Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Hey Frontiersmen!


Recommended Posts

I recently picked up a pair of 1851's, and have accumulated caps, balls, wads and have ordered a Polish Capper PCC. What is your favorite Powder Dispenser? I am hoping this is the last piece of the puzzle I need to come join in the fun.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this one from Track of the Wolf

 

Cylindrical Brass Powder Flask,5" length, 1-1/4" diameter accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

 

flask-ps_1.jpg

Holds enough powder for 5 stages. The removable spouts come in 5 grain increments. They are made of brass and can easily be cut down to create a custom charge. 

 

 

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 to the one SD pointed out.
I use Lee Dippers and powder in a tupperware container, but then 

I've used a powder inc. cylinder loader for about 20 years:

idk.png

 

Back in the days when I loaded on the gun, I found powder flasks like that one very useful.

But, I've used ones like this too -- They all work fine.

Use one that YOU think is cool!!

Powder Flask, Colt pattern for Army & Navy revolvers, accepts all spouts with 10-1mm threads

Powder Flask, Florentine style embossed Neptune pattern accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

Powder Flask, French fluted embossed copper, accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on what SD said.  Being one of the newer Frontiersman I bought these Vials  I load them up ahead of time and when I prime the cylinders I can take ten and know that each chamber has the same charge.  But you have to find what works for you and stick with it.  Here are a couple of other things that I use: a nipple pick to not only clean the nipple hole but also to get the spent cap off the nipple, bore butter, after cleaning I run a patch with it in each chamber and down the barrel.  Don’t forget anti-seize to put on the nipple threads. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I have used the vials too.
As Olympia Dukakis said in the film Steel Magnolias, "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

Frontiersmen get to have lots of little toys!!!

--Dawg  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use these anymore. .45 case shown for size. They hold 2 CC

 

image.jpeg.82d1774073cc0b7625878a55a11b22fc.jpeg

 

 

Authentic ? Yeah just about as much the truck I drive to the shoot  :D.

Convenient ? OH YEAH Just load 'em up the night before.  ;)

Edited by Yusta B.
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the one SD posted the link to. I usually load up a pair of ‘em and I’m good for the weekend!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

SD has it;)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

I use these anymore. .45 case shown for size. They hold 2 CC

 

image.jpeg.82d1774073cc0b7625878a55a11b22fc.jpeg

 

 

Authentic ? Yeah just about as much the truck I drive to the shoot  :D.

Convenient ? OH YEAH Just load 'em up the night before.  ;)

What Yusta said.   This is the route I went.  PM me phone # if you want a call.  Don’t ask Stanley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

I recently picked up a pair of 1851's, and have accumulated caps, balls, wads and have ordered a Polish Capper PCC. What is your favorite Powder Dispenser? I am hoping this is the last piece of the puzzle I need to come join in the fun.

Tennessee State next year? I'm in if you are...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Yep, I have used the vials too.
As Olympia Dukakis said in the film Steel Magnolias, "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

Frontiersmen get to have lots of little toys!!!

--Dawg  

Yep and you keep buying more and more of them....You begin to think you have rabbits...Still working on the best way to load for myself....

 

Texas Lizard

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

None but One of the Above.  I'm with Prairie Dawg.  I load on Dick Dastardly's Tower of Power cylinder loading stand so use a Tupperware container and scoops I make from fired cases and wire.  Quick and Easy.

 

PLUS ONE too Texas Lizard

 

PSS:  Be sure to have your '51s set up for CAS or you're going to be really frustrated really quick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this a few weeks ago...

Speedloaders for my 51s.

3/8 polytube cut to 2"

3/8 wooden stopper glued

23 grains of whatever FFFg

.451 round ball

 

20201031_162207.jpg

Edited by Tom Bullweed
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

+1 to the one SD pointed out.
I use Lee Dippers and powder in a tupperware container, but then 

I've used a powder inc. cylinder loader for about 20 years:

idk.png

 

Back in the days when I loaded on the gun, I found powder flasks like that one very useful.

But, I've used ones like this too -- They all work fine.

Use one that YOU think is cool!!

