SASS Wire Forum

World War II Movies

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

In got this three movie DVD from a friend.  The movie are A Walk In The Sun, the worst piece of crap i ever saw.  The folks who made this got all of their militry knowledge from The Sad Sack and Beetle Bailey.  A large cast of pretty good actors couldn't save this one.

The second was Go For Broke, a well made tale about the 442nd Regimnetal Combat Brigade, an all Japanese unit that made an awesome record during the war in Europe.  This one gets a B+.

The last was Gung Ho, the story of  Carlsons Raiders, a specially organized and trained Marine Corps unit which conducted the first of our many offensive battles agains the Japanese on Makin Island in 1942.  An easy A, based on the story and its telling considering the restrictions of the ancient movie technology of the time.

Amazon Prime has a 10 part series I enjoyed titled, "The Pacific".

1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

One of my farorites isnt a war movie.

Best Years of our Lives .

Not a War Movie, It says a lot thou.

A tremendous film!

I had a Japanese America friend in California who went to war with the sate because he wasn't allowed minority status to help with his college tuition because he couldn't prove he'd been hurt by being Asian or otherwise damaged by prejudice.

He lost his temper and explained, in a very loud voice in a college office, that he'd been born in a concentration camp in Idaho after the government stole his family's home and business, without compensation, and sold them at a dime on the dollar to Caucasians. They, and thousand of other Japanese were relocated them, even though the majority were U. S. Citizens.

Security removed him from the campus and a lot of good people helped him get enough money to hire an attorney.  The law suit ran for about six years and he won....after he had worked his way through school pretty much on his own.

He got a settlement that put him in a position to start his own business and live comfortably.

A Walk in the Sun -- Lloyd Bridges? Italy?

I think I have it. Don't think I've watched it yet but I believe I have it. One of those two or three movie bundles. The same way I got Battle Hymn (which I also haven't watched) because it came bundled with To Hell and Back.

Tacoma and the surrounding area had a significant Japanese and Japanese-descended population at the outbreak of WWII. My dad had several Japanese high school friends. All of those friends, of course, were sent to the relocation camps. It was a very bad situation.

His view was that it was an obvious injustice, but the hysteria of the early part of the War, combined with the inescapble racism in large segments of the population, made it necessary for the protection of the Japanese themselves at the time. Those who knew the Japanese all knew that the fears of a 'fifth column' were baseless.

One thing he talked about most on the subject: the deportation to the camps separated good people and bad in the neighbors of these folks. Many local farmers farmed the lands of the deported, paid the taxes, and returned the property to their Japanese neighbors at the end of the internments (which had mostly occurred before wars end). Others were only too happy to take advantage, and buy the properties for next-to-nothing at tax sales. 

Archived