SASS Wire Forum

Question for the gunsmiths out there

Black Angus McPherson

I've got an old Springfield Trapdoor in .45-70 I like to put a few rounds thru every once in a while.  The problem is it has a bad tendency to puncture primers.   When I first got it I traced the problem to a burr on the point of the firing pin.  I stoned it off and the problem disappeared.  Unfortunately the problem has reoccurred.  Another burr on the firing pin has appeared.  My guess is there is a rough spot inside the bolt/trapdoor near the firing pin hole that is rubbing against the firing pin.

The question is:  How to I get my dremel that far down into the firing pin channel to polish out that rough spot?  :D  No, seriously tho, how do I get something down there to get rid of that inside burr?

It's a fun rifle to shoot, and accurate, even if the sights are way-hella-high.  I can hit the silhouette at 200 yards pretty regularly with the sights bottomed out.  It'll go over the top of targets at 100.  But, that's another problem.  Can't/won't shoot it at all if the primers keep getting pierced and hot gas flows back along the firing pin with every shot.  

Suggestions?

Angus

The sites on the TD's were for 250 yds at the lowest setting. As a military weapon they would seriously kill or wound if held at dead center of an enemy anywhere between 0-300 yds.  The latch plate for a common household lock makes a perfect replacement for the front site, it is the proper thickness and can be cut to the proper height to zero at 100 yds.

kR

Try lightening the main spring.  Too heavy and it tends to "bend" the nose and burr it/\\Good luck..

Ol'  #4

Archived