Powder Flask, Colt pattern for Army & Navy revolvers, accepts all spouts with 10-1mm threads

Powder Flask, Florentine style embossed Neptune pattern accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

Powder Flask, French fluted embossed copper, accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

--Dawg

I recently aquired a set of 51's already tuned with 5 sets of cylinders for each gun. It also came with the cylinder loader. I like the idea of the tupperware and dippers! I hadn't thought about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

 

I use Lee Dippers and powder in a tupperware container, but then 

I've used a powder inc. cylinder loader for about 20 years:

idk.png

 

 

 

+1  This 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Tennessee State next year? I'm in if you are...

This will be a big change for me being a two-hand gripper usually.  But Judge em all Duncan was my friend and mentor that got me started in BP. I am honored to have his guns and hope to do them justice. But I need to get my feet wet first lol.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I just use an original style colt flask for powder, a ted cash revolver capper, and I carry the balls in a leather pouch.  I load with the rammer on the gun.  I never saw the need to carry around more things than required. But, to each his own.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

This will be a big change for me being a two-hand gripper usually.  But Judge em all Duncan was my friend and mentor that got me started in BP. I am honored to have his guns and hope to do them justice. But I need to get my feet wet first lol.

 

That's why I'm throwing it out there now, we've got 10 months to prepare ;)

 I've only shot Frontiersman in two monthly matches, it's a lot of fun.

 

I'm thinking those may be the ones I sold him 2 years ago and he was sending them to Mike Brackett(Goons Gunworks); if so they're tuned and perfect for CAS.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

That's why I'm throwing it out there now, we've got 10 months to prepare ;)

 I've only shot Frontiersman in two monthly matches, it's a lot of fun.

 

I'm thinking those may be the ones I sold him 2 years ago and he was sending them to Mike Brackett(Goons Gunworks); if so they're tuned and perfect for CAS.

 

If they’re as good as the ones I got from Goon’s he’s gunna love’ em. The longest I’ve run them is 6 stages in one day, the guns ran fine, even the cylinders spun easily.  They felt like they could’ve run another 6 stages without even breaking a sweat.  BTW don’t count me out, I’m thinking Wartrace will be on my radar for next year.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

That's why I'm throwing it out there now, we've got 10 months to prepare ;)

 I've only shot Frontiersman in two monthly matches, it's a lot of fun.

 

I'm thinking those may be the ones I sold him 2 years ago and he was sending them to Mike Brackett(Goons Gunworks); if so they're tuned and perfect for CAS.

Let me get a match or two under my belt, and I might take you and tequila up on the challenge! I suspect they are goons guns. They have definitely been slicked up.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot 1860's so rather than pulling the barrels and cylinders to load I made this stand. 

Bottom drawer holds balls. Top drawer holds nipple wrench, extra tin of caps, spare capper, pill bottle of grease, ect.  Top is open to hold powder flask, small led light, and other things too big for the drawer. Copper tube holds a syringe of grease.

Used a Chinese Checker bit to make 6 depressions to hold balls before loading. Helps me keep count.

Used my dremil and a sanding disk to make the depression for the pistol butt. 

Glued a thin piece of black leather where the pistol sits to protect it. 

Everything is made of 2X6 oak except the drawers. Made them out of some nice wooden boxes I got from ACME bullets back before I started casting my own 45-70  bullets

Rope handle makes it easy to carry and lets me hang it from a hook on my gun cart when not in use. It is offset so that when carried, it leans back and keeps the drawers from sliding open.

 

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.bbddf89041ec476333ce6c10369e565d.JPG

 

Took the below pick with a 58 I had because it looked better than my 1860

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.ab67a85608efea215b2a824ca227ea59.JPG

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

SD flies First Class.

Fancy stand his is!

I frequently fly coach.
When I was loading on the gun years ago, I made this one out of scraps in my kindling pile.

Only took about 10 minutes & works very well. 

As I always say........everyone finds a way that works for them, & they are usually slightly different, but they all work!!!

Here are a coupla pics:

http://74.220.214.175/~dakotask/nick/stand3.jpg

 

http://74.220.214.175/~dakotask/nick/stand_1.jpg

 

--Dawg

 

 

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I shoot 1860's so rather than pulling the barrels and cylinders to load I made this stand. 

Bottom drawer holds balls. Top drawer holds nipple wrench, extra tin of caps, spare capper, pill bottle of grease, ect.  Top is open to hold powder flask, small led light, and other things too big for the drawer. Copper tube holds a syringe of grease.

