SASS Wire Forum

Walker Queries

I've shot Colt and Remington C&B's for about fifty years, but never a Walker.  But watching some YouTube videos got my curiosity up... those of you experienced with shooting Walkers, how and what do you feed 'em?  :huh:

Do you use a  loading stand?  What powder charge?  Round balls?  Conicals?  Over powder wads or over ball grease?

Do you use a capper?  

Do you need to secure the loading lever...?  How?   confused.gif

All I know about them, Hardpan, is they look heavy, the loading lever drops when they are fired, they make big smoke, they make big medicine. Did I mentioned that the loading lever drops when they are fired. 

Use 2f instead of 3f will cut way down on the loading lever dropping, you can also reshape the loading lever spring to STOP the lever from dropping. I don't use a loading stand. You can use up to 55gs of powder with a 457 RB. With less than 55 gs you can use an over powder lubed wad. With 55 gs probably best to use over the RB grease of your choice. If you want to use 3f and don't want to shape the loading lever spring then a small strip of leather will secure the lloading lever. I do use a capper.

Any ? pm me.

kR

Have any of y'all used conical bullets?

Dang!  I'm watching a Hickok 45 episode on YouTube... he's shooting a Dragoon an he PATCHED the balls!!  :blink:

Not something I would recommend... I'm surprised the patches didn't shred and strip off and jam the bejeebers outta the thing.  :huh:

A recently approved modification:

A set-screw may be installed on the frame of Colt Walker & Dragoon reproductions to keep the loading lever from dropping and tying up the action

SHB p.38

image.png

20 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Have any of y'all used conical bullets?

Dang!  I'm watching a Hickok 45 episode on YouTube... he's shooting a Dragoon an he PATCHED the balls!!  :blink:

Not something I would recommend... I'm surprised the patches didn't shred and strip off and jam the bejeebers outta the thing.  :huh:

Look up Hovie Smith. He hunts deer, hogs, alligators, about anything, with Walkers and Old Armies and uses a conical 255 grain designed by a guy named Kaido Ojamaa.

i like the idea of the "set screw" or a pin or something to hold the lever , funny colt didnt address it , save the fact they were already working on the replacements , they didn't expect us to ressurect them 150+ years later for competition , 

On 11/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Look up Hovie Smith. He hunts deer, hogs, alligators, about anything, with Walkers and Old Armies and uses a conical 255 grain designed by a guy named Kaido Ojamaa.

I have to ask...Lub these and put the small end into the cylinder...Then ram in???

Texas Lizard

Still learning on these things.....

9 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

I have to ask...Lub these and put the small end into the cylinder...Then ram in???

Texas Lizard

Still learning on these things.....

I have some Dick Dastardly Big Lube Bullets for the Ruger Old Army. Grooves were lubed in lubrisizer. Base first and seat with ram. I did not use these in an Old Army but in 45-70. As I understand bullets are cast soft (1:30/40 or simply pure lead) Bullets are sized to fit cylinders. There’s no ring shaved off to speak of, from what I understand. Explained to me they fit tight and I believe it’s theorized they possibly disrupt even tighter on ramming. No wads. There’s a big lube groove which also, aside from lubrication, provides satisfactory protection from chain fires. 

Do you have a lubrisizer and sizing die for your c&b revolver? I would think you would need to gauge your cylinders and posit make your cylinders uniform (ream them)?

If interested, I have a limited quantity and could send some if you a dozen or so. That offer stands for anyone provided they cover postage and understand the sizing deal. 

All interested PM me. I’d like to spread around what I have to all interested, not just one person taking them all. I’ll get a count tonight. I’ll give it a week to see who all is interested 

Mine are as cast at .457-.458. I used them for plainsman loads in 45-70. They are 230 grain, IIRC. They shot accurate for that purpose and look like a round in a 45-70 case

Also, the lube has dried out. They need to be relubed, as well as resized. I believe Italian c&b size to .452. Old Army at .454.

Archived