SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about going smaller on a smart phone. Anyone go smaller?

Pat Riot

I have an iPhone XS Max. It’s a pretty big phone and I like it very much except it’s big. It’s great when texting and looking at the Wire and such but carrying the dadgummed thing can be cumbersome if wearing jeans or shorts. I usually wear cargo pants and cargo shorts with “tech pockets” so that helps. But wearing a regular pair of Wranglers the phone feels like a brick in my pocket. 

Anyone else go to a smaller phone?

Are you happy you did or do you wish you wouldn’t have?

Honestly, I couldn’t care less if you only carry a flip phone and hate smart phones so that info can be kept to yourself, thank you. 

HELL! I’m still using an iPhone 5!! Fits in the pocket of my T-shirt!!

I got a Motorola Moto G Power this year and like it a lot. Large enough to see the screen easily, but still fits in a shirt pocket even with a cover on it.

Can your eyes and fingers handle a smaller phone?? If you can get threw that part, then get the one works best for you...And meets all the your needs...If the eyes and fingers don't work on smaller, then stay big and look for better way to carry it....

Texas Lizard

I really liked the iPhone Max.  Except it's size.  Way large.  I still carry and prefer my iPhone 8.  I may well upgrade past my iPhone 8 with an iPhone 12 Mini.  Same same reason, My 8 fits in the "phone" pocket of my Duluth Cargo pants.   The new iPhone 12 Mini would also fit in the phone pocket of my Duluth's.

1 hour ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I like the larger phones. I have a carrier that will clip to my pocket or belt

I was like that but I busted two carriers. And a replacement was too hard to get off my belt. So I have Samsung that fits in my back pocket.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have an iPhone XS Max. It’s a pretty big phone and I like it very much except it’s big. It’s great when texting and looking at the Wire and such but carrying the dadgummed thing can be cumbersome if wearing jeans or shorts. I usually wear cargo pants and cargo shorts with “tech pockets” so that helps. But wearing a regular pair of Wranglers the phone feels like a brick in my pocket. 

Anyone else go to a smaller phone?

Are you happy you did or do you wish you wouldn’t have?

Honestly, I couldn’t care less if you only carry a flip phone and hate smart phones so that info can be kept to yourself, thank you. 

I carry my 1960's rotary phone.  But then again, I have BIG POCKETS, but not necessarly deep pockets. 

9 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Can your eyes and fingers handle a smaller phone?? If you can get threw that part, then get the one works best for you...And meets all the your needs...If the eyes and fingers don't work on smaller, then stay big and look for better way to carry it....

Texas Lizard

Thank you all very much for your responses. :)

Well, I just did an experiment with my “company phone”. It’s an iPhone 7. It’s small like the 5, 5S & 6 but 1/2 taller than the 12 Mini. 
I do believe that I am rethinking this Mini phone idea. 
I compared my XS Max and iPhone 7 by looking at the same Google searches with text and photos. I compared them looking The Saloon, I looked at video on YouTube and it dawned on me that when I used to have my iPhone 5S I was using videos to learn how to disassemble a Rossi 92 and I just couldn’t see details easily and how I wished for a bigger phone...

Perhaps I may just hold off a bit. But I really want a better camera on my phone for low light photos. The new iPhone 12 phones have better cameras than my XS Max. Overall I am very happy with all the other features on the current phone. It’s just that sometimes carrying it is a hassle. 

Maybe the iPhone 12 might me a good compromise. 

12 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I carry my 1960's rotary phone.  But then again, I have BIG POCKETS, but not necessarly deep pockets. 

12 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You must have a really long cord!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh, Now, don’t get him  Braggin’ about that...:lol:

Yeah, but that cord is also for his oxygen tank and the shock collar!

If it won't fit in my shirt pocket, I'm not buying it.

The only things that hangs on my belt are keys (with the fob tucked between the belt and the waistband), my gun and a (single) spare mag pouch if I'm carrying a bottom feeder that day.  If I start carrying anything more, I'll end up with a Bat Belt before I realized what was going on.