Used a Chinese Checker bit to make 6 depressions to hold balls before loading. Helps me keep count.

Used my dremil and a sanding disk to make the depression for the pistol butt. 

Glued a thin piece of black leather where the pistol sits to protect it. 

Everything is made of 2X6 oak except the drawers. Made them out of some nice wooden boxes I got from ACME bullets back before I started casting my own 45-70  bullets

Rope handle makes it easy to carry and lets me hang it from a hook on my gun cart when not in use. It is offset so that when carried, it leans back and keeps the drawers from sliding open.

 

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.bbddf89041ec476333ce6c10369e565d.JPG

 

Took the below pick with a 58 I had because it looked better than my 1860

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.ab67a85608efea215b2a824ca227ea59.JPG

 

Now when are you going to make one for me????? :D

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot 1858's for 8 years for Frontiersman and Plainsman.  I went simple. Balls, wads, and caps carried in a leather bag along with 4 cappers and a pick. Cappers on a leather thing to be carried in pocket to the line. 4 cappers are good for 6 stages.

The brass cylinder powder flask with 20 gr spout. Goex 2f

Ted Nash straight capper, no need to cut the cylinder for the capper to fit the nipples.

Tresco Nipples.

Never used a loading stand, I didn't need yet another thing to carry around. Just hold the gun pour powder for 5, wads, then ball.

I use wonder wads soaked in 50/50 bees wax and crisco. Guns run as smooth at the end of six stages as when I started.

I use bore butter in the barrel and on the cylinder pin.

When I went to ROA's I continued with the same set-up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I love the wire! What great information, thanks everyone! Things I didn't know I needed, that I am ordering:

 

Nipple Pick

Anti Seize

Enough Vial's in case I need to shoot a 6th stage.

 

Nice setup Dave and Dawg.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

So who can commit to shooting Frontiersman at the 2021 TN state match?

 

Sounds like fun!

When & where is it?

I'll see if it fits in to the schedule!

--Dawg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if they have a date posted yet, but I assume they do. The Wartrace Regulators are located SE of Nashville TN. And the shoot is usually the second weekend in October. It is a fantastic range, and a great shoot!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Barkeep Casey said:

I don't know if they have a date posted yet, but I assume they do. The Wartrace Regulators are located SE of Nashville TN. And the shoot is usually the second weekend in October. It is a fantastic range, and a great shoot!

 

Well, it looks like that may work.

Have a standing commitment for the first & third weekends, but the 2nd weekend may work.

--Dawg  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

 

Sounds like fun!

When & where is it?

I'll see if it fits in to the schedule!

--Dawg

 

 

27 minutes ago, Barkeep Casey said:

I don't know if they have a date posted yet, but I assume they do. The Wartrace Regulators are located SE of Nashville TN. And the shoot is usually the second weekend in October. It is a fantastic range, and a great shoot!

 

I know that the have a “are you brave enough to wear pink” day for breast cancer awareness.  Dawg it’s a blast, great folks, great range, door prizes, and great food.  You won’t be disappointed!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

 

 

I know that the have a “are you brave enough to wear pink” day for breast cancer awareness.  Dawg it’s a blast, great folks, great range, door prizes, and great food.  You won’t be disappointed!

 

Here are a few pics from previous matches. We call Side Match Day "Are You Tough Enough To Wear Pink Day"

 

Randy

 

 

IMG_2391.thumb.JPG.3d0180a53a1d2cf5eaf8a8831c30fada.JPGIMG_2392.thumb.JPG.9ea40f009362c0f5dcd131667d5dfd6e.JPGIMG_3839.thumb.JPG.3dcc72afb1f087c99a8b8a2451059cdc.JPGB7ED4427-398E-4862-B525-D7EEFD4D0100.jpeg.baf3454d0ddf9d8f8bf554a150e0d8a7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5244032ce0bad8085f980b00c5113230.jpeg548705271_2020TennesseeStateChampionship.jpg.10b898e35bcd330415a312f9fc859c68.jpg1107480364_IMG_72151.thumb.JPG.bab9dd5c6147977a719b9f1899e26f25.JPG1866818070_SixgunSeamus2020StatePink.thumb.jpg.514c419adab4289b871a1c5f0f20ee69.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.