SASS Wire Forum

This astounds me

Alpo

I got an email today from the electric company. It warned me about holiday scams.

It said people would show up saying that I had to overdue bill, and unless I paid them right then and there they would turn off my power.

That part I can believe.

It said that they will ask for my credit card number or my debit card number. That part I can believe.

And it said they will ask me to pay in prepaid gift cards.

This is the confusing part.

I've heard of other scams that want this . You get a phone call that says, "hi this is your grandson and we got pulled over in Mumble mumble Arkansas and my friend had a joint, so I'm under arrest and the only way to get out of jail is to pay this $500 fine, which they want me to pay with Walmart gift cards".

And I sit there thinking why would the city hall of Mumble Mumble Arkansas accept gift cards from Walmart? Why wouldn't they prefer money?

I've heard of several scams that all involve you going down and buying prepaid gift cards from Walmart and sending the numbers to the scammer. Doesn't that sound strange to anyone else? Apparently it doesn't sound strange to enough people, because I understand that this scam is used all the time.

My wife was in a Walmart in Oregon where a lady was buying $500 worth of gift cards to get her grandson out of jail. The clerk apparently realized what was happening and called the manager over. The manager talked to the lady then convinced her they needed to call the police. 

So, people do fall for this crap. 

We knew a lady from church that paid the IRS $3600 on her credit card. Luckily that was all they got scammed for. She called her husband and he stopped her before she paid more on a different card. 

Auto communista scams me everyday stealing the meanings of my words and turning Walmart into “Wheelchair Alimony”...I kid you not...:angry: :lol:

21 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Mumble Mumble?

Ain't that just west of Slapout?

Oh!  You said Arkansas!  Never mind.

My daughter and her family live between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, Arkansas.

I’d have to Google Mumble Mumble though.

17 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Wouldn't you recognize your grand son's voice

If I got a phone call from my granddaughter, and she said, "Hello, this is your granddaughter", I believe I would ask her what her name was.

If I had some reason to call my grandma back when I was a kid, I would have said, "Hey Grandma, this is Alpo, Shirley's son". Cuz Mama had three kids, Aunt Betty had seven kids, and I ain't sure how many kids her three sons had. She had several grandchildren. I would have felt the need to specify.

But simply, "this is your grandson"?

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

My daughter and her family live between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, Arkansas.

I’d have to Google Mumble Mumble though.

I initially thought that he was talking about Alabama (although,  there's a Slapout, Oklahoma,  too).

According to the Yankees (the corporate call center is in Chicago) that I routinely deal with when ordering parts, the towns in the Southeast (and Oklahoma since that's where our Indians ended up) with Indian names sound like Mumble Mumble  to them.  I tell them the in-house customer ID number so's they have to read the address and city back just to screw with them on their butchering of the pronounciation.

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I initially thought that he was talking about Alabama (although,  there's a Slapout, Oklahoma,  too).

According to the Yankees (the corporate call center is in Chicago) that I routinely deal with when ordering parts, the towns in the Southeast (and Oklahoma since that's where our Indians ended up) with Indian names sound like Mumble Mumble  to them.  I tell them the in-house customer ID number so's they have to read the address and city back just to screw with them on their butchering of the pronounciation.

Used to have fun with the tourists coming through and trying to pronounce local names.  Did this in Utah, Washington, and California.  Some in Virginia and both Carolinas....and then there was Illinois.

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

I got an email today from the electric company. It warned me about holiday scams.

It said people would show up saying that I had to overdue bill, and unless I paid them right then and there they would turn off my power.

That part I can believe.

It said that they will ask for my credit card number or my debit card number. That part I can believe.

And it said they will ask me to pay in prepaid gift cards.

This is the confusing part.

I've heard of other scams that want this . You get a phone call that says, "hi this is your grandson and we got pulled over in Mumble mumble Arkansas and my friend had a joint, so I'm under arrest and the only way to get out of jail is to pay this $500 fine, which they want me to pay with Walmart gift cards".

And I sit there thinking why would the city hall of Mumble Mumble Arkansas accept gift cards from Walmart? Why wouldn't they prefer money?

I've heard of several scams that all involve you going down and buying prepaid gift cards from Walmart and sending the numbers to the scammer. Doesn't that sound strange to anyone else? Apparently it doesn't sound strange to enough people, because I understand that this scam is used all the time.

It is good to see that you occasionally astounded, rather than perpetually perplexed.

14 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Ain't that just west of Slapout?

My Mom was born in Slapout.  Most folks don't believer her.  Shortly after birth, they moved to Chilton County.  It was a step up.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

My Mom was born in Slapout.  Most folks don't believer her.  Shortly after birth, they moved to Chilton County.  It was a step up.

I take it that was before they decided to put on airs and get high toned by changing the name to Holtsville.

Worked with a guy back in the early '90's that was from Bugtussle and I've got relatives that live in Nankipooh.

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

Bugtussle? Were not the Beverly Hillbillies from Bugtussle?

It's about 25 minutes away from me on the Tennessee/Kentucky border.

My mom grew up in Pumpkintown which is about 5 minutes from Bugtussle. Neat little spot in the road. When I was young we'd go to my grandparents after Church on Sunday and we'd all drive over to the store there to get bottled drinks and a moon pie out of the machines. That country store closed at least 15 years ago.

35 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It's about 25 minutes away from me on the Tennessee/Kentucky border.

My mom grew up in Pumpkintown which is about 5 minutes from Bugtussle. Neat little spot in the road. When I was young we'd go to my grandparents after Church on Sunday and we'd all drive over to the store there to get bottled drinks and a moon pie out of the machines. That country store closed at least 15 years ago.

There's actually 2 of them.:huh:

(Yeah, I thought the same thing!)

The one in Alabama is up Cullman County.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Up the road between Gum Stump and Pocahontis

Just a little west of Deer, Ark.

Archived