SASS Wire Forum

Help me Fix This, Please

I carry a Para Slim Hawg - basically a single stack 1911 with a 3" barrel.  No prior problems with the gun.

Dropped the magazine yesterday, and then racked the slide to clear it.  No go.  Round is still in the chamber; guide rod is sticking out about 1/4", slide is about the same distance short of full forward travel.  Hammer is back.  If I ease the slide back a bit, I can see the end of the round.  Multiple attempts to re-rack - no ejection.

How do I clear this without shooting my foot?

LL

My first thought is to pull slide back till the take down notch lines up, then pull out the slide stop.   Slide off,  you can do whatever you need.    GW

Lock it open, drop a pencil down the barrel eraser first and tap the end of the pencil against a wall or table lightly.  It sounds like a bad round that has stuck in the chamber short of battery.

You are going to be doing this with a loaded gun, so keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times and use as little force as possible to dislodge the cartridge.

While you could tear the gun down and remove it from the bare barrel, I do not like to take down a loaded gun-its bad ju ju

Just a suggestion. Place a dowel or pencil in the loading well, this will prevent the firing pin contacting the primer IF this go badly.  I used to have a block that I could drop in when I used to shoot bullseye matches for those times extractor jumped the rim or round stuck in chamber.

J. Mark is correct!  You will probably find a dent in the case when you get it out.

Be sure to lock the slide back!!!  Pull a corner of a towel or washcloth through the slide into the top of the mag well. 

Archived