SASS Wire Forum

Thirty Years Ago. Quite a Day

DocWard

Today is my wedding anniversary! Given the year we've had, I do need to say a few things more than I usually would.

Thirty years ago today, at 10 a.m., I answered the phone, and so began a day that still seems part farce, part drama, and if it had been offered up as a screenplay, would have been rejected as unbelievable. That day was the start of a humorous few days, a very strange few months, and a truly remarkable lifetime with the love of my life. Today, I thought I would mention a few highlights. To do the entire story justice requires much more time and perhaps an adult beverage or two.

It was at ten a.m. that I got the phone call from my brother asking if I wanted "the bad news or the bad news first." The bad news was I had been activated for Desert Shield. It was my best friend and fraternity brother from college, who got me through the rest of the day with my wits intact, who provided the good news. At least I didn't have to worry about that damn paper I had been stressing about!

My brother-in-law to be met me at the door to his parents' house, and unintentionally gave me a laugh, when after stammering trying to tell me the news I already knew, said "I need a drink," and left me sorely tempted to have a drink myself. I owe my friend from college many thanks, for knowing that would have been a bad thing.

We made it through the day, and I was in white tie and tails, and hurrying outside the church to be where I needed to be on time, when this small person stepped out of a car directly into my path, saying in no uncertain terms "You! We need some help," or something of the sort. I just recall trying to stop in slick bottomed shoes and fearing I was going to crush this person if I fell on her. It was my introduction to the "New York" portion of the clan.

The wedding itself went smoothly (despite some behind the scenes hiccups). The reception can only be described as something else entirely. Despite not drinking much at all (a couple of toasts was it), much of it seems a blur. I do recall my now brother-in-law leading a now (legendary? infamous?) conga line through the kitchen of the club. I also recall saying "what the hell," when I saw a couple of the wealthiest and most respected men in town doing "The Gator" to Shout. I also recall my fraternity brothers actually being on their best behavior. Not that they wanted to be, mind you. And I recall a first dance with a beautiful bride who is beautiful after all these years later.

Unfortunately, a few of the people who made that day important have died in the past few months, one over the past weekend. Others, including my mother-in-law and father-in-law, who were so hugely important in my life, have gone as well. But they remain in spirit.

That is just the start of the story. Actually, the oddness started the night before at the rehearsal, continued through the night and the next morning, then beyond.

Oh, and yes, that grin is still one that Mrs. Doc brings to my face.

11-17-90b.JPG

Happy Anniversary,Doc! Interesting story you've got going,there. We got married at my home, underneath the ship picture on the wall( my wife called it the shi% picture:lol:). After the ceremony, she was wearing platform shoes( didn't we all in the '70's?). Despite having been around the house for months, she ran into the open cupboard door. When we got to the hotel for the weekend, I carried her over the threshold and instead of setting her on the bed, proceeded to set her on the floor! We still get a good chuckle with that one when we bring that up!:rolleyes::blush:

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Doc!

52 years for SWMBO and I, in-spite of us nearly getting ourselves drowned the day after the wedding, after getting our cruiser into weather we weren't expecting!

Thanks for the comments everyone. It remains a day fresh in my memory, along with the surrounding days. I've always joked that she suffered from temporary insanity for saying "I will" and "I do," but after twenty-five years I broke the news that I had to take the "temporary" part of the label off. I will correct myself and say she doesn't suffer from insanity. In all honesty, she seems to enjoy it as much as I do!

Well done Doc.  If it's bragging time We'll do 60 in JUne.

Now by golly this is absolutely delightful!

Well done and lead on!

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Well done Doc.  If it's bragging time We'll do 60 in JUne.

Brag away! I'm hope I'm good for another thirty, because I'll be happy to spend all thirty with her!

Archived