SASS Wire Forum

If you were an actor

Alpo

And the script called for you to say something that you knew to be absolutely incorrect, would you say the line or would you object?

NCIS, Ziva says the dead Navy guy was killed with a 25 mm Tokarov. The correct gun is a 7.62x25 mm Tokarov. Gibbs says the murder weapon is a Smith & Wesson 32 kit. The actual gun was a Smith & Wesson 32 M&P. McGee says something about "grasping at straws" and Abby says it is grasping at "narrow polystyrene tubes", because she is a scientist and prides herself on being accurate. The straws in that saying has nothing to do with the hollow tubes you drink liquids through. It is dried grass stems.

The first two examples would detract nothing from the show. They would just make the characters seem like they knew what they were talking about, which should be a good thing. The third example just made Abby look like a moron.

It would depend on if I had enough clout to make the corrections and still keep my paycheck. As for straws, I wouldn’t go so far as to say moron, but clueless about etymology.

Abby = geek.

Well...

How many actors actually ARE morons, can't think for themselves, and wouldn't have a clue anyway?

;)

2 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Well...

How many actors actually ARE morons, can't think for themselves, and wouldn't have a clue anyway?

;)

Bingo...and I have a feeling all of those actors  are clueless  about guns. Straws? Who knows...

31 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Yes, I would object. Did I ever tell you about my first day at work at the state. People didn't forget.

Oh, do tell us, please. We need a laugh

Imis

It may not be funny; but, the story exemplifies my time at the State.

I was given a task. I said it couldn't be correct and please ask the recipient of the reports. They did and I was right. One of the leads in that unit who had moved to IT, as had I, brought it up about 15 years later.

As to the OP.  Would I object?  Probably not.  I'd let somebody know the line was incorrect and the correct information, then let them take it from there.  Maybe the character is supposed to sound like an idiot.  Either way, they're paying me, I'll say what they want.  Pretty much what I once said to a supervisor:  "I only listen to you because I get paid to.  I'll be as inefficient as you want me to be."  That guy was an idiot.  I said the same thing about him to his supervisor.

Angus

3 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

Abby = geek.

No. Nerd. There’s a difference. :D Or so I’m told.

If I was an actor I would probably have few scruples and wouldn’t care one way or the other. :rolleyes:

I would say something and hopefully educate them on the firearms for sure. On the straws,  whatever!!

36 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hee, hee. Back to my time at the State.

One of my new bosses, who was a dork told me, when he found out I was a shooter, that he shoots a 410 SG. I told him we only let children 13 and under shoot them. :lol: :rolleyes:

Great line!:lol:

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No. Nerd. There’s a difference. :D Or so I’m told.

In the interest of accuracy:

A Geek is the circus performer that bites the heads off of living chickens.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I would just SAY "He was killed with a 7.62 X 25mm Tokarev." 

If you say that out loud, it doesn’t roll off the tongue well, (at least it doesn’t for me) which has a lot to with how dialogue is written. 

13 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Well...

;)

based on how many are experts in politics id say ALL of them , and i doubt very many shows have anyone that really knows or cares to be accurate , as long as it sounds good and they dont bungle the line totally , its all about the dollars after all 

Archived