SASS Wire Forum

And the weekend started great

Utah Bob #35998

Water heater sprung a leak. Went outside to turn the water off and it started snowing. Can’t locate the leak. None of the fittings are leaking. Gonna have to drain it and pull it out. :angry:

Did it stop snowing when you went back inside? Just trying to figure out if there’s a connection.

Water heater sounds like no fun. Good luck with that one.

The warrantee on the heater was up last July. How fo they do that??

It usually takes one of these adventures before a fella truly appreciates the catch pan and external drain that should be under the heater.
If they make it to 15 years, I do a preemptive strike and replace it on my terms, instead of on its terms.

15 minutes ago, watab kid said:

your water heater is outside ? 

Mine was at my last house. The heater when I moved in was a 20 gallon electric underneath the kitchen counter. When I replaced it with a 50 gallon gas it wouldn't fit there. So it was installed in the backyard, underneath a roof. I build up a couple of plywood walls to block the wind, and wrapped it in one of them insulation blankets. Worked real good.

But then, I don't live up in the mountains where you get several months of that cold wet white stuff.

I doubt that Bob's heater is outside. I suspect he was referring to the water cutoff valve to the house.

I am told in San Diego they now require water heaters installed outside the house.
Not only do you get to replumb the lines... your heater gets destroyed quickly by the salt air.

Our place is grandathered, with an existing heater in the laundry room.
I replaced it in 2016 before we put the house up for rent.
I do NOT need water heater problems in a rental.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

It usually takes one of these adventures before a fella truly appreciates the catch pan and external drain that should be under the heater.
If they make it to 15 years, I do a preemptive strike and replace it on my terms, instead of on its terms.

And dump a bucket of water down that drain every few months to check for obstructions.

Are tankless units required to be outside?

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

your water heater is outside ? 

No. The water shut of is.There’s also one inside on top of the tank but I hade to shut the whole house down to get that disconnected while I moved the tank out.

And unfortunately there’s not enough room for a drain pan in the small space where the heater goes unlearn I remove part of a wall between it and the freezer. 

I figure by the time this one goes bad I’ll be too old to fix it and have to call a plumber. Or I’ll be dead and it will be a moot point. ;)

Sun’s coming up. Got the new heater in the truck. Got a 30 gal instead of the 54. Should be easier to haul up the back porch steps anyway,

A person should replace the Anode every so often.I dont really know if it helps the life of it.

Largo

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And unfortunately there’s not enough room for a drain pan in the small space where the heater goes unlearn I remove part of a wall between it and the freezer. 

My house was built in 1960, and I had the same problem.
The new water heater would not fit in the garage-side alcove that intruded into the kitch.
We were in the middle of a kitchen renovation, so I chose to move the alcove wall and enlarge the water heater space.
My motorcycle jack proved to be very handy for hefting the new heater and catch pan into place.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:37 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No. The water shut of is.There’s also one inside on top of the tank but I hade to shut the whole house down to get that disconnected while I moved the tank out.

I figure by the time this one goes bad I’ll be too old to fix it and have to call a plumber. Or I’ll be dead and it will be a moot point. ;)

i guess ive never lived long enough south to understand this - even with the original roots in arkansas i dont remember - generally three to six months back in the day , i might have to wrap my head round a whole bunch of new ideas one day soon , sounds like the UBC is changing too in some areas of the country outside of what i practiced in , gettin old aint for sissys , 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:35 AM, largo casey #19191 said:

A person should replace the Anode every so often.I dont really know if it helps the life of it.

Largo

The anode is what is called a sacrificial anode if there is galvanic corrosion the anode which is made of zinc will corrode first thus saving the tank. Galvanic corrosion occurs when there are two dissimilar in close contact in an electrolytic environment. We put about 30 lbs of zincs in our condensers on the ship I was on and replaced them on a regular basis.

We bought this house in 99, and weren't sure of the age of the water heater at the time. It finally started leaking this summer. Called a plumber through our home warranty co. and it paid a ;little over 60% of the replacement cost. When he got the old one out he told us that according to the serial number it was at least 30 years old.  I'd that was pretty damn good!!

Water heater started leaking last fall.  After a week of research, I ordered a hybrid model that has a heat pump.  Cost me twice what a regular one does, but this one is way more efficient, and saves me significantly on electricity, and has a 10 year warranty.  No issues with installation...its in an open basement area.  

3 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Water shut off for this house is in underneath behind the skirting. Not a whole lot of height under there!. The shutoff from the street is missing in action! Almost all of them on this street can't be found!:rolleyes::o:blush:

Have you tried GPR? They use it on TV all the time. B)

9 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Water Heater is in, can we all come over for a hot tub party? 

Wear a mask. And all your clothes!

15 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

We bought this house in 99, and weren't sure of the age of the water heater at the time. It finally started leaking this summer. Called a plumber through our home warranty co. and it paid a ;little over 60% of the replacement cost. When he got the old one out he told us that according to the serial number it was at least 30 years old.  I'd that was pretty damn good!!

They don’t build em like that anymore.

Up here, we have to bury all the water and sewer lines below the frost line, to prevent freezing.

Water tanks, on-demand systems etc. all have to be inside.

Outside hose bibs have to be drained in the fall to prevent freezing and burst pipes.

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Up here, we have to bury all the water and sewer lines below the frost line, to prevent freezing.

Water tanks, on-demand systems etc. all have to be inside.

Outside hose bibs have to be drained in the fall to prevent freezing and burst pipes.

Same here. We also have freeze proof hydrants.

Archived