SASS Wire Forum

What Would You Pay For A Pigeon?

Cypress Sun

Lotsa difference in racing pigeons and barn birds.  Pigeon racing is a big deal in Europe and Asia...much more than here.  Have a friend in South Georgia that has raced  them for 35 years now.  Intensely competitive he bought good birds for a while and now sells quite a few for big bucks.  Not anything like this deal but it makes him pocket change and some.  The biggest smile I’ve seen is when he clocks in a day bird on a 500 mile race. To me that is phenomenal but they can do it when conditions are optimal 

5 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Lotsa difference in racing pigeons and barn birds.  Pigeon racing is a big deal in Europe and Asia...much more than here.  Have a friend in South Georgia

South Georgia?  A place near Florida?  OR?

a place in the South Atlantic near Argentina and claimed by Great Britain?  OR

an area in the border of Europe and Asia, disputed with Russia.

My mom said my grandpa used to shoot em and my grandma would cook em! I never had them myself! 
Anyone else eat them ?

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My mom said my grandpa used to shoot em and my grandma would cook em! I never had them myself! 
Anyone else eat them ?

Yep. Not much of a meal though. 

2 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Yep. Not much of a meal though. 

Probably need a ton of them!

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Yep, and seasoning. 

Well my grandma was one helluva cook so there that! :)

once - long ago , i had pigeon for dinner , shot them myself , cooked em myself and with the potatoes and vegies it made a god meal , think that box of 12 ga cost me about $3.29 back then , i got three and shot three times - you do the math , 

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Like Cornish game hens?  Waste of time, effort, and spices.

Not during the Depression when Gramps had a shotgun and plenty of pigeons and doves around his yard! Nothing was a waste in them days.

I eat them from time to time.  We dont waste stuff either.   Rabbits and squirrels in the gardens get cooked too

On 11/15/2020 at 8:17 AM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Lotsa difference in racing pigeons and barn birds.  Pigeon racing is a big deal in Europe and Asia...much more than here.  Have a friend in South Georgia that has raced  them for 35 years now.  Intensely competitive he bought good birds for a while and now sells quite a few for big bucks.  Not anything like this deal but it makes him pocket change and some.  The biggest smile I’ve seen is when he clocks in a day bird on a 500 mile race. To me that is phenomenal but they can do it when conditions are optimal 

Race them past my barn and I'll shoot them out of the sky.

Back in the late 1960's me and one other guy from the ROTC rifle team got hired by our universtiy to shoot pigeons on the weekends.  They made a horrible mess that was clogging up the AC units.  They gave us pellet rifles and a burlap bag.  It was amazing how far you could kill one with a pellet rifle and on many shots you could see the pellet going through the air.  At the end of the day we took the bloody burlap bags to the landfill.  Local hippies would take them to cook explaining that they were squabs and a delicacy in restaurants.  Crummy anti-war leftist professor saw us one Sunday and got us fired.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Not during the Depression when Gramps had a shotgun and plenty of pigeons and doves around his yard! Nothing was a waste in them days.

Before my time.

What are you laughing at.  I look older than I am.  Genetics, you know. :P

7 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Back in the late 1960's me and one other guy from the ROTC rifle team got hired by our universtiy to shoot pigeons on the weekends.  They made a horrible mess that was clogging up the AC units.  They gave us pellet rifles and a burlap bag.  It was amazing how far you could kill one with a pellet rifle and on many shots you could see the pellet going through the air.  At the end of the day we took the bloody burlap bags to the landfill.  Local hippies would take them to cook explaining that they were squabs and a delicacy in restaurants.  Crummy anti-war leftist professor saw us one Sunday and got us fired.

actually those hippies were only half right - squab is the young ones robbed from the nest - it was considered a delicacy , i never could see it there was way too little on the adults to waste time on the hatchlings 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

actually those hippies were only half right - squab is the young ones robbed from the nest - it was considered a delicacy , i never could see it there was way too little on the adults to waste time on the hatchlings 

That's why I was never excited about hunting doves and pigeons are way bigger than doves.

Many years ago, one of my side-jobs at the co-op (in Oregon) was pest control.

I had successfully eradicated the pigeon population and hadn't seen any for about five years or so.

Then, one day a lone pigeon landed near our grain loading facility and was feeding on some wheat spillage in a gravel lot.

Grabbing a single-shot 12ga., I stepped out of the front office and dispatched the varmint before it could fly away to spread the word.

When I went to dispose of the remains, I noticed that it had a leg-band.
Entered the band ID into the AU database & discovered that it was a racing pigeon registered in Georgia.

image.png

As to the size, while pigeons might be different, that might be the reason the rhyme goes "four and twenty black birds baked in a pie".

(also no mention of the size of the pie, lol)

I know when I was invited to go dove hunting I  locked at them when it was all done thinking, "and that's all there is left?"

On 11/17/2020 at 6:16 PM, watab kid said:

I’m surprised hippies actually killed something and ate it!!:lol:

i doubt they would - that was the aristocracy in france that ate the young , but then it did carry over to here for a while - im surprised PETA has not come out against it tho ....or maybe the did , 

Archived