SASS Wire Forum

Tumblers

Dirty Dan Dawkins

If you don't use pins then how do the insides and primer pockets get clean?

8 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

If you don't use pins then how do the insides and primer pockets get clean?

The insides get pretty clean and I don’t decap before I tumble so don’t really care about clean primer pockets. When they start breaking down loaded cases to do primer pocket and inside of case inspections for cleanliness maybe I’ll start. I got a Lee APP press and deprimed about 1,000 cases awhile back and decided that for the reloading that I do it was completely unnecessary. YMMV.

I don't remove the pins every time but I have found after many loadings the primer pockets can start to get grunged up a bit and make primer insertion more difficult. The LEE APP makes removing pretty easy. The shinier insides also make it easier to see if I have powder in there, just another convenience for minimal work. I use a brass tumbler to separate the pins, pretty easy method, don't need any magnet.

I find annealing the cases every 8 loadings or so to be much more time consuming, but still worth the effort. Everyone has different labor levels.

Okay, we are moving and as I am tearing down the reloading stuff I am looking at my ancient [it was old when I got it 15 years ago] vibrating tumbler and thinking about this thread. I was looking at the Frankford Arsenal Light wet tumbler for the new reloading space. You guys that own one, how has it held up and would you buy it again?

Archived