And I STILL miss my flip phone!:P:P

36 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

If it won't fit in my shirt pocket, I'm not buying it.

The only things that hangs on my belt are keys (with the fob tucked between the belt and the waistband), my gun and a (single) spare mag pouch if I'm carrying a bottom feeder that day.  If I start carrying anything more, I'll end up with a Bat Belt before I realized what was going on.

And I STILL miss my flip phone!:P:P

I thought I missed my flip phone until I got another flip phone  a  few years ago. Then I found I missed my Smart Phone and the flip  phone  nostalgia must have been mental illness. :lol:

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don't hate smart phones. I just don't want to pay the monthly bill, for a smart phone. :ph34r:

Yep, it’s decided. Keeping the big phone. I had to send a text today on a moving train with my work phone, an iPhone 7. I think I erased and rewrote the thing 3 times and still didn’t get it right. Sent it anyway. 

A couple of months ago I had to replace my i-phone 4,  it was dying a slow death but when it started getting hot when in use I dumped it.  I got a i-phone SE, it is as large as I want.  I see some phones now that are larger than my first TV!

Blackfoot

8 minutes ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy s9+ -  I am thinking about taping it to a small red wagon so I can carry it about.  Too darn big.

STL Suomi

Believe me, I do understand. ;)

I find now that I have gotten so used to the bigger phone that the smaller phone is an annoyance. 
It’s really too bad that one cannot have 2 phones with the same number so when a smaller phone is needed it can be carried instead of the clay tablets phones have become. 

I've always used a soft phone case to carry my phone that clips to a pocket or belt. So never worry about fitting any phone in my pocket. I like small phones though but replacing my old samsung galaxy s5 which was plain worn out after 5 almost 6 years I couldn't find a smaller or even the same size phone that had replaceable batteries and added sd card memory. In fact the only new phone that had those features was the samsung galaxy xcover pro so unfortunately I went larger. Still it's a nice phone and works great once I got it set up. My first phone was a motorolla flip phone that had no internet, no touch screen, a green and black led screen and would run out of charge if left on for more than 5 hours so I'd carry it turned off and only turn it on to make calls. Hardly ever used it, but it looked cool as hell at the time. 

I went from a "brick" in a belt holster to a flip phone I could carry in my pocket or the watch pocket of my jeans.

Still using one; a "ruggedized" Samsung that's been soaked in water and survived a number of drops.

I just want to send and receive calls, when necessary. 

Howdy,

Motorola razor.  So cool. I used mine as long as I possibly could.

I want to congratulate you pards on this conversation about size 

without ever mentioning inches or any sort of measurements.

Life would be too easy if they just standardized on 3x5 like those little

cards that have been used forever.....

Best

CR

Text message. Try it   you LIKE it.

Push the button and talk. Proofread. Correct. Send.

I use an older iPhone SE which has about a 4" screen. I wanted something that was easy to carry on a pouch on my belt, as opposed to leaving it on a table everywhere or having it hang out of my butt pocket like so many teenagers do these days. Unfortunately it's very hard to read texts, and reading web pages is darn near impossible. Keep that in mind if you're as blind as a bat.

16 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Text message. Try it   you LIKE it.

Push the button and talk. Proofread. Correct. Send.

I don't text.

By the time I type out the message- with the corrections due to the overzealous auto correct and the lethal combination of a touch screen and big fingers on tiny keys- we could have had a phone conversation, dealt with the issue at hand and already forgotten about it.

I never used to text but everyone texted me...I guess "texted" is a word now...

Anyway, I really didn't get on with texting until I discovered I could send photos and web page links via text. After that I was on board with it, but I will only text a couple of lines. My family will hold  complete conversations with text. Once a text gets a little deep my response is "Call Me" and I stop texting. If they call, good. If not, no biggie, but I will not continue the text conversation.

Oh, I know how.  I even know how to text pictures or links, too.  Other than sending a couple of words or a pic or link, it is just a waste of time and a phone call would be faster and more efficient.

After all, it's still a phone, right?

Archived