SASS Wire Forum

FOR SALE Chaparral 1876 in .45-60

How many shells does it hold in the magazine?

Blacky:

I'm sorry I can't tell you the answer to that question, I never checked (I always shot it single-loading).  I have a friend with one of these, and I'll try to check with him on the answer and get back to you.

And I neglected to mention in the original listing that I do NOT have the original box or papers for this gun.

Aravaipa Al

Red:

Thanks for the info, but just to be sure-- does your rifle have a 22 inch barrel, or a 28 inch barrel?  This one I'm selling has a 22 inch barrel.

Al

Springfield Slim:

My friend with the same gun (Chaparral 1876 in .45-60, 22 inch barrel) says that his gun holds 7 rounds in the magazine.

And Okiepan:

Brass for this gun can be made from .45-70 brass.  These guns were made, like the original 1876s, in 4 calibers, of which 2 (.40-60 and .45-60) had brass based on the .45-70 case, and the other 2 (.45-75 and .50-95) were not.

Aravaipa Al

Okay, correction: 

My friend with the same gun actually has SEVERAL of these guns, and he checked them last night and called me back with this update:

A "short rifle" with a 22 inch barrel will hold 8 rounds in the magazine, unless it's a saddle-ring carbine, in which case it will hold 7.  The rifle with the 26-inch barrel will hold 10 rounds in the magazine.  And the rifle with the 28-inch barrel will hold 11 rounds in the magazine.

Jus' sayin'.

Aravaipa Al

Archived