SASS Wire Forum

RELOADING POWDERS

Just made a discovery for me. According to the reloading page over @ the CMP forum, Winchester W296 and Hodgdon's H110 are the same powder, different package. There apparently are some cautions about using reduced loads in the W296, But Hodgdon doesn't say anything about it

with their H110. 

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

H4895 is very amenable to reduced loads.
It is impossible to find... but still amenable.

D8A5DAFA-FAAB-43E8-8C62-EECEE8662149.jpeg.dedafaf3f205f5dcda6df747f4090cd7.jpeg

search for H4895 reduced load...

I made some pipsqueek loads for my .270 because of shoulder problems and took 3 deer with them in 2018 and 2019.  A nice option.

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

H4895 is very amenable to reduced loads.
It is impossible to find... but still amenable.

It is. I use it for reduced loads for kids. Good for target and hunting with low cost cup and core bullets.

But it’s not a pistol powder

20 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Just made a discovery for me. According to the reloading page over @ the CMP forum, Winchester W296 and Hodgdon's H110 are the same powder, different package. There apparently are some cautions about using reduced loads in the W296, But Hodgdon doesn't say anything about it

with their H110. 

Call Hodgdon. Last I heard they recommend no loads less than 3% of starting loads for 232 or H110. A pistol silhouette shooter/gunsmith I know that shoots a lot of those powders always told never go below minimum loads due to possibility of powder detonation.

On another note I have heard people say the Alliant Unique and Hodgdon Universal powders are the very similar and can be loaded using the same data. NOT TRUE! 

They weigh differently and cannot be loaded the same grain for grain. Don’t buy into that gun counter myth. 

Archived