SASS Wire Forum

Shipping Cap and Ball vs Conversion Revolvers.

Brazos John

We all know that SAA's cannot be shipped directly to the buyer (a regular shooter).

However, black powder cap and ball pistols can be shipped directly to you.

What about an 1851 Conversion?

If the seller takes out the conversion cylinder, can he ship the cylinder and the pistol (separately) directly to you?

Restated, if you're buying a conversion, can it be shipped directly to you, if the cylinder is shipped separately?

Not taking shipping costs into consideration.

Just wondering….

That's an interesting question.

If I call up Cimarron and order a cap and ball revolver, they can ship it straight to my front door. It is not a gun. Then I can call Taylor's and order a conversion cylinder for this gun, and they can ship it straight to my front door, because it is gun parts.

But if instead of ordering a cap and ball revolver from Cimarron, I had ordered a conversion revolver, then whether the cylinder was in it or not it was a gun that was designed from the get-go to be a cartridge revolver and therefore it is still a gun, and would have to be shipped to an FFL.

That is my thoughts on the matter. What do y'all think?

7 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

We all know that SAA's cannot be shipped directly to the buyer (a regular shooter).

However, black powder cap and ball pistols can be shipped directly to you.

What about an 1851 Conversion?

If the seller takes out the conversion cylinder, can he ship the cylinder and the pistol (separately) directly to you?

Restated, if you're buying a conversion, can it be shipped directly to you, if the cylinder is shipped separately?

Not taking shipping costs into consideration.

Just wondering….

ONLY if it was sold new as C&B revolver. If it was sold new as a cartridge conversion then it has to go through an FFL.

If the conversion cylinder was bought separately then you can ship the gun with the C&B cylinder installed. Ship the conversion cylinder in a separate package. 

Be aware that some states do not differentiate between C&B guns and cartridge guns.

Of course down here it makes no difference, C&B and cartridge gun are treated the same. There are some minor differences in minimum barrel lengths, etc but all purchases and sales need to be done thru properly licenced businesses. 

I had ordered some spare C&B cylinders from VTI once and they warned me that they had a conversion cylinder seized and destroyed by Australian customs.

I would be willing to bet that was because the person who ordered it didn't have a HiCal permit (anything over 9mm/.38) and was going to convert a C&B 44 into a cartridge 45.

According to BATFE, Cap and Ball revolvers are not classified as "Firearms" and may be shipped direct.  They can also be mailed through the USPS.  Conversion revolvers ARE Firearms and require an FFL.  Converted Cap Guns can be shipped when separated from the cylinder.  When the suppository cylinder is included, it's a Firearm, FFL required.

I haven't had my "Book" for a while, but there was a time when cutting a cartridge channel in the Recoil Shield of a Cap Gun was "Manufacturing" a Firearm, legal to do for yourself, but was not transferable.  Yours forever.  Don't know if that is still the case.  Would not rely on WAG (Acronym for Wild Assed Guess) as the BATFE does NOT take prisoners.  NO sense of humor at all.

I would ship the C&B revolver intact. 
I would ship the cylinder separately as a “machined part”, if the contents of the package are questioned.

Archived