SASS Wire Forum

Smarter than I look ... I HOPE!!! (Update!)

Our recent windstorm ripped the ridge vent loose on our hacienda.

I should have figured SOMETHING would happen ... we just paid off the mortgage (insert broad and toothy grin here!)

I've done roof work but I've never worked on a ridge vent: flashlight inspection last night shows me at least two shingles are torn loose -- one's in the driveway, or was, until I picked it up when I took trash out last night -- and the other is standing up like a hand raised in greeting.

I have not an extension ladder sufficient to get my aging and portly carcass that far off the ground (ladders can be obtained, yes, but I've nowhere to store one of that length!) and it's been since I was (oh God was I ever that young?) since I've done roof work ...

Upon consultation with the Younger, Smarter and Better Looking half of this married union, I'll call the builder and ask him who put on the original roof, and have them tend the repair.

I hope I am smarter than I look.

I mentioned the laptop, and no it was not a casualty of the windstorm (mental image of a silver rectangle spinning through the cloud-darkened storm, surrounded by shingles and other wind-borne debris ... I think in cartoons ...)

After the lengthy sessions writing multiple books, entries, letters and the correspondence I tend on a daily basis, I honestly wore out the laptop's keyboard: it went in for repair, as replacing it myself would involve dismounting the two halves of the Asus and separating them, and that's an area where I have no experience at all. The smaller Asus is a 30 second repair -- the keyboard pries out from the top, swing it out, unplug the old one, set in the new one, plug it in and snap it down, done ... but to separate it into two halves ... ummm, no, kind of like the roof ... I'll let someone who knows what they're doing, tend that detail!

I hope this means I am smarter than I look!

I prize being independent and capable, I want to believe I'm perfectly able to clamber up a ladder with tools and new shingles and make a fine, tight and workmanlike job of it ... but in fairness I am a bit long in the tooth for such adventures ... best give an honest workin' man some business instead!

You made a good choice, my friend. 

I have been contemplating a similar situation.  The vaulted ceiling in our great room is 18 feet off the floor at it's highest point.  The adjoining wall is therefore 18 feet high as well.  We are scheduled to receive some new furniture after the first of the year, so now is a good time to paint said wall.  Many times I have stood at the base of the wall looking up and contemplating, can I really do this?  My younger self says "sure you can".  My real self says "you better not".  I have a couple of weeks to make the decision before I start running out of time.

Without mentioning specifics, there have been a few times in the past couple of years I've found myself in a precarious situation of my own making and asked myself, "How stupid am I?," once the answer was seemingly clear.

I've also found that those who do the job for a living tend to do it much faster than I can, and are well worth the cost in many situations.

5 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I should have figured SOMETHING would happen ... we just paid off the mortgage (insert broad and toothy grin here!)

I've done roof work but I've never worked on a ridge vent: flashlight inspection last night shows me at least two shingles are torn loose -- one's in the driveway, or was, until I picked it up when I took trash out last night -- and the other is standing up like a hand raised in greeting.

I have not an extension ladder sufficient to get my aging and portly carcass that far off the ground (ladders can be obtained, yes, but I've nowhere to store one of that length!) and it's been since I was (oh God was I ever that young?) since I've done roof work ...

Upon consultation with the Younger, Smarter and Better Looking half of this married union, I'll call the builder and ask him who put on the original roof, and have them tend the repair.

I mentioned the laptop, and no it was not a casualty of the windstorm (mental image of a silver rectangle spinning through the cloud-darkened storm, surrounded by shingles and other wind-borne debris ... I think in cartoons ...)

After the lengthy sessions writing multiple books, entries, letters and the correspondence I tend on a daily basis, I honestly wore out the laptop's keyboard: it went in for repair, as replacing it myself would involve dismounting the two halves of the Asus and separating them, and that's an area where I have no experience at all. The smaller Asus is a 30 second repair -- the keyboard pries out from the top, swing it out, unplug the old one, set in the new one, plug it in and snap it down, done ... but to separate it into two halves ... ummm, no, kind of like the roof ... I'll let someone who knows what they're doing, tend that detail!

I prize being independent and capable, I want to believe I'm perfectly able to clamber up a ladder with tools and new shingles and make a fine, tight and workmanlike job of it ... but in fairness I am a bit long in the tooth for such adventures ... best give an honest workin' man some business instead!

Independent, maybe.  Capable, could be.The rest?  Go for it if you want to.  Don't let anything like lack of experience, good sense, or doubt stop you.

