SASS Wire Forum

Gun Storage Solution rod hangers

DeaconKC

A friend of mine uses them, and loves them. Besides working well (velcro tips still sticking to the sheet under the shelf which is not yet coming loose), he has not had to buy another safe since getting these; lots more long guns fit in a square foot. He does run dehumidifiers in his safes though 'cuz Tennessee.

On edit: Think he has had them about two years.

Set your lowest shelf just a little higher than your longest rifle/shotgun. Then use ammo cans or something similar under shorter guns. This makes them more secure and optimizes storage. It will take trial and error but eventually you will get it right. Also if you have a .17 cal you will want to order a 17 rod. 

Thank you all, I especially like the ammo can idea!

You cover the bottom of the lowest shelf in your safe with a Velcro cloth. The rods have Velcro on the top. You put the rod down into the barrel and place it where you want it and slide the rod up until the rod sticks to the bottom of the shelf and it holds the gun in place. 

Maybe I can get Santa to bring me a big bunch of this stuff for Christmas!!

I'm sure it makes it easier to store more long guns but it will still be a pain to get the ones in the back out. And with 4 SASS shooters in the family I take out a LOT of guns every shoot. No thanks, I just bought a safe that I can actually use.

I bought one pack of these and they are a great concept.  I did, however, have problems with some long guns.  Some shorter rifles like M4 length ARs didn't work well because of the length of the rods.  The rods weren't long enough for some guns and the plastic rods bent with some heavier guns.

I decided to make my own rods to fit my various long guns.  I bought brass rods at Lowes for .22 rifles and plastic shafted driveway markers (with the red reflector on top of the shaft - cut off the reflector) for larger caliber rifles.   I was still having a problem with short barreled shotguns; used golf shafts worked great for those.  I cut small wooden blocks and then used a drill press to put the right size hole for each rod.  I then epoxied each block onto the shafts.  I purchased some self sticking Velcro at WalMart and attached it to the top of the wooden blocks.  The adhesive on the Velcro wasn't strong enough so I used a staple gun to attach it better.

As others have stated,  It has at least doubled the capacity of one of my gun safes.  

I do have another safe that is now not nearly so crowded and that's where I keep the wife's and my main match guns for easy access. 

Digging to the back is not a problem. The industrial locker I will be using is not too deep. The footprint I will have to work with precludes a large enough traditional safe due to the front to back depth. I am limited to about 20" so this will have to work, and just deal with a "gun shuffle".

I already have to remove long guns to get to those further back in the safe. Having the long guns arranged so that they are less likely to incur damage when retrieving a certain gun is a big plus to me.  Using a small “riser" to get the shorter/smaller rifles and my shorter shotguns will allow me to store other handguns/parts/valuables in the safe too!!

Using the rod system also will allow me to store my “tactical” arms easily without removing opticals and such.

Ad to that the handgun storage system and the magazine organizers will make my safe work for a while longer without buying an additional safe!

Looks like the “Extreme” outfit is in my future.

Don't forget to remove the rod before you get to the loading table. :)

On the link in the OP, what is the point of the third picture in the ad showing the floor mat with a pulled up corner?

2 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Don't forget to remove the rod before you get to the loading table. :)

On the link in the OP, what is the point of the third picture in the ad showing the floor mat with a pulled up corner?

No idea, seems out of place doesn't it?

It’s a dense foam pad for the floor of your safe to protect your recoil pads and plastic butt plates.

I have a small safe.  The rod system lets me get more long guns in there.  Bought the kit from a vendor at a state match several years ago.

The vendor gave me a tip about using the rod to secure a 12 gauge shotgun.  Take a fired 20 gauge hull-it will fit into the muzzle of a 12 gauge.  Enlarge the flash hole enough to accept the plastic rod (I used a tapered punch).  Presto!  The hull acts as a bushing.

Archived