SASS Wire Forum

Hunting season

Utah Bob #35998

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

. I never could understand why somebody would say, how somebody could say, "Look at that big, huge beautiful creature! Let's kill it and hang it on the wall!" That never sat well with me and it never made sense to me.

I had a boss who enjoyed the hunt and liked his trophy mounts.  He kept a little of the meat, enough for 2 or 3 meals.   Gave the rest to the guide or a soup kitchen in the area he hunted in.  I  didn't see the point in it for years.  Then it dawned on me that he liked the thrill of the hunt and kill, and he was racking up good memories. 

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

MizPete

I've done some hunting in my time albeit for meat. I don't do much anymore although I greatly enjoy the time outdoors, generally taking pictures. I never could understand why somebody would say, how somebody could say, "Look at that big, huge beautiful creature! Let's kill it and hang it on the wall!" That never sat well with me and it never made sense to me. I like seeing those big beautiful creatures live where they live and do what they do. I won't turn down a venison steak or an elk steak but I'm not going out to shoot the critter anymore.  I can think of plenty other trophies I would just as soon have rather than dead animals.

The problem is that we have destroyed habitat in the name of progress. We have eliminated predators to protect livestock and humans. Therefore the balance of nature has been disturbed to the extent that wildlife herds need to be hunted to keep their numbers to levels that can be supported by their local habitat and to prevent plagues like Chronic Wasting Disease from decimating the populations to the point of extinction.

I do not choose to hunt but I support the practice of responsible wildlife management through legal hunting. The hunters’ particular frame of mind, motivation, and rationale are their own.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:32 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Who here uses a SASS legal gun to hunt with?

Seamus

I use a .44 mag Rossi and Winchester occasionally. Kaye has used a .44 Marlin to good effect as has my son. 

I have hunted since I was 7 or 8 years old. I came from generations of hunters and fisherman. We were taught that EVERYTHING we shot (except predators) was to be used as food for the family. I love to eat everything I shoot. That being said, I have trimmed down the animals I hunt. I don't particularly like to eat waterfowl, so I don't hunt them anymore.Certain fish I catch get released for the same reason. I do have mounts of some of the fish and animals I have taken and I don't have a problem with this, as previously said....memories. 

On 11/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

elkspotting 2020.jpg

Now that I know the GPS coordinates of the LBR, I can swing by and judge for myself if it is an actual ranch.

I, in fact, surmise that it is as much of a ranch as my very own El Rancho Relaxo.

11 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Now that I know the GPS coordinates of the LBR, I can swing by and judge for myself if it is an actual ranch.

I, in fact, surmise that it is as much of a ranch as my very own El Rancho Relaxo.

I have never claimed it was a working ranch. Our official motto is. No crops, No cattle, No problem. :lol:

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Is that rifle silenced?  I wish I could do that to my hunting rifle. 

How much quieter does it make it?  It's still not hearing safe, right? 

Yes, Their Dad has suppressors on all their hunting rifles.  Cuts down on the noise a lot but hearing protection is still needed as the rounds are supersonic.

I haven't had the pleasure of shooting one. Hope to get in a little range time next year if we get to visit. They Live in Northern Idaho

I have hunted all of my life. I really like elk and moose. Even well buthered venison is not my cup of tea and I don't  care for antelope meat. I have been a handgun hinter since Smith and Wesson made the .44 Magnum. Before that, I hunted deer with the .35 Remington Marlin Model 36 that I bought as a teenager from Sears. and antelope and elk with my Browning semi auto in .338 Remington Magnum. I got a buffalo with my C. Sharps .50-140 using black powder and 650 grain Postel bullet. That meat was delicious. I use one of my tens for birds.

Idon't care for bear meat so I don't hunt them. Since I'm i live in grizzley country,  I go armed in the forest but propose to leave them alone if they leave me alone..

I have hunted all of my life. I really like elk and moose. Even well buthered venison is not my cup of tea and I don't  care for antelope meat. I have been a handgun hinter since Smith and Wesson made the .44 Magnum. Before that, I hunted deer with the .35 Remington Marlin Model 36 that I bought as a teenager from Sears. and antelope and elk with my Browning semi auto in .338 Remington Magnum. I got a buffalo with my C. Sharps .50-140 using black powder and a 650 grain Postel bullet. That meat was delicious. I use one of my tens for birds usually my semi auto. My moose is Canadian. You have to win a chance to hunt one a lifetime here.

I don't care for bear meat so I don't hunt them. Since I live in grizzly country,  I go armed in the forest but propose to leave them alone if they leave me alone..

The last two years, I used my walker for elk hunting.. My balance sucks and it's also handy for a seat.

I could shoot deer right out of my bedroom window but there's no room in my freezer.

I plan to hunt until I die.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:32 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus

When doing a push, I used to carry my Rossi Puma in .44 mag and I took a couple of dumb ones with it.

The first year I had my '66 Yellow Boy in .45 Colt I managed to get a nice buck from a hide and I have since taken deer with my .45-70 1885 and my Rolling block. 

On 11/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus

The last few years all the deer ive have taken have been with sass guns. Mostly vaqueros or remington 58s.  But a  16 ga comes out a lot.   I think I only have 5 guns now that aren't sass legal.    This year my son started hunting and used  his grandfather's first gun a single shot .410

We hunt to fill the freezer and do the butchering ourselves.   3 shots 3 deer.   $37 for tags and 5 for shells. A little gas and a couple busy weekends and we have over 200lbs of meat.   Try buying it in the store for that.   Most of the antlers are made into handles or used in projects.    I don't hunt birds yet but plan to next year.     We get to elk hunt some years but again it's about most meat possible.  I can't raise a beef for the price of what I can shoot an elk for

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

The last few years all the deer ive have taken have been with sass guns. Mostly vaqueros or remington 58s.  But a  16 ga comes out a lot.   I think I only have 5 guns now that aren't sass legal.    This year my son started hunting and used  his grandfather's first gun a single shot .410

We hunt to fill the freezer and do the butchering ourselves.   3 shots 3 deer.   $37 for tags and 5 for shells. A little gas and a couple busy weekends and we have over 200lbs of meat.   Try buying it in the store for that.   Most of the antlers are made into handles or used in projects.    I don't hunt birds yet but plan to next year.     We get to elk hunt some years but again it's about most meat possible.  I can't raise a beef for the price of what I can shoot an elk for

You also don't get hormones, steroids and other artificial crap in you meat. 

Archived