SASS Wire Forum

Bought EMF Great Westerns (from SASS Classified)

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

I thought I’d share my thoughts (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly) on the EMF Great Western II Alcehmista III I recently purchased off the SASS Wire Classified. 

Special “Thank you” to @Happy Appy

I saw the Ruger Vaquero video and was waiting to this one, I don't think it was more than a few hours old when I watched it. As to be expected, it's a great review. I've been fancying a shooter with an army grip, but have been holding that on the back burner. But now....

@Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 understand that it is with the upmost respect and love when I say, "I hate you." :D

(Hmmm, I wonder if I can get a Vaquero with army grips.)

Been there a couple of times.   Great fun!  And the diner is terrific for either breakfast or lunch!

On 11/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, Cholla Bob said:

Great video and review

On 11/15/2020 at 5:41 PM, DeaconKC said:

Really fun, thanks!

Thank you.  

On 11/15/2020 at 7:36 PM, watab kid said:

loved that review , i had thought to get a pair a bit back and switched to a pair of  great western 38s instead 

Thanks. 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, Hendo said:

I saw the Ruger Vaquero video and was waiting to this one, I don't think it was more than a few hours old when I watched it. As to be expected, it's a great review. I've been fancying a shooter with an army grip, but have been holding that on the back burner. But now....

@Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 understand that it is with the upmost respect and love when I say, "I hate you." :D

(Hmmm, I wonder if I can get a Vaquero with army grips.)

I wouldn’t take it any other way Hendo.  ;)

On 11/16/2020 at 4:29 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

Love the smoke and fire!  Are the new pistols .44-40’s?

.357  (I always leave out some important detail in my episodes!  :D

On 11/16/2020 at 6:37 AM, Patagonia Pete said:

Wow!! A professional quality production.

Always "more" than just an equipment review ...

Every episode ... an honest insight into cowboy action shooting (ie: the puddles ... trying to find the range). fire.gif.100ce5fef8ebfe902fb2c7a53d74c80c.gif 

Thanks!!

You’re welcome. I do try to keep it all real (most of the time) and give folks an immersive experience.

23 hours ago, Griff said:

Been there a couple of times.   Great fun!  And the diner is terrific for either breakfast or lunch!

Funny thing is I’d been to that diner before but had never passed through when this club was shootin’.  

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Outside of the barrel shape, is there any difference between the Alchemista II & III?

I’m not 100% sure... perhaps someone else is more familiar with the Alchemista line of revolvers than I am.  This is the first pair I’ve owned and I bought ‘em because of those unique barrels.  

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Alchimista-III-c587.htm

I have two pairs of Alchemista revolvers. The first pair I bought were the Alchemistas prior to them being offered with the lower, wider hammer. After the III Deluxe came out I bought a pair. The lower, wider hammer is a bit easier on my arthritic left thumb as I shoot either Duelist or Gf. I replaced the hammers on my first pair of pistols with the lowered hammers. I really like the 1860 grip frame so well that I have two pairs of 1860 revolvers, one pair of which has been cut down to belly gun size and they are a hoot and surprisingly accurate.

Regards

High Road

26 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have this pair of Cimarron Eleminator 8s in 45 Colt that are Pietta with 60 Army grip frames,  lowered hammers, octagon barrels and short stroked.   Maybe I'll make a video on them over the winter.

1769465977_CimarronEliminator8Sept2019.jpg.782c8820ba8e893e590360e3b8895fb2.jpg

PLZ do so :excl:

OLG 

15 hours ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

Thank you.  

Thanks. 

I wouldn’t take it any other way Hendo.  ;)

.357  (I always leave out some important detail in my episodes!  :D

You’re welcome. I do try to keep it all real (most of the time) and give folks an immersive experience.

Funny thing is I’d been to that diner before but had never passed through when this club was shootin’.  

I’m not 100% sure... perhaps someone else is more familiar with the Alchemista line of revolvers than I am.  This is the first pair I’ve owned and I bought ‘em because of those unique barrels.  

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Alchimista-III-c587.htm

Did you ever check the weight difference between those and the round bbl versions?

OLG 

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did you ever check the weight difference between those and the round bbl versions?

OLG 

You guys should start another thread ... Jedi did a great review ...

Perhaps someone can do a comparision review w/ the American Standard / Standard Mfg (whatever their name is ... guess everyone has a pair of those by now??!?) ... That would be great but it would be a different story.

The only diff between the Alchim 2/3 is one is a round barrel and the other is oct but they don't post weights on their website.

