SASS Wire Forum

Drug testing

Alpo

Does the drug have to be in your body to break down?

Let's say somebody got roofied, but it's been 15 hours (?) since it happened, and when they test her they can find no trace of the drug.

But if she had peed in the cup 4 hours after she got drugged, and the cup was saved, would the pee in the cup show drug traces?

Would the drug breakdown after the urine had been removed from the body?

Depends on the drug, her body weight, water intake. I would think drugs suspended in urine wouldn’t breakdown or go anywhere, but I sure it depends on the drug. 

29 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The word roofie comes from the drug Rohypnol.  Date rape drug.

Thanks, Mark.  That just goes to show you how long since I've been in the drug business.

36 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks, Mark.  That just goes to show you how long since I've been in the drug business.

I learned more about it than I ever wanted to know working on a University Campus for 7 years.

Metabolism is what makes drugs break down.  Thus, the sample you mentioned in your example would still be present.  The same is true when a drunk driver crashes and dies -- the body is no longer metabolizing the alcohol, so the BAC will remain constant until testing is completed.  

The issue with residues is the ADME (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion) rates of the drug.  ADME data can be found on the internet, usually as part of the patent data.

From Wiki:

As of 2016, blood tests can identify flunitrazepam at concentrations of as low as 4 nanograms per millilitre; the elimination half life of the drug is 11–25 hours. For urine samples, metabolites can be identified for 60 hours to 28 days, depending on the dose and analytical method used. Hair and saliva can also be analyzed; hair is useful when a long time has transpired since ingestion, and saliva for workplace drug tests.[23]

Archived