqueros now a days.

5C0E400D-C7D2-4BDF-9FBD-BCE429CD62B1.jpeg

These 44 Mag Vaquero are built on the large frame and have a 2 digit prefix. The one that came through my shop had a 59 prefix.

1 minute ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

These 44 Mag Vaquero are built on the large frame and have a 2 digit prefix. The one that came through my shop had a 59 prefix.

Thanks John,

hope yall are doing well, sir.

Supposedly they called this a New Vaquero because it has a Reverse Indexing Pawl, a feature introduced on the New Vaquero and its cousin the New Model Flattop Blackhawk.

I got one of these in 5 1/2 barrel length.  It is clearly a OMV frame with a SBH hammer.  It is a keeper especially in .44 magnum,  It will accompany me on horse pack trips next summer in bear country.   I had Gary Reeder tune it up with action job, bevel of the forcing cone and muzzle, add a Belt Mountain Base Pin, thus turning it into one tremendous shooter.

Vaquero .44 Magnum.JPG

I have a pair of pre-2005 Bisley Vaquero in 5.5", stainless and 44-mag.
These were a limited run over the product life, and I had to really dig to find them.
One came from a pawn shop in KS, the other from GA.

Pre-2005 are the large frame types, and designed for full house 44 mag loads.
I have a pair of the same in 357, and my wife has a pair of NM SASS in 357, which is definitely smaller.

9 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I got one of these in 5 1/2 barrel length.  It is clearly a OMV frame with a Bisley hammer.  It is a keeper especially in .44 magnum,  It will accompany me on horse pack trips next summer in bear country.   I had Gary Reeder tune it up with action job, bevel of the forcing cone and muzzle, add a Belt Mountain Base Pin, thus turning it into one tremendous shooter.

Vaquero .44 Magnum.JPG

That’s a Super Blackhawk hammer, not a Bisley hammer. 

Archived