SASS Wire Forum

Artillery Officer

Subdeacon Joe

My father would sing. I remember the tune but don’t know the name.

”Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun!”

Dad was a lot of fun!

CJ

At least there was some protection for the observer.  Imagine being the first officer to go up in a tethered hydrogen-filled balloon to spot for artillery!  Not sure how smart he was, but he probably could have used one of those balloons up to the Greasy Grass!  Anybody know who I'm talking about? :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

At least there was some protection for the observer.  Imagine being the first officer to go up in a tethered hydrogen-filled balloon to spot for artillery!  Not sure how smart he was, but he probably could have used one of those balloons up to the Greasy Grass!  Anybody know who I'm talking about? :rolleyes:

Although he did a good job leading his Wolverine cavalry against Jeb Stuart at Gettysburg and elsewhere during the Civil War, 232 or so 7th Cav troopers would have been better served if Autie Custer had been shot off that balloon!  That's right! George Armstrong Custer was the first balloon observer!

13 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Although he did a good job leading his Wolverine cavalry against Jeb Stuart at Gettysburg and elsewhere during the Civil War, 232 or so 7th Cav troopers would have been better served if Autie Custer had been shot off that balloon!  That's right! George Armstrong Custer was the first balloon observer!

That figures, he was a bit of a dare devil. 

18 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Gin and tonic time?

Brilliant!

I'm in, old boy!

Pith1a.jpg

22 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Dad was a lot of fun!

CJ

I looked it up. I had an inspiration that it might be Gilbert & Sullivan . Dad was always singing from HMS Pinafore.  He was in Glee Club in college and they performed HMS Pinafore. 
On Wikipedia it is listed as Composer: Noël Coward, First performed: June 1, 1931.

CJ

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do your tunic up!

Wot the major don’t see won’t ‘urt ‘im, sez I. :lol:

Be kind to those 2nd Lts.

They are next months Capts and will have far greater power to screw things up.  Teach the little uns right and have a far better outcome.  

I know there are non-coms that are capable of such guidance. I was the recipient of such guidance.  MSGT Key told me he thought I had potential and if I would cooperate he would make a good officer out of me.  I did, he did.

Had a shortened but productive career.

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Ah, but whot the major don't see the colour sergeant does.

And speaking of NCOs, if you want to see the best Regimental Sgt. Major ever, watch The Guns At Batasi! 

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm not sure what he is trying to say here. He minces his words so finely.

Lt. Boniface is part of the mutinous army. The Brits are apparently an advisor unit and are stuck in between the current government and the army supporting the coup. There are several artillery pieces in the Brit’s possession and the coupsters want them. It’s a diplomatically fluid situation. And SGM Lauderdale is not exactly a diplomat.

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It’s a diplomatically fluid situation.

That being in translation, They are up a creek.

And SGM Lauderdale is not exactly a diplomat.

A finely nuanced, subtle, and delicate exposition if you ask me.  Almost poetical.  

On 11/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Dad was a lot of fun!

CJ

https://genius.com/Noel-coward-mad-dogs-and-englishmen-lyrics

LL

Archived