SASS Wire Forum

Pewter (Tin) Ingots $10/lb

Waimea

Ingots are approximately 5lbs a piece.

$12 $10 a pound plus shipping.

Made from melting pewter candlesticks, plates, mugs, pitchers, even pewter figurines.

Shipping will be $15 in a medium flat rate USPS priority box. Up to 65 pounds.

I ship 10lbs or less in a small flat rate box for $8.

I can take PayPal or check.

Checks will need to clear before the box is sent.

Second photo below shows the origin of the pewter ingots.

Some of the pieces are marked 95% Zinn.

I have approximately 200 lbs.

IMG_20200511_114157650.jpg

IMG_20201203_101257913.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

what is the composition of those? are they 100% tin or a mix.

kR

Howdy Kid

Pewter mix.

You might have missed it above.

Basically bought anything that said pewter or zinn on the bottom. Plates, beer mugs, figurines. If it was pewter we bought it.

Melted it down and made ingots.

That's what I'm selling.

W

Just started gathering pewter pieces myself. I don't really need it, just gives me something to look for when I  go to garage sales and Goodwill. I'm there with the kids  anyway, as my daughter is a clothes hound and my son collects vintage video consoles and games.

19 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

WOW..Iffin' I was a lot closer I'd jump on the lot  !!!

Yep, I'd love for you to have it too.

You guys pay through the nose for everything gun related Down Under.

Not sure how the prices of other things are.

14 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Just started gathering pewter pieces myself. I don't really need it, just gives me something to look for when I  go to garage sales and Goodwill. I'm there with the kids  anyway, as my daughter is a clothes hound and my son collects vintage video consoles and games.

We got a lot from Goodwill and just garage sales.

You get better telling the Pewter from everything else after a while. I picked up this nice piggy bank shaped like a cube, with animals on the sides, very heavy, engraved with someones name and I assume B-day on the top. I know it wasn't zinc, aluminum, lead or steel, so I figured pewter. But it didn't want to melt. Took it to a jeweler and they said it was mostly silver. Gave me 56.00 for it. More than made up for the stuff I bought that wasn't pewter.

22 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

You get better telling the Pewter from everything else after a while. I picked up this nice piggy bank shaped like a cube, with animals on the sides, very heavy, engraved with someones name and I assume B-day on the top. I know it wasn't zinc, aluminum, lead or steel, so I figured pewter. But it didn't want to melt. Took it to a jeweler and they said it was mostly silver. Gave me 56.00 for it. More than made up for the stuff I bought that wasn't pewter.

Wow! That's a find.

Silver melts at something like 1200° so that would just sit there for a while.

If it doesn't say pewter or zinn I don't buy it. Got burned too many times when I first started. And candlesticks are not my favorite either. Mostly filled with plaster or something.

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

What can you use the pewter for, Waimea?

The optimal mixture for "hard cast" bullets contains 92% lead, 6% antimony and 2% tin.

The 2% tin has two functions.

The first function is allowing the 92-6-2 alloy to flow freely into the mold making purdy bullets.

The second is that it actually hardens the alloy.

Note that I use tin and pewter interchangeably. More knowledgeable people may not.

So this is what bullet makers use it for.

Of course there are other uses like figurines, mugs, candlesticks. Not sure what everyone's other interests are.

Thanks for asking Marshal.

I may be able to get it XRF scanned to get the exact alloy mix if anyone want to send samples. Tiny samples are sufficient; like the size of a match head. Also; if you use bmpo spreadsheet from castboolits you can fine tune your alloys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDy6TjJeVfs&ab_channel=FortuneCookie45LC 

I have lots of lead alloys available also including linotype etc.

Lead samples 2014.08.22~27_25p.jpg

Archived