SASS Wire Forum

Pads for fingers? My SxS is killing my finger!

Cholla

I keeping getting my middle finger pounded firing my SxS. The trigger guard pounds it during recoil. Short of using reduced recoil reloads, what else can I do?

band-aid.

I have some large caliber revolvers that I shoot some hefty loads.   Either the band aid or a glove serves me well

to help keep the trigger guard from busting against my middle finger knuckle.

..........Widder

Cholla, there was a similar thread not too long back, lots of input.  When I started, my Baikal was bruising my middle finger, but at first I didn't realize it.  I thought it was sore from the lever (no lever wrap) of my stiff Winchester 94.  When I figured out it was the shotgun, I just consciously gripped it a bit further back.  After a few matches it became natural and I didn't have to think about it.  Shooting the same Baikal today.   Not sure what your shotgun is, but it old it might need forcing cones lengthened.

56 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I keeping getting my middle finger pounded firing my SxS. The trigger guard pounds it during recoil. Short of using reduced recoil reloads, what else can I do?

Go to the hardware store and purchase a short length of rubber tubing. I believe 3/8 is the correct size. Remove the trigger guard screw and slide about an inch length of tubing on the rear of the trigger guard. This will keep you from beating your finger to death.

(Yes, rubber tubing is legal. It is a natural material.)

You will need to replace this once a year or so.

7 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Cholla, there was a similar thread not too long back, lots of input.  When I started, my Baikal was bruising my middle finger, but at first I didn't realize it.  I thought it was sore from the lever (no lever wrap) of my stiff Winchester 94.  When I figured out it was the shotgun, I just consciously gripped it a bit further back.  After a few matches it became natural and I didn't have to think about it.  Shooting the same Baikal today.   Not sure what your shotgun is, but it old it might need forcing cones lengthened.

Right now I'm shooting a Baikal because I'm waiting for my CZ Hammer Coach to come back from Johnny Meadows.

There are several things that help with the problem.  Try to find some shells that are listed as under 1200fps velocity.  Some around 1000 fps if possible. Loads around 1 ounce or 7/8 ounce  (even less) work fine in our game.  Another is to midify the stock to English style,  (straight stock).  The pistol grip type stock crowds the shooters hand up against the back of the trigger guard.  Also, padding on the trigger guard will help some. 

Blackfoot

10 hours ago, Cholla said:

Short of using reduced recoil reloads, what else can I do?

Why are you avoiding reduced recoil loads?  Most of us use light loads.

A sore finger is the price you pay for being macho!!  :D

A simple temporary solution may be to wrap a piece of athletic tape around your finger on the spot that's getting hit.  You can tear a standard roll of athletic tape to the width you need.  If necessary, you could add a small moleskin to the exact spot and then wrap tape around it.  Several of our really fast shooters tape their trigger fingers because they have stuck triggers through their fingers.

The other solution, as other have suggested, is to pad the part of the trigger guard that is hitting your finger.  Some suede leather would work well.  If you don't have any on hand, Hobby Lobby carries small pieces.

5 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Do a search for Shotgun trigger guard cushion - Beretta and several other companies offer what you might want to consider.

STL Suomi

Most of these are ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

My thought as well. Enquiring minds want to know...

5 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Do a search for Shotgun trigger guard cushion - Beretta and several other companies offer what you might want to consider.

13 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Most of these are ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an example of one that is ILLEGAL (confirmed by the ROC as such)

image.png

Train yourself - go buy a box of Dove hunting loads. Get to a range & casually go through the box. Take your time & consciously pay attention to your grip.   I'll bet by the time you get done - your afflicted finger will be nowhere near the trigger guard any more.

I am using a Baikal also.  Same problem starting out.  I started using the rear trigger first, then the front.  It caused me to grip a little farther back.  After a couple of matches,  it seemed was an unconscious movement (muscle memory).  

Then I switched to BP which is much softer(see profile picture).  Now I am not sure which trigger I use first and I don't care.

Chancy

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

A sore finger is the price you pay for being macho!!  :D

Mainly because I just got my reloading bench set up again after our move. I used to shoot Estate and Remington Gun Club 1 oz loads but lately they seem to hit harder. I normally shoot a CZ Hammer Coach but it's being souped up. Maybe the trigger guard is different on it. I grabbed all the AA hulls that people didn't want yesterday after the match so now I have a bunch to reload.

1 minute ago, Cholla said:

Mainly because I just got my reloading bench set up again after our move. I used to shoot Estate and Remington Gun Club 1 oz loads but lately they seem to hit harder. I normally shoot a CZ Hammer Coach but it's being souped up. Maybe the trigger guard is different on it. I grabbed all the AA hulls that people didn't want yesterday after the match so now I have a bunch to reload.

It is a common problem with Baikal double guns. The trigger guard and stock are too close together. Changing your grip may help till you forget. Once the finger is bruised then even the slightest touch will be uncomfortable.

4 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

It is a common problem with Baikal double guns. The trigger guard and stock are too close together. Changing your grip may help till you forget. Once the finger is bruised then even the slightest touch will be uncomfortable.

You're preaching to the choir my friend. I'm still sore and swollen.

47 minutes ago, Cholla said:

You're preaching to the choir my friend. I'm still sore and swollen.

That is why I gave you the instructions to install a piece of tubing on the trigger guard. 50 cents worth of tubing and a smile on your face.

3 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

That is why I gave you the instructions to install a piece of tubing on the trigger guard. 50 cents worth of tubing and a smile on your face.

I will check after work. I need to figure out which tubing is natural and which is un-natural. And see if it will fit behind the trigger.

I stopped in at Walgreens and found some "tubing" that claims to be all natural latex. It's sold by a company by the name of Trojan. It does claim to be for protection. :huh:

40 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have cut, reshaped, rewelded and refinished several trigger guards to solve this issue ....

Jabez Cowboy

I think this is the best answer.

I have a Baikal single trigger that I hate shooting. It's strictly a backup gun.

I just now compared it to my SKB and found the trigger to back of trigger guard is 1/2 inch longer on the Baikal. No wonder it hurts my hand.

Reshaping the trigger guard is now on my to do list.

I have this problem with my Miroku SxS... smashing hell out of my middle finger, even with AA Featherlites.
My solution is using the middle finger on the triggers instead my index finger.

I take the SxS to my weekly trap shoot and run a round just with that gun.
My buds are amenable to me doing SASS-style double loads for practice.

They are also amenable to my loading 5 at a time into my 870 pump, so I will have plenty of muscle-memory practice when the time comes to need it.

Shot Baikal 2 trigger guns for several years.

Light loads.

Firm grip on pistol grip.

TIGHT mount of butt pad to shoulder.

Check that length of pull is long enough for your body configuration.

Goodluck, GJ

I had the same problem with my single trigger Baikal. That and the tip of the trigger was so sharp it poked a hole in my finger. I smoothed out the tip of the trigger and solved that problem but ended up selling the shotgun because I just didn't like it. 

On 11/15/2020 at 10:18 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.35

I have not hit the hardware store yet but I have been looking online. From everything I'm seeing latex surgical tubing is considered natural rubber. Is that acceptable?

Archived