I did find a posted weight on a Cimmaron ElMalo (octagon) 4 3/4 45 - at 39.68 oz and right along side of it a Cimmaron Mod P 4 3/4 45 - at 40 oz.

If those weights are accurate then there doesn't look to be too much difference. 

I would be more curious how they come out of a holster ... one that you have been using with a round barreled gun ...  but that would be another story/thread too. s10.gif.689c6edaf30b3712cb10672bd9635fbf.gif

3 hours ago, High Road, SASS #75137 said:

I have two pairs of Alchemista revolvers. The first pair I bought were the Alchemistas prior to them being offered with the lower, wider hammer. After the III Deluxe came out I bought a pair. The lower, wider hammer is a bit easier on my arthritic left thumb as I shoot either Duelist or Gf. I replaced the hammers on my first pair of pistols with the lowered hammers. I really like the 1860 grip frame so well that I have two pairs of 1860 revolvers, one pair of which has been cut down to belly gun size and they are a hoot and surprisingly accurate.

Regards

High Road

Howdy High Road!  

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

All I'm sayin is when I buy a pair, I'm blaming that Jed guy. :ph34r:

LOL... Uh-oh!  

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have this pair of Cimarron Eleminator 8s in 45 Colt that are Pietta with 60 Army grip frames,  lowered hammers, octagon barrels and short stroked.   Maybe I'll make a video on them over the winter.

We’ll look forward to it.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

EMF Great Western II Alchemista III, in .357 with 4.75” barrel = 2 lbs. 9 oz.

I don’t have one with a round barrel to compare the difference.  But, I did weigh my SASS Ruger, in the same caliber, and it weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. 

So... hmm...

23 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

You guys should start another thread ... Jedi did a great review ...

Perhaps someone can do a comparision review w/ the American Standard / Standard Mfg (whatever their name is ... guess everyone has a pair of those by now??!?) ... That would be great but it would be a different story.

The only diff between the Alchim 2/3 is one is a round barrel and the other is oct but they don't post weights on their website.

I did find a posted weight on a Cimmaron ElMalo (octagon) 4 3/4 45 - at 39.68 oz and right along side of it a Cimmaron Mod P 4 3/4 45 - at 40 oz.

If those weights are accurate then there doesn't look to be too much difference. 

I would be more curious how they come out of a holster ... one that you have been using with a round barreled gun ...  but that would be another story/thread too. s10.gif.689c6edaf30b3712cb10672bd9635fbf.gif

Thanks Patagonia.  I don’t have an holsters designed for using a round barrel revolver.  What can I say, I’m a little biased to the Octagon Barrel.  ;)

Octagon barrels, Army size grips? You guys are making this big pawed guy really, really want some of these!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, DeaconKC said:

Octagon barrels, Army size grips? You guys are making this big pawed guy really, really want some of these!

Always happy to be a bad influence. ;)

On 11/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

I thought I’d share my thoughts (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly) on the EMF Great Western II Alcehmista III I recently purchased off the SASS Wire Classified. 

Special “Thank you” to @appydan, SASS #67998

So this is what you were referring to on FB when we discussed Army grips on the Ruger review. I've already got a pair of Alchemsita IIs and love them in .45 Colt with 5-1/2" barrels.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:39 PM, Hendo said:

Outside of the barrel shape, is there any difference between the Alchemista II & III?

Nope unless you get the III DLX which has some engraving and different finish.

1 hour ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

So this is what you were referring to on FB when we discussed Army grips on the Ruger review. I've already got a pair of Alchemsita IIs and love them in .45 Colt with 5-1/2" barrels.

Nope unless you get the III DLX which has some engraving and different finish.

I just realized I tagged “Appy Dan” in my original post instead of “Happy Appy”. :wacko: It wasn’t until I read the quote you posted that I noticed it. I went back and edited my OP now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pietta really stepped up their game when they first started with their Great Western II line of revolvers.  Now various really nice models are available from Cimarron and Taylors, and not just EMF.   Thanks Jed I. Knight!

On 12/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, Hendo said:

Hey Jed! @Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

I got a pair of Alchimista IIs on order. 

Thanks Pard, and Merry Christmas...

Enjoy ‘em pard!

On 12/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, McCandless said:

Pietta really stepped up their game when they first started with their Great Western II line of revolvers.  Now various really nice models are available from Cimarron and Taylors, and not just EMF.   Thanks Jed I. Knight!

You’re Welcome. 

Archived