SASS Wire Forum

SOLD Unique 28 Gauge Rolling Block Rifle

Dusty Morningwood

SOLD Not something you see every day. This is a Scandinavian fullstocked rolling block in 28 GAUGE RIFLE! It is a gunsmith built affair, wherein an older muzzleloader with hand forged box breech barrel was converted to a cartridge gun by mating barrel and stock to a commercial rolling block shotgun action. The ornate barrel is 38" long and shows some spots of thin surface delamination, typical to this kind of forged barrel. It has a shootable bore with very deep rifling and pitting throughout. Still actually shoots pretty well for what was intended to be a short range moose gun. It is missing the rear sight, as it was badly broken when I got the gun. Just fell apart while I was messing with photos. I made some functional shells using cut down 28 gauge hulls and .54 Minie' bullets. Better cases could be made from Magtech brass. To test fire, I glued a rear sight on after some Kentucky windage bore sighting. Actually seemed centered! See target fired at 35 yards. Take into consideration old eyes, cloudy, tiny blade and notch sights, iffy rest in my truck window, and my difficulty with consistent sight picture. Group measured about 4"x5". Some better potential there. Asking Asking $400 SHIPPED. More photos available.IMG_20200803_084512320.thumb.jpg.748ca54157701170de61b07cf21e8e9d.jpg

IMG_20200802_200934995.jpg

IMG_20200801_090005696.jpg

IMG_20200801_085830764.jpg

IMG_20200802_200840918.jpg

IMG_20200801_090052273.jpg

IMG_20200920_142639863.jpg

BTT.

Dusty

That is a cool gun.

If I were a younger man and wanting to build a collection instead of dispersing I would be all over this.

Do have a question:

What is the "thing" that looks like a hammer that's just to the right of the hammer in the breech picture?

I hope you can decipher what I mean there!

Waimea

8 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Dusty

That is a cool gun.

If I were a younger man and wanting to build a collection instead of dispersing I would be all over this.

Do have a question:

What is the "thing" that looks like a hammer that's just to the right of the hammer in the breech picture?

I hope you can decipher what I mean there!

Waimea

It is cool, but I have three gauge guns already. This came with a lot I bought. I just thought it would be cool to mess around with and it was. You mean the screwdriver handle? I use it to prop up guns for photos.

54 minutes ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

It is cool, but I have three gauge guns already. This came with a lot I bought. I just thought it would be cool to mess around with and it was. You mean the screwdriver handle? I use it to prop up guns for photos.

Not the screwdriver. That's to the left of the hammer. What is to the right of the hammer almost dead center of the picture, pointing straight up?

Oh. My other right! That is the thumb piece on the block.

IMG_20200802_201005078.jpg

Ha, I was gonna say your other right but I'm trying to cut back on my smarta$$edness.:lol:

Anyhow, I see now. Thanks for the photo.

My eye was telling me it looked like a flash pan.

My brain said WHOA HORSEY! NOT ON THAT GUN.

But then the brain couldn't come up with the answer either.

THANK YOU!

Sunday Bump!

Archived