SASS Wire Forum

Laser Engraving

DAYTON DAVE

I’d like to have some engraving done on my Cattleman and don’t wanna wait a year to get it back.  I was thinking about Laser Engraving and was interested in your input on this.  Has anyone had laser engraving done.  How does it hold up on wear, is it worth it, turn around time and who do you recommend. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. 
   Thanks to all,

Dayton Dave

I prefer real hammer and chisle engraving.

It is never perfect and looks hand done by an artist.

I like that look.

Laser engraving on wood looks fine but you know it was laser engraved because the art work is perfect and not hand done.

You have to decide what you want and the look.

Laser engraving has come a long way in recent years, some being hand-chased, and some looking quite nice (for the price).  But, isn't that something that only the factories can do?  I'm talking about swirls and such on the frame, barrel, etc.  I was not aware that folks like Taz could do guns like that.

Not a laser engraver but Contact Jim Downing. Unfortunately I can't remember his alias but he is a SASS shooter and a world class engraver, 

https://thegunengraver.com/ 

His work is very reasonably priced.

Pricing: Most people who know my work just hand me a gun with a vague idea of the price range they have in mind and I take it from there, creating an engraving around the shape of the gun and the price range. Others give me a photo of a classic style from my web site or Facebook and I work from that. Either way is fine. The price depends not on the material I cut, whether brass, stainless steel, blue steel, etc… but on the style, coverage, detail, and background. Gunsmithing, bluing and shipping is on top of that

The Process is….After speaking with you I would write a detailed order form and take a deposit of $100 per gun to add your order to my queue. I do not want the gun till I am ready to engrave it. It might be a year till I reach your name on my list. I would have you ship the gun then and  usually just a few weeks is all I need for the actual engraving . Knives and other small jobs might take only a couple of weeks. Once we have spoken about the job I can give you a firm price and time frame. 

I have guns hand engraved by Aspen Filly, Larry Hopewell, D.W. Harris and Jim Downing....

All of them are absolutely Beautiful !!

I recently had one of my Miroku Winchester's Laser Engraved.... It looks Really Nice.

BUT sitting side by side with the others.......... It looks like a Ford Pinto sitting in a group of Ferrari's 

This is hand chased laser engraving.  Uberti and Pietta offers it on occasion.   It is a nice combo  I think.   But not offered on a customer's gun.   Any  number of actual engravers can get it done in months not years.  But cost is gonna be many times what your Uberti is worth.   Cheaper by far and immediate to just buy a hand chased laser engraved gun.

img_1566-jpg.378025

Sam Cherry give her a call, the real engraving ... http://www.cherrys.com/samanthacherry.htm.

Here is some of her work..  Sorry you have to down load to see.  This is my main match guns.  1851 Colt 2nd gen guns engraved by Sam Cherry.  If she isn't backed up she will do a good job and get the gun back to you quick.  Her family owns Cherry's Guns.  Refinish is by Turnbull-Nickel, Case Hardening, and Blueing.

403716A4-DF74-424A-80DF-630A95568EA5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b7c780dc278806d8d384e8a3bfe97a68.jpeg

I much prefer hand engraving.  Using a laser to try to duplicate hand engraving patterns looks odd.  But, in the 19th century there were some guns that were etched. Since lasers leave a finish much like etching, I would love to see someone duplicate original etching patters with a laser.  

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Pee Wee, what is a .HEIC file?  My Windows 7 laptop can't doesn't have a program that will open it

It is something Apple came up with about 2014. Like .jpg it is a compression algorithm to reduce the physical size of digital photos. It is actually better than .jpg however outside of Apple products it is not used.

im going to say this out loud after thinking on it for a very long time - when i started this game i was a pretty plain sort , i like good lines and fine mechanics , ive never been a glitzy sort , always went plain utility grade tool for the job , much as i imagined the westerners did - spending frugally but with some consideration to quality as their finances allowed , 

that said i now own two lazer engraved EMFs that i would never have looked at before - i like em and will shoot them dont care about the bling at all - liked the revolvers , but these are not the next step you are discussing here obviously , 

im needing a real hand tool engraved revolver ...i think 

• 1 month later...

Drop me a line!!would love to help you accomplish that goal!!

On 11/15/2020 at 10:16 AM, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Aspen Filly in CO does some VERY nice laser engraving.  You see a lot of her work in the West. Quick turnaround times and reasonable cost.

Hand engraving-no laser engraving for me! But thanks for the plug Happy Jack!!!

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

And technically that would be hand engraving 

Or gravel engraving, sometimes tailgate engraving.  I've use lots of precision tools for engraving.

10 hours ago, Aspen Filly 50535 said:

Drop me a line!!would love to help you accomplish that goal!!

There is not many that have given to the sport as Aspen Filly has in the past, she goes above and beyond to help the shooters, she is one of the best in the sport and a world class engraver!

Awww Thanks Colorado Jackson and Happy Jack!!! :-D

I love this sport, and I love the people!! And I love to engrave!!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, Aspen Filly 50535 said:

Awww Thanks Colorado Jackson and Happy Jack!!! :-D

I love this sport, and I love the people!! And I love to engrave!!! LOL

That's how excellence/quality happens....loving what you do. When it comes time for me to have something engraved, what you stated will cause me to contact you. 

Love is the key. 

Archived