SASS Wire Forum

Hey Frontiersmen!

Barkeep Casey

I load 12 cylinders before our monthly matches.  The extra pair of cylinders is just in case they are needed.  I use the tower of power and it works great.  While changing cylinders between stages I always spray balistol on the arbors and into workings of the revolvers.  Just something I have found works for me.  Strange.....but true.....I have more clean matches shooting frontiersman than any other catagory.  Love those '51's.

4 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Here are a few pics from previous matches. We call Side Match Day "Are You Tough Enough To Wear Pink Day"

Randy

IMG_2391.thumb.JPG.3d0180a53a1d2cf5eaf8a8831c30fada.JPGIMG_2392.thumb.JPG.9ea40f009362c0f5dcd131667d5dfd6e.JPGIMG_3839.thumb.JPG.3dcc72afb1f087c99a8b8a2451059cdc.JPGB7ED4427-398E-4862-B525-D7EEFD4D0100.jpeg.baf3454d0ddf9d8f8bf554a150e0d8a7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5244032ce0bad8085f980b00c5113230.jpeg548705271_2020TennesseeStateChampionship.jpg.10b898e35bcd330415a312f9fc859c68.jpg1107480364_IMG_72151.thumb.JPG.bab9dd5c6147977a719b9f1899e26f25.JPG1866818070_SixgunSeamus2020StatePink.thumb.jpg.514c419adab4289b871a1c5f0f20ee69.jpg

You seem to go back to them bottles of Jack....Hand them out after each stage or end of the day???

Texas Lizard

1 minute ago, Texas Lizard said:

You seem to go back to them bottles of Jack....Hand them out after each stage or end of the day???

Texas Lizard

They are Door Prizes at the Friday Night Dinner and Side Match Awards on the range.

Randy

Barkeep,

Ted Cash "Snail Capper"... holds a little over a full tin of Remington #10s. 

Any stand that'll let you load on the gun... no need to have a hundred cylinders...

Are the guns Piettas, or Ubertis?   Pietta = .380 ball, Ubertis - .375

A nipple pick, either in combination with or separate from a nipple wrench.  

Watched this video and I thought I would make a great shotgun for Plainsman or Frontier.   While there is not much chance of finding one in shooting condition at a price you could afford,   it made me think of the 1869 50-70 carbine I have in the safe. Make up some shot loads.  Our targets are reaction so a hit is a hit. 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:04 PM, Griff said:

Barkeep,

Ted Cash "Snail Capper"... holds a little over a full tin of Remington #10s. 

Any stand that'll let you load on the gun... no need to have a hundred cylinders...

Are the guns Piettas, or Ubertis?   Pietta = .380 ball, Ubertis - .375

A nipple pick, either in combination with or separate from a nipple wrench.  

Griff,

They are 1851's but the .44 cal instead of .36. and are the short barrel models. Judge had someone do marvelous work to them, reprofiled hammers, action job, the little post to keep the caps from clogging the action up etc. The guns came with the five sets of cylinders and the tower of power. While I have shot BP for years, this is my first foray into cap and ball. But I like a good challenge.

Thanks for the tips, I know you have your's sorted and shooting well!

5 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Griff,

They are 1851's but the .44 cal instead of .36. and are the short barrel models. Judge had someone do marvelous work to them, reprofiled hammers, action job, the little post to keep the caps from clogging the action up etc. The guns came with the five sets of cylinders and the tower of power. While I have shot BP for years, this is my first foray into cap and ball. But I like a good challenge.

Thanks for the tips, I know you have your's sorted and shooting well!

Hopefully we'll see you @ GAC 2021 in Frontiersman Gunfighter!  I'll even loan you a Henry so you can can an era-appropriate rifle and join the rest of us Henry Shooters!  (Yes, an 1860... not that new-fangled tomato stake)!!! :P

Are paper cartridges allowed in Frontiersman?  I didn't notice anything about them in the SHB.  Seems like they would be quicker reloads.

Yes!
But they do take time to make!
Try them!
If they work out -- GREAT

If not, no biggie!

--Dawg

Barkeep Casey, those have coil torsion springs in them and a coil and pushrod for the hand. They May or may not have an action shield ( covers the action when the hammer is at full cock). A bolt block and an action stop is also the norm (they'll take whatever you can dish out!! Lol)  The action should also be packed with Mobil 1 grease. The Judge would come sit with me in the shop sometimes .  .  .  always a good time!!

Mike

16 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Yes!
But they do take time to make!
Try them!
If they work out -- GREAT

If not, no biggie!

--Dawg

I've made a few and they worked great just screwing around.  I haven shot them in a match yet.

10 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Barkeep Casey, those have coil torsion springs in them and a coil and pushrod for the hand. They May or may not have an action shield ( covers the action when the hammer is at full cock). A bolt block and an action stop is also the norm (they'll take whatever you can dish out!! Lol)  The action should also be packed with Mobil 1 grease. The Judge would come sit with me in the shop sometimes .  .  .  always a good time!!

Mike

Mike,

That does not surprise me at all. I could tell right away they were something special. You do great work! I have Mobil 1 Grease so no problem keeping them lubed.

My Polish Capper arrived last night, I am real close to getting these babies singing!

Thanks,

Barkeep

On 11/19/2020 at 10:30 PM, Diamond Jake said:

Does anyone use paper cartridges?  I've used them for fun with my 1851 before joining SASS and had no issues. 

I got my 1860 Army late last year from an ill friend who is liquidating his collection, I haven't shot it with anything except my homemade paper cartridges so far, and it's been fun.  have more work to do on the gun before it's match ready, but I don't see much reason to load it any other way.

Archived