SASS Wire Forum

do dogs have tastebuds?

Alpo

Anything that I have handed my dog, she eats. With the exception of banana, which I believe had to do more with the texture than with the flavor.

I have fed my dogs, over the years, some of the nastiest crap that has ended up on my plate, and they always ate it.

In the cartoon thread there are two horses looking at a six pack of beer, and one of them tells the other one that it is a calming supplement. That was a new-to-me term, so I looked it up, and learned much about calming supplements for horses. Several of what one article claimed were the best calming supplements tasted bad to the horses, so apparently horses have taste buds.

But do dogs?

Our dogs definitely have taste buds. For instance they love two week old deer entrails, both to eat and subsequently roll in, but will not touch any kind of fresh cooked meat with even a touch of sriracha sauce on it. :rolleyes:

go figure. 
regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

When you see the dog working in the field.......

The dog stops to smell and then eat a cow pie......

Makes you kinda smile because you know when you get home the dog is going to want to say hello and lick your wife.

I am going to hell for letting this secret out!

My little dog has taste buds.  Some things she won't eat and others she'll climb over me for.

She loves raw hamburger nuked for about fifteen second to take the chill off and will fight for beef jerky.  I think she's Jewish, too.  Won't touch any hog product and won't even sniff sea food, especially shell fish.  Maybe a tad of salmon once in awhile.

Boston terriers will eat ANYTHING!   You can throw them a scrap and it doesn't slow down untill it hits the pit of their stomach.  But they can spit a pill out of the side of their mouth while the hamburger ball it was wrapped in never slows down.

9 minutes ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Boston terriers will eat ANYTHING!   You can throw them a scrap and it doesn't slow down untill it hits the pit of their stomach.  But they can spit a pill out of the side of their mouth while the hamburger ball it was wrapped in never slows down.

My mother was a founding member of the New York Boston Terrier Club.

We always had to push the darn pill half way down their stomachs to make sure the swallowed the damn thing.

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Yes.  Fewer than humans.  They got nose, we got tongue.

No accounting for taste.

:)

41 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

No self-respecting terrier from Boston would belong to a New York dog club.........;)

LL

Refer to 2nd post. Oh by the way this explains some of my friends as well.

All my dogs have definitely had tastebuds. They each had their likes and dislikes. I am pretty sure none of them like or liked bananas. Anything meat related - Absolutely! My dog Wilbur could detect a pea in anything and somehow eat all around the peas in his bowl. My dog Maddie hates even the littlest piece of lettuce even if attached to burger meat. My dog Daisy would openly drool over Salmon but didn’t like other fish. 

Yes, they definitely have tastebuds. 

I understand that dogs prefer sweet things while cats lean toward salty stuff.  

My Cocker Spaniel is kinda particular as to what she eats but my daughter's two Dobermans will eat gobble anything without bothering with taking the wrapper off. I don't think the taste buds theory works on those two.

10 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Yeah, most of mine have been like that.  A whole bowl of food would disappear almost instantly leaving any peas or mushrooms in the bottom of the dish.

The most common flavor apply to dog food is an extract that tastes to dogs like rotten chicken.  Industry taste studies have shown that to be the most popular with dogs followed by liver flavor.  

Personally, my dog loved chicken, but he not nearly like he did all fish; raw or cooked.  He loved liver.  He loved ham, but wouldn't touch bacon.  And he never encountered a type of cheese that he didn't attack.  I would wrap his pills in either cheese or ham.  He'd take them without a pause.

A dog's olfactory sense (smell) is  up to 1,000,000 times better than a human's.  A dog's sense of taste is 1/6th as much (9000 taste buds for humans, 1700 for dogs).  

RI love those apple chips like Seneca brand, particularly the cinnamon flavored ones.

Our last Dalmatian, Traveller*, would eat potatoes any way that you could prepare them! Hell! He’d eat potatoes raw!!!  He loved potato chips!

I would roll on the floor laughing at him when I tossed him an apple chip!  Have you ever seen a dog spit?? I’m here to tell you!!  That dog could literally spit an apple chip ten feet!!

Never laughed so hard in my life!!! :lol:

* (I know that traveler is spelled with only one “L”!  Traveller was named after Robert E. Lee’s horse! Look it up...)

Archived