SASS Wire Forum

Is there a minimum space in between shotgun target

Dirty Dog Doug

Short answer...no. 
We usually set up our single targets a few feet apart and the stage instructions read "all knockdowns must fall" and the round count is stated as 4+ or 6+, etc.  However, on occasion, we have also sat them up closer and allowed them to be taken down with less rounds.  A favorite is six targets set up in a pyramid (one in first row, two in second, 3 in the third) with stage instructions stating the number of rounds as "whatever it takes".

43 minutes ago, Black Hills Barb said:

Short answer...no. 
We usually set up our single targets a few feet apart and the stage instructions read "all knockdowns must fall" and the round count is stated as 4+ or 6+, etc.  However, on occasion, we have also sat them up closer and allowed them to be taken down with less rounds.  A favorite is six targets set up in a pyramid (one in first row, two in second, 3 in the third) with stage instructions stating the number of rounds as "whatever it takes".

In another sport, this is when the "operators" start changing chokes. Can you take two at a time? Can you even take three at a time? Is the exercise worth the gamble? How big are the beads of sweat? How many beads of sweat are there?

And the big question... Are the "operators" at least half as fast as the dude who simply just knows how to run his gun?

19 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

In another sport, this is when the "operators" start changing chokes. Can you take two at a time? Can you even take three at a time? Is the exercise worth the gamble? How big are the beads of sweat? How many beads of sweat are there?

And the big question... Are the "operators" at least half as fast as the dude who simply just knows how to run his gun?

Will not matter if you can knock two or three down with one shot.  Most, if not all, matches for cowboy action shooting is...., if there are 2 shotgun knockdowns, the shooter is required to shoot twice....., four knockdowns require four shots, etc.  There may be a very few places or annuals that stray from that standard.  

42 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

Pattern your (or somebody else's) coach gun on cardboard at your normal shotgun target distance. Does it look like it will?

Pattern test a few different shotguns at various distances (take some flattened boxes to the next match).
Some coach guns have chokes...most sawed off shortened shotguns are cylinder bore.

I know that a lot of clubs always use "any order" for SG targets in their stage description. However, we often require an order in some stages as it provides variety, particularly if we use the same setup for multiple stages. Example for 4 targets in a row: "Engage the two outside targets first, then the two inner targets." If you do that you have to provide reasonable space between the targets which is also dependent from shooting distance, of course. 

Equanimous Phil

Well it's in the Rule books somewhere I'm sure. I can't seem to find it right now since the books have been rearraigned, but in the old books it was clearly stated on page 35 or was it 37... that Shotgun Targets must be spaced at least the width of a #6 shot apart, or they can be overlapping or in some cases farther apart or with MD approval they can not be spaced apart. That should nail it down and clear it up for you.  Happy I could help

Snakebite

6 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Well it's in the Rule books somewhere I'm sure. I can't seem to find it right now since the books have been rearraigned, but in the old books it was clearly stated on page 35 or was it 37... that Shotgun Targets must be spaced at least the width of a #6 shot apart, or they can be overlapping or in some cases farther apart or with MD approval they can not be spaced apart. That should nail it down and clear it up for you.  Happy I could help

Snakebite

Indeed.  I remember that.  Believe it was page 36, 2nd para.

..........Widder

Archived