SASS Wire Forum

WTB - 3 gun set up in .38

Bandit Bill

Hello,

I am new to the sport but totally fell in love. After speaking with a few good ol' timers, I was given the advice "just buy once, and that in .38 spl." I really like the REAL guns, so .45 but would I want to pay double for reloads forever? I have also been told that shooting .38s you can be faster than with .45. I am not in it to win any WW championships, but you never know and I do not want to have to upgrade should it turn out that, with some practice, I am actually profissiant / good at it. Could happen :-) Those belt buckles sure are pretty!!!

So, I am looking for 2 Rugers, preferably already seen a gunsmith or with upgraded springs and such. I also need a lever gun in the same caliber, gladly already optimized for the sport as well. If I could stay around $2,000 that would be great. Should you have a great deal, from someone who is leaving the sport and just wants to make sure that their guns go to someone who will appreciate it, I promise to praise you name before every stage where I am free to say what I choose. I also promise to pay the favor forward some day!!

Located in Southern Florida, but have a local FFL as well. Please let me know what you have, I will answer every PM or reply as quickly as possible.

Thanks, 

Bandit Bill

Look right below your post at “ 

Rugers/Codymatic73/SKB for sale Fl“ 

Everything you are asking for in one pkg and even in Florida

Welcome!

The common lore is to run .38, and to run the same in revolvers and rifle (whatever caliber you choose), and run smokeless. Those are keys to speed!

But there is something about the feel of a fat round, and smoke (black powder). So while I agree, I took a different direction. But your direction was what I was going to do and there is nothing wrong with that choice!

Anyway, I think you may need to stretch a bit beyond $2,000 for your desires. Am curious about your desires for a shotgun.

Hi John,

I was hoping to get set up in the hobby for under $3,000 so spending most of that for the pistols and lever action. I wanted to not save on the leather, so $350 - $400 for that, then that just leaves around $400 for a coach double barrel shotgun with (hopefully) internal hammers. 

Quite an expensive sport to get in to, so I want to do everything right the first time and not have to re-buy guns later. I have not even shot a round on a stage thus far!!! Steep ticket price. Looks like a ton of fun though!

Tons o’fun for sure.

But trust me, once you’ve been here for a while, you’ll have more than four cowboy guns. They call your name, beckoning you to purchase them. Speed, nostalgia, just the plain ole cool factor....insert whatever reason/excuse you find most justifiable.

I’m at three sets match pistols, two rifles, and four shotguns an I am only three years in.

This is not to mention the three pairs of cap guns I haven’t ventured to shoot a match with  yet. 
Welcome, you’re gonna love it here!

Chert Rock.

Hi Chert,

Yes, I already feel the beginning of an addiction, but have to keep it under control in the beginning as the first price tag is so high, that my better half would notice. Then, adding to the collection piece by piece is not so painful. 

Thanks,

Bill

You haven't shot yet?

Go to a match and shoot some guns. In general, pards are willing to let you borrow and will spot you ammo for a run. Of course, if you keep showing up, start bringing your guns as you get them.

While you will likely change guns over time, the biggest money suck is to buy a gun you don't like.

Go to matches, make friends, and do some shooting. In terms of importance, you can skip the rest of this post.

Another thing you will likely want to add over time is a reloading setup. Right now, ammo is tight and reloading supplies (mainly primers) are even tighter. Ammo for this sport is more expensive than typical 9mm plinking ammo (ignoring the CoViDpocalypse price spike).

If you seriously get into attending and shooting monthly, the break-even point for reloading your ammo is about a year. I bought a year's worth of ammo in the spring as a brass source since I knew I would not have time this year to add reloading to my skills.

Anyway, that is a long-term purchase. Find some ammo, save the brass, get into reloading the following year.

Hi Bill!

I strongly recommend you go to a few local matches and watch. You should see how the game is played in your area. You may change your mind on how you want to proceed after you see the local shooters and match set ups. I wouldn't start by setting a price, rather FIRST determine if/how you really want to play the game (speed/to win approach?, historical approach?, TV/Film/Hollywood approach?, etc) then go about determining the price you are willing to pay. 

Thanks for the additional replies. The people I met at the match were really great. I will be going back and will let them know a head of time, instead of just showing up. 

I have been doing the math with purchased ammunition  based on the total lead sent down range in the 7 stages last Sunday. That also really makes the case for 38. If I take the prices at bulletsbyscarlett as a basis, that is a $64 vs. $90 day; 38 spl. / 45 respectively. Just for the brass ammo. 

I would also stick to the "flavor" of SASS that they are mostly shooting at my local group, so no need to look at blackpowder, wild bunch... at least at the beginning for me. 

Maybe I am going about this too logically, I just want to make sure I can start ASAP with my own guns and leather that I should be OK with for at least the first year(s).

I started sort of logically too but the "romance" got some consideration. So my rifle is too long and too pretty and the "wrong" brand (Winchester 1873 instead of Uberti) and "wrong" caliber (44-40).

