SASS Wire Forum

Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black Sulfurless Powder

While I normally shoot real black powder occasionally I use a sub, like Black MZ now discontinued.  I just became aware of a "new" bp sub from Shooters World called "Multi-Purpose Black  Sulfurless Powder".   It is available from Grafs and Midsouth and is described as being made by APP.  Has anyone tried it?  Is it the same as the old APP?  Cost is about $22 lb.

I bought some from Scarlet at Land Run and just loaded some. My impression is that it is very much like APP. I always thought that the Black MZ was a bit hotter than APP, so I had dropped my loads back a bit when BMZ came out. I found that this new Shooters World was a little anemic at BMZ levels, so I bumped everything back to APP levels and everything was great. I am using 10 grains by weight in my .38 and 35 grains by weight in 7/8 oz 12 ga shells. I'm totally happy with it other than it costs double what BMZ did at Sportsman's Warehouse.

The Sub from Shooters World is, for all practical purposes, Black MZ in a different granulation and re-packaged for Shooters World.  If you read all the fine print, it has the same patent data as APP.

I’ve been using APP but yesterday I tried the Shooters World that i won at Ambush at Cavern Cove.  I was hand dipping into SG shells and the only thing that i thought was that the granuals seemed a little smaller but more uniform.

The Sub from Shooters World is, for all practical purposes, Black MZ in a different granulation and re-packaged for Shooters World.  If you read all the fine print, it has the same patent data as APP.

Coffinmaker is dead nuts on the mark about this powder.  I have a gas chromatic analysis of the powder and the text reads accordingly:

There are chlorates and perchlorates in it, this is a Gas Chromatograph study of it (apparetnly BlackMZ is re-labelled American Pioneer)

image.png.c146f1dda8b73781bcaef40da48202ee.png

On 11/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The bottle I bought from Scarlett directs one to Shooterworldpowders.com for load data.  This is what I found:

image.png.80abda61c2f93b03ea68b33232060e32.png

Forty-four Evans ?1?  :-)

Strange that APP would publish load data for an Evans cartridge and not a 38 Special.  Apparently an Evans rifle would hold 34 short rounds.  Would be fun to shoot a handgun/rifle/shotgun stage with a single firearm.

The Evans Rifle

Shooting the Evans

IIRC, the .44 Evans will hold 28 rounds of .44 Evans Long cartridges.  Some measurements I took of a single cartridge, seemed to match .44 Henry, except the Evans round is central fire (sic). Not sure what you can use to make the .44 Evans Long.  I've seen folks list the .41 magnum and also .303 Savage (and try to find the latter :rolleyes:).

The biggest problem using an Evans for SASS matches is loading the proper number of rounds that are less than magazine capacity.  You have to load one round in the butt trap, cycle the action and load another, etc.  If you are only loading, say, 10 rds, the action has to be cycled until a live round appears in the receiver, BEFORE it chambers when the lever is closed.  That would mean cycling the action 17 times after loading the 10 rds to close the action on an empty chamber. :unsure: :wacko:

On 11/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The bottle I bought from Scarlett directs one to Shooterworldpowders.com for load data.  This is what I found:

image.png.80abda61c2f93b03ea68b33232060e32.png

Who shots a .44 Evans?

On 11/18/2020 at 1:34 PM, Kid Rich said:

Says on the container that it is the equal to MZ which is the same as APP 3f.

kR

The bottle SAYS 3F... however, in REAL LIFE it’s more like a 2.5F - coarser and a little more “POP”.... if that’s what you’re after! :P

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived