SASS Wire Forum

Check my math

Alpo

I was trying to decide which had the smaller perimeter, for the same area. I had decided on a square.

A square mile has four one mile long sides, making a four mile perimeter.

But if it was a rectangle two miles long by a half mile wide, it would still be one square mile, but would take two pieces of two mile long fence and two pieces of half mile long fence, making a five mile perimeter.

If you took a two mile long by one mile wide rectangle, and cut it into two right triangles, you would have 1 one mile long fence (a), 1 two mile long (b) fence, and the hypotenuse (c). A² (1) + B² (4) = C² (5), so C =√5 --- 2.236. 1+2+2.236=5.236. That's longer than the rectangle.

Then I thought about a circle. Area of a circle = πr².

1 ÷ π = r² = 0.318.

√r = √0.318 =0.564.

r = 0.564, so d (2r) = 1.128

Circumference of a circle = πd

d = 1.128 x π = 3.543

It appears that for the same area (in my example, one square mile), the perimeter of a circle is less than anything else.

Does that sound right to y'all, or have I forgot something? 11th grade geometry was a long damn time ago.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I was trying to decide which had the smaller perimeter, for the same area. I had decided on a square.

But if it was a rectangle two miles long by a half mile wide, it would still be one square mile, but would take two pieces of two mile long fence and two pieces of half mile long fence, making a five mile perimeter.

If you took a two mile long by one mile wide rectangle, and cut it into two right triangles, you would have 1 one mile long fence (a), 1 two mile long (b) fence, and the hypotenuse (c). A² (1) + B² (4) = C² (5), so C =√5 --- 2.236. 1+2+2.236=5.236. That's longer than the rectangle.

1 ÷ π = r² = 0.318.

√r = √0.318 =0.564.

d = 1.128 x π = 3.543

It appears that for the same area (in my example, one square mile), the perimeter of a circle is less than anything else.

Does that sound right to y'all, or have I forgot something? 11th grade geometry was a long damn time ago.

Yes, Circles contain the most area of any shape relative to circumference/perimeter.

d = 1.128 x π = 3.543

C = 1.128 x π = 3.543

Other than this typo, you are correct.

Consider a triangle, the area A = 1/2 base X height

A rectangle area A = base X height

A pentagon...

A hexagon...

A septagon...

An octagon....

A circle!

so what on earth prompted you go on this geometric journey ? you looking to buy land or buy fence ? seldom find a parcel of land in a rectangle or circular and the fence salesman will wonder at selling you a circular fence - but hey it was a fun walk down memory lane 

28 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Other than this typo, you are correct

That wasn't a typo.

The circumference of a circle is pi times the diameter. πd

d (diameter) = 1.128

Take that 1.128 and multiply it by pi and you get an answer.

14 minutes ago, watab kid said:

so what on earth prompted you go on this geometric journey ? you looking to buy land or buy fence ? seldom find a parcel of land in a rectangle or circular and the fence salesman will wonder at selling you a circular fence - but hey it was a fun walk down memory lane 

I was thinking about Louis L'Amour. One of his "these are true about me" stories (possibly in Yondering).

He is in Death Vallley, he is at a water hole, and there is a hubcap. He washed out the hubcap and then beat it into a different shape with a rock, so that he could use it to carry water.

That got me to thinking about if you had a bucket which held, for example, one gallon, and you reshaped the metal bucket, would it then hold more or less than a gallon.

Then I left my bucket and went to fences because area is easier to work with than volume. Two dimensions versus three.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That wasn't a typo.

The circumference of a circle is pi times the diameter. πd

d (diameter) = 1.128

Take that 1.128 and multiply it by pi and you get an answer.

C = 2πr =  πd = 1.128π

I may be drunk, but it is a typo.

On edit: You essentially have d = dπ

You may consider it a mistake, but a typo is when I accidentally typed something that I did not mean to type.

I meant to type "d", therefore it is not a typo.

You are looking at it as a formula

C (circumference) equals blah x blah x blah

I wrote it as what the values are

d equals 1.128, then you take that 1.128 and you multiply it by pi

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I was thinking about Louis L'Amour. One of his "these are true about me" stories (possibly in Yondering).

He is in Death Vallley, he is at a water hole, and there is a hubcap. He washed out the hubcap and then beat it into a different shape with a rock, so that he could use it to carry water.

That got me to thinking about if you had a bucket which held, for example, one gallon, and you reshaped the metal bucket, would it then hold more or less than a gallon.

Then I left my bucket and went to fences because area is easier to work with than volume. Two dimensions versus three.

True two dimensions is easier than three.

So consider a hubcap that is a slice out of a sphere. If it could be beat into a sphere, it would hold more water for the surface area of the disc (assuming the metal was not thinned as a result of working it). You are correct in your simplification to two dimensions, if the hubcap was beat into a cube, it would hold less than the maximum amount of water.

Now I'm thinking... Could, for a given surface area (with an open top!), a section of a sphere hold more water than a sphere? Too drunk to tackle it, probably will interfere with sleep now that I raised the question in my mind.

Because while a circle maximizes area and a sphere maximizes volume, an open top container needs no material on top to hold contents... So is there some bowl shape which has a greater volume than a sphere of the same surface area?

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You may consider it a mistake, but a typo is when I accidentally typed something that I did not mean to type.

I meant to type "d", therefore it is not a typo.

You are looking at it as a formula

C (circumference) equals blah x blah x blah

I wrote it as what the values are

d equals 1.128, then you take that 1.128 and you multiply it by pi

I am an engineer.

I DON'T CARE!!!

The only farmer math I learned was: The measurement of an acre is:  9 corn rows wide and 1/4 mile long.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

1 ÷ π = r² = 0.318.

√r = √0.318 =0.564.

d = 1.128 x π = 3.543

I used to teach math.  Never could get the hang of it.  Sad commentary on our school systems around the nation.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

i never would have gone there but it makes sense to me , i was an architect/contractor in my previous life so i jumped to conclusion on the land measurements and not without some justification given the presentation but i see where you were going , 

now - just to stir the pot a bit your land measurements are single plane - the hubcap after being distressed has three dimensions , you are not only talking about linear measure and the surface area now your talking volume , 

If a sphere can hold the greatest volume for a given surface area then 1/2 a sphere will still hold the greatest volume over any other open top shape.

If you want it to be a closed or nearly closed container then it still needs to be in the shape of a sphere.

Foa sphere with a radius of 10mm

image.png.ef143488604d2e7a848367b7baead1c8.png  1/2 sphere with no top = 2094.395 Cubic cm

image.png.1f2246af69573d7065911f9d11760183.pngArea of 1/2 sphere with no top = 628.31853 Square cm

A sphere with a surface area of 628.31853 has a volume of 1480 cubic cm

A sphere maximizes volume to surface area.  In other words a round lead ball has less surface area than any other shape with the same weight

Which is one of the reasons why a pure lead ball can poke a hole through a deer (or enemy personnel) out of a muzzle loading firearm so efficiently.

Dang, SD outdrew me!  

Again.

:ph34r:

It must have already turned too cold to venture outside in some areas. Might be a long dark winter......

So if cleanshot powder has a density of .65grams/cc, How many cc's to give me .45 grains? That's a more useful math question. (and I already know the answer, I think.

22 minutes ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

It must have already turned too cold to venture outside in some areas. Might be a long dark winter......

So if cleanshot powder has a density of .65grams/cc, How many cc's to give me .45 grains? That's a more useful math question. (and I already know the answer, I think.

4.49 ccs if you mean 45 grains. If you mean .45 grains then .0449 ccs

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

What size are your rows?

Whatever the planter pulled behind the mules measures.

Archived