SASS Wire Forum

650 primer feed issues

Grizzly Dave

I recently switched my press back to small primers.

Since then, I got a 'no primer' ready to seat situation now and then, and it's been getting worse.  I'm not a speed demon on the press or range, so I was able to feel that no primer was being seated, so I rotated one in to position to seat.

As it was getting worse, I cleared the press and carefully watched what was going on, to isolate where the problem was.

What I found was that the lever with the little nub on it wasn't always returning and dropping in to the primer hole on the wheel.  And as such, next press cycle, the wheel would not turn.

As it just started when I switched over, I suspect that perhaps I goofed something up after putting the small primer wheel in, but don't have a clue what that might have been.

Thoughts?

2020-11-18.jpg

2020-11-18.jpg

After a bit of research I'm suspecting indexing arm and spring need to be replaced and put in an online request with Dillon.

As long as I'm here, what do you use to lube the primer wheel and shaft in the priming system?

Thanks

Grizz

I’ve had the same issue on my 650. Took it apart, back together about 4 times. Changed the spring and good to go. 

I don’t like the priming system on the 650. My 750 shipped today. I’ll get it set up and will have a 650 for sale soon! 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve had the same issue on my 650. Took it apart, back together about 4 times. Changed the spring and good to go. 

I don’t like the priming system on the 650. My 750 shipped today. I’ll get it set up and will have a 650 for sale soon! 

Congrats on the 750.  I'd love to get one but would keep the 650 as well so I could have a dedicated small primer press, and one for large primers.

I load rifle calibers on a 550. It works well. I’m going to keep it and sell the 650

Dave the black piece of plastic that moves the little primer arm is the problem most of the time. Could be wore down just a little. You can unscrew it and put a little shim behind it and see if that works. If it does just call Dillon and ask for a new one

Dave you got good advice, the springs both the flat washer spring and the coil spring.  If the coil spring is kinked replace it.  Sometimes wear on the primer disk will cause problems.  I have used several types of dry lube but have found that it really doesn't help much if at all.  Of course wet lube just helps collect the trash and under some conditions could contaminate the primer so I run mine dry.

47 minutes ago, Lodan B. Fast said:

Dave the black piece of plastic that moves the little primer arm is the problem most of the time. Could be wore down just a little. You can unscrew it and put a little shim behind it and see if that works. If it does just call Dillon and ask for a new one

I checked that and it's cocking the indexer arm like it should, problem is that the arm is not always going back as far as it should when the platter is down.

7 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I checked that and it's cocking the indexer arm like it should, problem is that the arm is not always going back as far as it should when the platter is down.

As far as the lube goes Dillon recommends grease on everything but the piston arms (they get motor oil).  For the indexing here’s what I’d check, first that you didn’t over-tighten any screws, then if i didn’t find over-tightened screws I’d also replace the springs and indexer, don’t forget to adjust the shell holder and check to make sure you have the correct clearance. If all that didn’t work I’d call Dillon and see what they think it might be.  Good Luck

2 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

After a bit of research I'm suspecting indexing arm and spring need to be replaced and put in an online request with Dillon.

As long as I'm here, what do you use to lube the primer wheel and shaft in the priming system?

Thanks

Grizz

As others have said, mine did the same thing and a new spring and arm fixed it.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Just checking, does it have to be done 4 times before it works? 

:D:D:D

I had this happen once, and it wasn't the spring and arm.

The screws that fastened the assembly to the press we're too tight and was binding up the assembly. Backed them off and tighten them to just finger tight and everything worked fine after that.  

Tequila Shooter mentioned that, and I just wanted to bring that to your attention as well.

12 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I had this happen once, and it wasn't the spring and arm.

The screws that fastened the assembly to the press we're too tight and was binding up the assembly. Backed them off and tighten them to just finger tight and everything worked fine after that.  

Tequila Shooter mentioned that, and I just wanted to bring that to your attention as well.

I'll give that a try.  But even off the press moving the arm by hand it doesn't always spring back far enough.  I figure I'll take it all apart and clean good and see what that tells me.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I load rifle calibers on a 550. It works well. I’m going to keep it and sell the 650

plz let me know when ....

yusta

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Just checking, does it have to be done 4 times before it works? 

:D:D:D

Biggest problem is I usually find an extra piece or 2 after I put it together :(

2 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

plz let me know when ....

yusta

Will do 

you gonna be at the Fort this weekend? 

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Will do 

you gonna be at the Fort this weekend? 

Yeah buddy !!!

Had exact issue with mine a couple months ago. Replaced the coil "return" spring fixed it. Your pictures look exactly like mine before replacing. The spring looks kinked.

17 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Congrats on the 750.  I'd love to get one but would keep the 650 as well so I could have a dedicated small primer press, and one for large primers.

One thing I did was purchased a second primer assembly. I keep one for LP and one for SP. The change form Large to Small ends up being an easier swap that way.

Nah.  None the above.  Way too complicated.  I have a complete 650 set up for Large Primers and a second complete 650 set up for Small Primers.  Keeps it really really simple simple.

35 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nah.  None the above.  Way too complicated.  I have a complete 650 set up for Large Primers and a second complete 650 set up for Small Primers.  Keeps it really really simple simple.

I kinda do the same thing except my SPP machine is a Square Deal.  I only load 9mm with it when i can shoot USPSA.

@Grizzly Dave any update on your primer issue?

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I kinda do the same thing except my SPP machine is a Square Deal.  I only load 9mm with it when i can shoot USPSA.

I just went out and took it apart.  The return spring is kinked, but given where it goes that isn't surprising.  I cleaned it all up with Rem oil, it needed it, and put it back together and back on the press.  So far it has cycled as it should, guess I'll load some primers and load some more 38s and see how it does.

Contact Dillon they will probably send you the whole Primer System Assembly works to yah Grizz

Large #20982 & small is #21065

Jackrabbit Joe

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hand priming has worked for me since 1960's ....  ;)

On 11/19/2020 at 9:42 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

Was finally able to get back out to the shop.  After I cleaned the priming system, I re-oriented the kinked spring to where I thought it would work better.  Just now, I ran 300 rounds or so with no primer feed issues.  I ran maybe 20 or 30 then checked primers in the output bin, then dumped into another bin.  Rinse and repeat for all 300, no issues.

Well, other than failing to notice that the pin wasn't in the end of a primer tube when I shoved the follower in spewing 20 or so primers all over the place....

edit - just got an email from the nice folks at Dillon that parts are on the way.

20 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Was finally able to get back out to the shop.  After I cleaned the priming system, I re-oriented the kinked spring to where I thought it would work better.  Just now, I ran 300 rounds or so with no primer feed issues.  I ran maybe 20 or 30 then checked primers in the output bin, then dumped into another bin.  Rinse and repeat for all 300, no issues.

Well, other than failing to notice that the pin wasn't in the end of a primer tube when I shoved the follower in spewing 20 or so primers all over the place....

edit - just got an email from the nice folks at Dillon that parts are on the way.

Glad you got everything back up and working.  Any primers that spew out that you want to get rid of just let me know :ph34r: ;) :D

Archived