I am in your will, right?

3 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I fell off a ladder years ago, dusted myself off and went right back up.  If that happened today I wouldn't be getting up.  ...

Yep same here.  I haven't changed so I've concluded the ground is getting harder!

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sometimes the risks outweigh the pride. :)

Good move! ;)

Very true...Son n law is a trauma bone doc....Gets a lot of pride work during this time of the year...Just one more inch to hang that light...Summer months, biker season...Good work there too...

Texas Lizard

6 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Sometimes, age brings wisdom at the cost of pride. Good call, Lynn.

Can do, Wallaby!

EDIT TO ADD: Just posted in Short Stories.

One of those moments I wrote, I read, I laughed, I remembered ...

Good move, Mr. Linn! As we get older, the things we used to do as a matter of course move to out of the question. I still do a few things, occasional oil changes, air filters,etc., But  heavy motor heading stuff is a thing of the past. Was helping get a new home ready for occupancy today. Vacuum rugs, mop floors, clean windows and sills. We were short one light globe and the screws to hold it on as well as one smoke alarm that  contact interrupter was still in. Tried to get it with a step stool, was a little shaky on that thing. Decided to get the short step ladder out of the car that I had in there from replacing a post lamp cap that disappeared during the wind storm you alluded to. Worked much better for my old crappy pins! Had to go back to our storage area/barn to get a globe as we had some spares from change outs. Had four, but only one with screws. Salvaging that stuff comes in handy at times. The lamp cap I replaced it with was a salvage cap from a damaged/ not functioning lamp as well.:lol::rolleyes::blush:

11 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Can do, Wallaby!

EDIT TO ADD: Just posted in Short Stories.

One of those moments I wrote, I read, I laughed, I remembered ...

THANK YOU

.......... I heard/ felt the concussion of every shot ...... and the other stuff too  ;)

.......................... the knife was a nice touch ...  :wub:

Before attempting any project of that type, I now refer to "As Good As I Once Was" lyrics, by Toby Keith. And then, I make my decision from there.

As our daughter , a nurse, is fond of saying "Pops, you're at the age where you need to stretch before brushing your teeth" :wacko:

Dawg, I do too! Dang meds make any scratch/cut look 6 times worse than it actually is. I was back on that stupid step stool this morning as the boss had me checking a set of lights over a kitchen counter that my associate couldn't seem to get bulbs to fit in them. Strange, I thought. Got two different size bulbs we had on hand in case it was a different base size. Wasn't, once I got back in there and looked at the sockets in them. Boss asked if I had some decorative type to put in them. Sure did, 40 watt globes that we use for some of the vanity fixtures in the single wides. Got up on the step stool, balanced myself on the fixtures and screwed them right in, no problemo. Guess my associate just wasn't holding his mouth right yesterday.:rolleyes::lol::blush:

12 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

THANK YOU

.......... I heard/ felt the concussion of every shot ...... and the other stuff too  ;)

.......................... the knife was a nice touch ...  :wub:

............ and now it gets better; ... yes, the homework can wait ..... reloading IS important.

:wub::wub:

Well, i'm in good company at least. The old framework has taken a lot of damage in 26 years in Corrections and now we are moving 300 miles. The packing, sorting, tossing and loading is pounding both the Missus and me. Thankfully, I taught the HS Sunday School class at church for years and now the boys I taught are men coming to help me! Feels weird, as 20 years ago, I was the one called on to help...

I don’t do any roof work at all , in fact I never did even when I was a younger man. Certain things I leave to professionals! Always did! 
Good decision Linn. Hope it all works out.

Last roofing I did was the carport here. Roll roofing, imagine the sight of two close to 70 year olds climbing up ladders, walking on a carport roof and hoisting big rolls of roofing material up onto it.Before that, I did the garage roof at the house we used to live in during the 80's. It wasn't fun then, either:rolleyes::blink::blush:

Roof is fixed.

Laptop is ready for pickup.

Wife is on her way home, she spent a long weekend with her father: yesterday would have been her mother's birthday.

It rained before the roof repair could be done, but no sign of any leak, yippee!

Cool!!!!Going back to the cause of all this, we had several homes lose their skirting several lose parts of their carports, one lost some of it's metal roof replacement, and my associate's Dad who lives in the park here, lost his awning over his back porch area.Curled it up over the home's roof, then blew it across the street landing in the next street over.:blink::o:blush:

Archived