SASS Wire Forum

Sharps

James Henry Parker SASS#76661

Howdy JHP, depends on what you’re shooting.  Most sass long range side matches are out to about 300 yards so you will be fine.  If you’re shooting bpcr then you might be at a disadvantage at longer ranges. My sharps has a 32 inch barrel.

Enjoy your Sharps

Gringo

As above it really depends what you want to do with it.

I only shoot mine off sticks out to 600 and so I have a 34" barrel.

I only shoot nitro at the moment and it works for what I am doing.

If I was shooting in comps with a mix of sticks and off hand I reckon I might want to lose a few of those inches.

I have a Pedersoli sharps in 45-70.  It came with a 32 in barrel, I had it cut to 28 inches and have no problem hitting 500 yd. targets with it.  I also have a C. Sharps 1885 high wall in 40-65.  Several years ago I shot it at the Quigley match in Montana and hit the 865 yard  target 4 out of 8 shots.  You won't have a bit of trouble with your rifle, the shorter barrel will be nicer for hunting.

55 minutes ago, James Henry Parker SASS#76661 said:

The reason I’m asking is I can get one at a good price. I don’t thing I will shoot blackpowder in it . 

Then why do you want one?

What maker?

OLG 

"...The reason I’m asking is I can get one at a good price. I don’t thing I will shoot blackpowder in it . ..." 

if you found a deal you like go ahead , i doubt you will regret the buy no matter what you do with it , ill not encourage you to send your money , but when you find something you really like sometimes you just have to follow your heart , ive never regretted buying mine and ive still not figured out all of what i might want to do with it , 

I have five and various barrel lengths and shoot all off hand.  In my younger years I shot the 32 inch bull barrel in competition.  I am now in my 70s and prefer the shorter barrels.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, James Henry Parker SASS#76661 said:

I was thinking of shooting some side matches and hunting with it. 

Then it should be fine.
You could always rebarrel. If you got good enough deal, the cost of the rebarrel would be justified 

My C. Sharps .50-140 has a 34" barrel. It's a bit much at my age at offhand in BPCR. However, it is controllable after a great deal of practice. I had a short barrel C. Sharps .45=70. It was fine for SASS side matches.

I shoot a 28" Shiloh Business Rifle at the Matthew Quigley Long Range rifle shoot and I can hit the 805 yd. buffalo when I'm lucky, but the rifle has no problem reaching out that far. For most Cowboy long range I've shot a 27" barrel would be fine.

I ordered my Sharps in .40-90SBN, a "Long Range Express" rifle.  They were offered with a 34" barrel.  Frankly, the only thing the longer barrel does is give you more sight radius if you're using irons.  Even black powder is fully consumed by something around 30" of barrel.  Most smokeless powders are also tired of developing thrust by then also!  I got my Sharps with a 30" octagon... and it's a good thing, as it came in 1 full ounce under the weight limit for NRA BPCRS!

Archived