SASS Wire Forum

Battery cars was fun .. what about Battery tools?

Dirty Dog Doug

How come since I retired the battery tools have gotten soo much  better??!!

While my Dewalt garden tools dont have the power of gas ones . Being able to grab it and pull the trigger instead off hoping it starts on the first pull 

while  I have had a number of battteries turn to paper weights Dewalt has been good about replacing them 

that fan had saved me one some hot summer shoots  { well hot for the SF bay area  92}

how far we have come since the  9.6 volt makitas 

IMG_0486.JPG

The impact wrenches and vacuum are worth a look.  Great for rolling around the car on a stool without an air hose or extension cord to fall over. Great for vacuuming the car or spot cleaning after drilling a hole in the house.  No cords or bulky shop vac and she doesn’t yell about it being the “good” vacuum.

Like my Milwaukee 18V brushless tools.  They work well!!!

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

How come since I retired the battery tools have gotten soo much  better??!!

While my Dewalt garden tools dont have the power of gas ones . Being able to grab it and pull the trigger instead off hoping it starts on the first pull 

while  I have had a number of battteries turn to paper weights Dewalt has been good about replacing them 

that fan had saved me one some hot summer shoots  { well hot for the SF bay area  92}

how far we have come since the  9.6 volt makitas 

IMG_0486.JPG

Really?  They do that?  For free or for how much?  I've got a bunch of old batteries and some DeWalt tools that are almost paperweights due to lack of working batteries.  I'm not sure if they even still sell the battery types I need, but they were expensive when they did sell them.

Angus

27 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Really?  They do that?  For free or for how much?  I've got a bunch of old batteries and some DeWalt tools that are almost paperweights due to lack of working batteries.  I'm not sure if they even still sell the battery types I need, but they were expensive when they did sell them.

Angus

there where under  a year old  3 year battery  guarranty  for dewalt  . the best selling part of Rigid  is life time 

The big change was from nimh, to lithium.  That made a huge difference in weight, self discharge, and life.   Interestingly Ridgid and ryobi (both owned by TTI) are the only products that have not changed battery mounting.  This allows older tools to be updated to new batteries.   Really helps as all my old batteries are dead, but the tools are not. 

We are guessing that most mfg change battery interface regularly to keep the aftermarket from making copy batteries.   They patent the mount so it can’t be copied.   

4 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

The big change was from nimh, to lithium.  That made a huge difference in weight, self discharge, and life.   Interestingly Ridgid and ryobi (both owned by TTI) are the only products that have not changed battery mounting.  This allows older tools to be updated to new batteries.   Really helps as all my old batteries are dead, but the tools are not. 

We are guessing that most mfg change battery interface regularly to keep the aftermarket from making copy batteries.   They patent the mount so it can’t be copied.   

DeWalt makes an adapter so that the new shoe style batteries can be used with the older post style tools. However you cannot leave a battery in the tool when using the adapter as it will cause the battery to slowly discharge.

I have no clue why but it does.

Archived