SASS Wire Forum

Torn labrum

Trigger Mike

It seems that my son now has a torn Ladrum in his shoulder from playing football and the dr says he needs surgery.   A search on the internet says it does not heal on its own.  

Does anyone have experience with that type of injury?

For future reference NO MORE FOOTBALL!

I have experience with having cartilage repaired and then having it completely removed.

My advice is  follow the doctor's  orders and ESPECIALLY the Physical Therapist's  orders. Don't let the kid slack off on PT. That is the biggest mistake one can make when recuperating.

I had surgery on my labrum, supraspinatus and other things rotator cuff related in '15. Most ortho Docs will tell you the shoulder is the worst designed joint in our anatomy.

My advice is to follow Pat Riot's advice to the letter. Do the PT, as directed no shortcuts........ then do more PT

Football is one of the most dangerous sports in America.  There are thousands of kids every year who experience life-changing injuries playing football.  Despite having been a boxer and a football player myself, I don't let my kids do either (we know so much more about concussions now than we did back then, and I likely set myself up for a bout with Alzheimer's by spending six years in the boxing ring, and that is NOT how I want to go out).  

I would have your son get the surgery, and then follow the physical therapist's advice EXACTLY.  Take PT seriously!!!

Delaying the repair will only make the injury worse. And the muscles will react to it and change the muscle structure. As it's been said shoulder injuries and repairs are the worst of the joints. I had my right shoulder joint replaced 3 years ago. I still can't lift a 1/2 gallon of milk with that arm.

Get another opinion or two. Find the best surgeon you can. Get it done as quickly as possible. As the virus surge escalates, surgery will be more difficult to get scheduled. Youngsters heal a lot better than us. Good luck.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

He is now worried if the surgery or metal parts will keep him out of the army as he plans on joining when he gets old enough. 

Not having the surgery will keep him out, I can just about guarantee that.  Having the surgery might.  Not having it will.

The above advice is all sound and very accurate.
I do like your observation that there will be no future football.
My dear skinny little Mama laid down the law: no football for us.

Her explanation was that she watched a classmate spiked through the helmet, the last year football spikes were legal: it caused a penetrating head injury that caused the victim incurable grand mal seizures.

38 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

What's odd is he still wants to hang out with the team and I get the impression play again. 

I am so glad neither grandson had an interest. 

Grandson #1 was on the HS wrestling team & one day I picked him up after practice & he had been kicked in the head & was holding an ice pack to the side of his head.  I was going to the nearby Whole Foods & he said I bet they have Hagen Daas in there so went in with me, and every female in there was Oh, poor baby all over him (did I mention Grandson #1 is a looker?) & he decided that kick in the head was soooooooooooo worth it. 

But concussions & life-changing injuries at a young age are soooooooooooo NOT worth it.

at my 70s im just beginning to have joint issues - past motorcycle injuries , arthritis , all start to bear down in old age , i cannot imagine a young person having to endure these ailments so early in life - i lived 50 years before they caught up to me - i was bothered but not too much , gets worse every day but im old and ive accepted that at this point , 

i have70-80 year old friends that are just starting shoulder surgery , not a good time for it but did not need it before that , still do now what needs doing but dont do anything more than that , 

get him well , get him a good education , and get him a good job so he can live in a better place the rest of his life , 

Archived