My revolvers are chambered in .44 Special but I'm shooting .44 Russian out of them. That makes another "rule" I've broken, revolvers and rifle are not in the same caliber. There are good reasons for this rule.

For shotgun, I found a slicked dual-trigger Stoeger in 12 GA for a very fair price. I also found a pair of '97s at a fair price that I have not even shot yet so they kind of broke my budget. :lol: For the Stoeger, I'm soon going to be loading brass shells with Black Powder (sub).

In about a year, I expect to be running all BP loads.

That is what the "romance" did to my logic. You will be well-served sticking to your logic.

Anyway, for leather, after a lengthy search... .38 Special is more common so used holsters are mostly for the same... And I seem to be skinnier than most shooters so had rare choices in my size. Depending on these factors, you may have more luck with finding a used rig that fits you, your revolvers, and your caliber than I did.

If luck is not with you -- and it was not with me -- then take a look at the Mernickle SASS Starter Rig once you have your pistols. $300.00 and a couple of months wait will get you a new, functional, and sport-legal basic rig. That is what I have now. No reason it could not last a lifetime though you might eventually want changes and some "fancy" on it.

Having talked with some local makers, they do suggest waiting on commissioning a custom rig from them as it is a significant outlay and after a year of shooting I likely will want to make changes..

Get to some matches.

With proper safety gear, you can get pretty close to see different gear and categories.

Shoot what you like in cartridges and guns.

Some guns are faster.

The cost difference in .38 Sp and the most expensive rounds (like .38-40) is not that great unless you shoot every weekend.  It is certainly less than the cost of gas and food that are required on a match day.

I have everything you need...guns, ammo, clothes, etc. 

Ruger New Vaqueros with SBH hammers smoothed up and new springs, 1873 deluxe with 3rd gen C&I short stroke and full action work, Stoeger coach gun with chamfered & polished chambers. 
Several thousand rounds of 38 ammo in once fired Winchester brass, 125 gr TC. Shotgun shells loaded with Clays, 7 1/2 shot in once fired STS hulls. 
Several Kirkpatrick leather rigs, Doc Noper shotgun belt, bunch of clothes including some hats,,,even a gun cart. 
As your seeing, it will be tough to get everything your looking for without expanding your budget a bit. 
I’m in upstate SC.

If you have  any questions about anything, shoot me a message and we can connect.  

Thank you all for the suggestions and the good advice. I have learned much here. I also have a few really great people with whom I am regularly in contact. The cowboy community is totally exceptional!

I will have a pair of Vaqueros and a Codymatic by the end of the week. Now I just need a rig, double strong side... I think. Also looking for a Stoeger double barrel in 12 gage or tips for what to look for on gunbroker would also appreciated. 

I am just the kind of person who wants to have everything and give the sport a chance. If it does not work out, no big deal, the items are still valuable.

A huge yeehaw to @Waimea and @Mt. Zion Yellowboy

you both have really gone over and beyond to help with information and support getting into the hobby. Really great people here!!! Thanks again!

Wish everyone a wonderful ful Thanksgiving  and see you soon on the range!

Bandit Bill, you've made an excellent choice in rifle and pistols.  You've obviously done your research.  Stoeger is a pretty good shotgun too.  Waimea and Mt. Zion Yellowboy are good folks and won't steer you wrong.   Most Cowboy shooters reload.  Waimea is an excellent bullet supplier as is Scarlett.  It sounds like Waimea is probably local to you.  Preacherman had a couple of Dillon Square Deal presses for sale at the Ides of March match last weekend.  I don't know what caliber or if he sold them.   He can often be found in cahoots with Waimea if you're looking to get started in reloading.  

Welcome to the game.  And don't worry, you'll never run out of things to buy for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Bill if u are yet to find the shotgun then if u can find one that someone has and they are hard to find at this time look at the Charles Daly coming out of Turkey.  By the way call Jason at Broomstick Arms and talk to him about the Charles Daly.  He did one for me and they are as good as the SKB coming out of Japan.  SKB is planning to move to Turkey.  Buy a good one and be done with it.  Good luck and be safe and have a Blessed Thankgiving.  Happy

13 hours ago, Happy Appy said:

Bill if u are yet to find the shotgun then if u can find one that someone has and they are hard to find at this time look at the Charles Daly coming out of Turkey.  By the way call Jason at Broomstick Arms and talk to him about the Charles Daly.  He did one for me and they are as good as the SKB coming out of Japan.  SKB is planning to move to Turkey.  Buy a good one and be done with it.  Good luck and be safe and have a Blessed Thankgiving.  Happy

Happy

I have heard good things about these guns. I think Deuce Stevens was testing them a bit ago and gave them thumbs up.

And Jason, who owns Boomstick Arms,  is awesome to do business with. Great guy comes from a great family.

So many of you all to thank for the help, advise, and time. I have never been so warmly accepted in any new group. I feel right at home already! I look forward to meeting many of you in person one day. I have all shooting irons, rounds and leather that I need to get started and am so very much looking forward to it!!!!

Archived