SASS Wire Forum

rare healy for sale....

Chili Ron

Howdy,

The word rare is thrown around so much it hardly means anything any more.

But yesterday I saw a blue 55 austin healy in amazing condition. 

Not one dent in the big chrome bumpers. Not one spot of rust showing.

Seats and interior looked maybe three or four years old.

If I was a billionaire I would have just gone in and bought the thing.

But Im not so I wont.

But I thought someone might want one. The price is 39,500 asking.

Repairs look like a parts list for the car.

Fun to think about buying tho....

Best

CR

Those old cars are fun to think about, and look better than the cars today in my opinion.

But they are running on obsolete technology.  If Dodge had had the 5.7 Hemi that is in my pickup to put in a Coronet in 1969 the market for Chevy 396 Impalas would have dried up fast. 

Also, handling and creature comforts are much better in today's cars.  I miss my '57 Fairlane 500, but not enough to pay collector price for another one.

Duffield

42 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Those old cars are fun to think about, and look better than the cars today in my opinion.

But they are running on obsolete technology.  If Dodge had had the 5.7 Hemi that is in my pickup to put in a Coronet in 1969 the market for Chevy 396 Impalas would have dried up fast. 

Also, handling and creature comforts are much better in today's cars.  I miss my '57 Fairlane 500, but not enough to pay collector price for another one.

Duffield

I agree with pretty much every statement you make, factually. But, emotionally is a different story. Having driven some of the newer cars recently, the technology and the "creature comforts" actually get in the way of the enjoyment of driving for me. The flashing lights, the infotainment system the size of the TV I had in college, the nannies that keep me from driving the vehicle, all detract from just getting in and driving.

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon R/T that is well beat up from teenagers learning to drive it. Not an "old" car by most people's definition, and the base Neon is still the butt of jokes. Despite the fact that it would cost more than the vehicle would be worth once completed, if money comes available next year, I'm planning on getting the body back into shape and getting it painted professionally. With a decently powered 4 cylinder, five speed, rack and pinion steering, stabilizer bars and four wheel disks, it is still plain fun to drive. There are still upgrades in power, clutch, suspension, braking, etc... to be had as well. Mrs. Doc's 2017 WRX is faster, and arguably handles somewhat better. But for just driving, ends up lacking the connection that I get from the Neon.

Neil Peart wrote it best in Red Barchetta

Wind

In my hair

Shifting and drifting

Mechanical music

Adrenaline surge

Well weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scent of country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware.

"Every nerve" is seldom aware of the driving experience for me in a new car, except for being aware of the gizmos. If I had a lottery winning ticket, I have zero doubt I would put money down on one of these:

https://www.shelby.com/en-us/Vehicles/Shelby-CSX7000-FIA-289-Cobra 

For those with the time, money and interest, the older vehicles still hold a place. I hope someone gets the Healey and smiles ear to ear every time they start it up.

Emotions are a strong part of our happiness.  And those old cars had a stylistic elegance that the new ones just don't have.

Duffield

Howdy, 

I think new cars would maybe be more fun to drive if they had some 

switches to turn off some or all of that electrical stuff.

I would like to try that auto parking and heated steering wheels.

Best

CR

14 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

The word rare is thrown around so much it hardly means anything any more.

But yesterday I saw a blue 55 austin healy in amazing condition. 

Not one dent in the big chrome bumpers. Not one spot of rust showing.

Seats and interior looked maybe three or four years old.

If I was a billionaire I would have just gone in and bought the thing.

But Im not so I wont.

But I thought someone might want one. The price is 39,500 asking.

Repairs look like a parts list for the car.

Fun to think about buying tho....

Best

CR

Never had a Healy but I wanted a 100-6 so bad I couldn't stand it.  

i'm pretty certain that the current owned could have the asking price in the car, but I found long ago that you will almost never get the amount of a restoration, even a professional job, back when you try to sell it.  There are exceptions, but very, very few.

There was a very nice 1933 Packard open top town car in Pomona..........but that was true rarity.

One of the reasons I bought my 2006 Mazda Miata MX-5 was that all the bells and whistles on newer cars aggravate the hell out of me. I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not to be entertained, have phone conversations, have the car drive me...The day I rented a Toyota RAV4 and the darned brakes kicked in when the car thought I  was  too close to another car pretty much set me free. :angry: 

Ya know... I think my Pop had one!  I have a dim memory from sixty-some years ago of  being somehow shoehorned into the thing with Ma one rainy day.

Austin Healey 100 cars for sale | PistonHeads UK

This is MY dream car - about a 1965 or so Triumph TR-4.  I had one briefly back in the early '70's... wish I could've hung on to it:

1965 Triumph TR4 - Oldtimer zu verkaufen    

But nowadays my "daily driver" is:

1282895589_ZeldaandRod2.JPG.172fcf081b2979ff7c89decb9b4da1b2.JPG

(Sometimes I'll drive an old Dodge pickup ^_^)

Just remember, that Healey has "Lucifer"( Lucas) electrics in it . Them things is Baaaad JuJu:rolleyes::lol:;):blush:

For myself, a lottery win purchase would be a '66 Mustang GT fastback, 4bbl 289 with a four speed. As long as I could get myself to be able to get into it:rolleyes::lol::blush: 

Brilliant car.  But dated technology consigns it to back roads, and you, to everlasting maintenance. 

But, some folks enjoy both...

Cheers,

FJT

(Who had a Healey 3000, back in the day...)

I recall a pouring-down  rainy night riding passenger from Davis to Berkeley in early 1967 in a TR-4. I worked the windshield wipers manually the whole way with the back-and-forth handle provided for the purpose. No fun! A few amenities are nice....

I remember on the Cal campus back then the streets and frat driveways were littered with MGs and Triumphs, all in racing green....

4 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Just remember, that Healey has "Lucifer"( Lucas) electrics in it . Them things is Baaaad JuJu:rolleyes::lol:;):blush:

For myself, a lottery win purchase would be a '66 Mustang GT fastback, 4bbl 289 with a four speed. As long as I could get myself to be able to get into it:rolleyes::lol::blush: 

You mean "The Prince of Darkness?"

If not going for the FIA Cobra, I certainly wouldn't mind having a '66 Mustang GT either. Although, my uncle, and later my brother, had a '65 Fairlane Sport Coupe with High Performance 289 and 4speed. I might just opt for that if I were going that route, simply because of sentimental reasons.

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Back then you could tell what brand of car it was from blocks away, nowdays they all look pretty much the same.  My new one has more technology than an Apollo spacecraft but does not have the sex appeal of my 1972 BMW 2002.  

Frat buddy's dad had a tii that Bill would borrow from time to time.  That was a sweet ride!  :blush:

Archived